Tarp & Hammock in Sweden?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

veqtor

Oct 24, 2014
Sweden
Great advice guys! Think I'll get a DD setup with the underblanket and a DD Jura 2 (new model) to go with it.
Will probably not go hammocking in the freezing cold but it's nice to at least have the option.

Unistat76

Dec 1, 2014
United States
I have some questions too, if that's okay..

Regarding the use of an underquilt in - temps.. Is the efficiency of the quilt dependent on the heat generated by the body to warm it up, thereby acting as an insulator? that's my understanding. But if you put a ccf mat between the user and the quilt, isn't that going to stop the bodies heat from getting to the quilt? making it pretty pointless using it?

I've not used a hammock in freezing temps, I intend to, at some stage though. This is something I've been trying to get my head around for a while. I'm trying to gage what types of temps my current gear will keep me toasty in if I combine them to their best configuration.

There is also the wind break effect that an underquilt provides. I just have a DIY UQ made from a USGI poncho liner, but it helps tremendously in 3 season camping simply by keeping the draft from chilling my backside.

Thijzzz

Nomad
Jan 8, 2007
The Netherlands
My two cents: I have been using the hammock in -15 degrees. A hammock is trickier than a mat on the ground. If your underblanket is too tight or too loose, you can get a cold spot onder your back. Also, on the ground you can pitch a tarp in such a way that you are almost windproof. That is more difficult with a hammock, because there's always that open part between you and the forest floor. So all in all: a hammock CAN get colder because there's more things to fiddle with or do exactly right.

As for underblankets: buy 'em warm enough, wide and long enough so you can move around without accidentally sticking a foot outside your 'nest', and with windproof fabric.

For a TON of knowledge and indeed, the wise teachings of Shrug (he is hilarious): www.hammockforums.net !

Happy hanging!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE