Tarp Taut Hitch knot Tutorial ! thank you.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

the interceptor boy

Life Member
Mar 12, 2008
Angleterre.
Hi Everyone,
Please I was wandering if anyone of the more experienced members here could do a Tutorial on the Mr. Mears Tarp Taut Hitch! As this knot has been eluded me for a while now. I know there is a lot of info’s' on the web, e.g. YouTube etc. but it is not always clear and precise on how to tie the knot properly.
Please no negative silly comments from silly minded members.
Any Genuine comments would be appreciated.
Thank you
The interceptor boy.

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
Hi Everyone,
Please I was wandering if anyone of the more experienced members here could do a Tutorial on the Mr. Mears Tarp Taut Hitch! As this knot has been eluded me for a while now. I know there is a lot of info’s' on the web, e.g. YouTube etc. but it is not always clear and precise on how to tie the knot properly.
Please no negative silly comments from silly minded members.
Any Genuine comments would be appreciated.
Thank you
The interceptor boy.

Hi mate,

Animated knots site have got a pictorial of the truckers hitch/haymakers hitch. :D

the interceptor boy

Life Member
Mar 12, 2008
Angleterre.
Hi cobweb,
thanks for the link, but i think its not the same as yours is simillar to the Ajustable Slippery loop instead of the Tarp Taut Hitch or the Tarp Taut Hitch knot in Mr Ray mears Book Page 137.
Cheers
the interceptor boy.

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
Oh, I think I know the one you want.. I've looked online for the one you ant and I can't find it anywherer so I'll try to describe the process...

First you set up your evenk hitch on one side of the tarp. The other side is as follows...

Take the rope around the tree and pull as hard as you can, then take the rope over the line that runs to the tarp, then pass it under he line and around the tree again.
Pull tight.
It should be a U shape around the tarp line. Next, take the loose rope that you just put around the tree and repeat on the opposite side of the tree. finish with a slippery hitch.

Does that help?

Ps, there is a much better way of tensioning your tarp line, it's called the power cinch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VRtTdsRW2U see at timestamp 3:16

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Round turn n 2 half hitches (yeh old school i know :rolleyes: but it works and is secure)
Constrictor knot
Double over hand --- as a stopper
Double fishermans Bend ---- two of above to get a variable rope loop or join 2 bits of cord
Taut LINE hitch ( as appossed to Taut Tarp RM very diff knot) --- used as a guy rope tensioner its like a rolling hitch but important to over wrap the second turn on the first similer to Cobwebs first vid which is a variation i havent seen and will try
Klemhiest ----- to tension tarp hanging on a line
Over hand knot loop ----- to fix perminate lines to a tarp

Perfection loop ----very good loop easy to undo after loading and holds in slippery cord like thin bungie and mono filament (im told)

really dont like the Evenk slippery hitch never looks safe to me the load is taken by the release loop

i usually use the RM taut method of wrapping the tree to give the 2-1 pully advantage to tighten the rope then finish with a Slip half hitch and a couple of half hitches in the slip bight with the tail passed back thro the Bight as a safty

ATB

Duncan

oops got mixed with the Whats your Fav knots thread

bushblade

Nomad
Jul 5, 2003
West Yorkshire
www.bushblade.co.uk
Tarpandhammocksequenc019-1.jpg

Tarpandhammocksequenc020.jpg

Tarpandhammocksequenc021.jpg

Tarpandhammocksequenc022.jpg

Tarpandhammocksequenc023.jpg

Tarpandhammocksequenc024.jpg

Tarpandhammocksequenc025.jpg

Tarpandhammocksequenc026.jpg

Tarpandhammocksequenc027.jpg

Tarpandhammocksequenc028.jpg

Tarpandhammocksequenc029.jpg

Tarpandhammocksequenc030.jpg

Tarpandhammocksequenc031.jpg

Tarpandhammocksequenc032.jpg

Tarpandhammocksequenc033.jpg

Tarpandhammocksequenc034.jpg

Tarpandhammocksequenc035.jpg

Tarpandhammocksequenc036.jpg

Tarpandhammocksequenc037.jpg

Tarpandhammocksequenc038.jpg

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
That's almost exactly how I do mine, only difference is that I go over the line and under to go back round the tree which makes it easier to get all of the cordage round the ridgeline. The other difference is that once I have the tension on and am going round the tree I tend to let the cordage settle over the top of the first wrap which stops the first pass from slipping any. I then don't need to hold the tension on so much when I get round the tree and can apply more force to the binding knot, which I do the same as you except I use a hitch with the doubled cordage. Your way of finishing looks better and is neater though, so I may adopt that method!

bushblade

Nomad
Jul 5, 2003
West Yorkshire
www.bushblade.co.uk
Thankyou for the kind comments, and glad I could help.
Its part of a much larger sequence of how to set up a tarp and hammock I did at the request of Ronnie Sunshines.
I'm thinking of uploading it to my site or maybe put it on BCUK in some form, though not sure how I go about that? What do people think?

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
instead of making the chain, another way is you could make the loop long, fold it down to meet the dead line then tie them all up in a slip knot. just for speed and safety :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE