Tarp poles

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bristolsparks

Jul 19, 2011
bristol
Hi guys

Only reg'd a minute ago but been browsing for a few weeks now and what a great site so far

Im after a little advice about tarp poles. Im going on my first canoe/camoing trip down the river wye in a few weeks and need some tarp poles. I have brought a tarp already and looking at getting 180cm-200cm poles so i can stand/sit/cook etc under and keep dry whilst still 'in the open'

Been trying to find some for a while now and only can find some from go outdoors

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/vango-steel-king-poles-180cm-x2-p146582

Are theses any good?

Look forward to hearing from you

Regards

Adam

bristolsparks

Jul 19, 2011
bristol
Wow thanks for the quick reply

Are theses as strong as there made of plastic? I heard it can get quite bad on the banks of the river wye so dont fancy them blowing over or breaking

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
+1 for Wilkinson's clothes props.

They're steel & 4 foot long, extending to about 7 foot.

Last edited:

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I picked up a couple of walking poles from a local hardware store, something like two or three quid each. They're alloy, but not as long as the washing line poles so it depends on what you're planning.

I have a couple of the Wilkinson's poles down in France and to be honest the locking mechanism is a bit flaky. Quite often the pole shortens itself unexpectedly. Has anyone else had that happen?

Last edited:

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
... the locking mechanism is a bit flaky. Quite often the pole shortens itself unexpectedly. Has anyone else had that happen?

I thought that this might happen and pre-empted it by fitting a suitably sized jubilee clip onto the inner section close up to the collar. It weighs nowt and stays on the prop all the time; a bit of extra security for a couple of turns of the SAK screwdriver.

propjubilee.jpg

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
I thought that this might happen and pre-empted it by fitting a suitably sized jubilee clip onto the inner section close up to the collar. It weighs nowt and stays on the prop all the time; a bit of extra security for a couple of turns of the SAK screwdriver.

propjubilee.jpg

I like this idea very much and will blatantly borrow it. Thanks.

bristolsparks

Jul 19, 2011
bristol
Im staying at locksters pool and by google maps it doesnt look like there are any trees on the campsite so i thought id take some and be perpared.

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire

propjubilee.jpg

Cracking idea that! should have thought of it myself, as it is the exact same 'fix' I done on my fishing umbrella many years ago!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE