Tarp & Hammock in Sweden?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

veqtor

Oct 24, 2014
Sweden
Hello BCUK, this is my 4th post so please have patience.

The idea of a tarp & hammock setup seems really attractive to me but I'm worried that it's too cold where I live, in Sweden, except in the summer. Would you consider it to be a viable option in temperatures as low as -5 degrees celsius?
Also comparing different tarp systems, the DD superlight looks very attractive, but I'm thinking it might be less appropriate for my climate?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Lol, as long as you get your insulation right then I don't think there's any limits.

I regularly hammock camp down to minus double figures over here, our winters are damp and cold which can feel a lot colder than they actually are.

veqtor

Oct 24, 2014
Sweden
Any gear recommendations for hammock camping when it's a bit chilly? I'm thinking a DD superlight setup + underblanket + hammock-sleeping bag.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've used the DD (Snugpak) underblanket down to around -10*c without any problems, much colder than that you'd need to look at adding something else. I've heard of people using CCF pads to increase warmth but I've not tried that combination.

Apart from the DD underblanket you're looking at a down filled blanket, there's UKHammocks over here but after that you have to shop in the US. If you go that route I highly recommend Hammock Gear, spendy but really good kit, should last you a lifetime.

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Also, as well as the great advice on her, do a Youtube search for a guy named Shug, that will blow you away, crazy as a box of frogs but very keen on cold weather hanging.

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
I have some questions too, if that's okay..

Regarding the use of an underquilt in - temps.. Is the efficiency of the quilt dependent on the heat generated by the body to warm it up, thereby acting as an insulator? that's my understanding. But if you put a ccf mat between the user and the quilt, isn't that going to stop the bodies heat from getting to the quilt? making it pretty pointless using it?

I've not used a hammock in freezing temps, I intend to, at some stage though. This is something I've been trying to get my head around for a while. I'm trying to gage what types of temps my current gear will keep me toasty in if I combine them to their best configuration.

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I have some questions too, if that's okay..

Regarding the use of an underquilt in - temps.. Is the efficiency of the quilt dependent on the heat generated by the body to warm it up, thereby acting as an insulator? that's my understanding. But if you put a ccf mat between the user and the quilt, isn't that going to stop the bodies heat from getting to the quilt? making it pretty pointless using it?

That was my argument a couple of years ago, but a few of the guys who do the arctic trips reckon the combination does actually work. I've not tried it yet so can't really comment, I suppose the theory is that heat is still able to pass through the foam and get trapped in the down of the quilt.

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
Insulation traps heat close to the body. Having one layer in front of another only adds to the effect unless compression occurs.

Yeah, familiar with that. But, that extra later is designed to reflect and keep the bodies heat from leaking into the ground (when used in that way) isn't it. So, it will also stop said heat from heating up the underquilt. Which is what we're looking to do in this instance.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Yeah, familiar with that. But, that extra later is designed to reflect and keep the bodies heat from leaking into the ground (when used in that way) isn't it. So, it will also stop said heat from heating up the underquilt. Which is what we're looking to do in this instance.

No - you're not looking to heat up the UQ - you're looking to keep as much heat as close to the body as possible. The bigger the space you have to heat up the longer that takes. Insulation acts as barrier trapping heat, slowing it's transmission. The mat traps (and reflects the heat) closer to the body before the UQ has to do it's work. The UQ then becomes then next layer of insulation further slowing heat loss into the atmosphere. If you're not heating up the air inside the UQ it's because there's a layer of insulation before that doing work more efficiently - therefore you will be warmer.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire

There's some previous discussion about this on here somewhere but I can't find the thread.

I did ask the same question over on HF a few years back .. https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/65374-CCF-pad-amp-UQ-together

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
There's some previous discussion about this on here somewhere but I can't find the thread.

I did ask the same question over on HF a few years back .. https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/65374-CCF-pad-amp-UQ-together

Heat will only ever travel from a hot to cold until an equilibrium is achieved. In this case you are the heat source. The objective is to stop as much heat escaping from you as possible. Adding layers does this. Heat doesn't "come back" to you from the UQ - you are just heating up the atmosphere and successive layers slow down that process.

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
No - you're not looking to heat up the UQ - you're looking to keep as much heat as close to the body as possible. The bigger the space you have to heat up the longer that takes. Insulation acts as barrier trapping heat, slowing it's transmission. The mat traps (and reflects the heat) closer to the body before the UQ has to do it's work. The UQ then becomes then next layer of insulation further slowing heat loss into the atmosphere. If you're not heating up the air inside the UQ it's because there's a layer of insulation before that doing work more efficiently - therefore you will be warmer.

Ah, now you put it like that, it makes perfect sense. I guess there are going to be many configurations to think about when I do go colder. Cheers mountainman.

Cheers Shewie, I'll pop over to that link and have a look. I wont ask about top cover yet. :dunno:

sorry to the op for hijacking this a little, but it is pertinent to the subject I guess.

Last edited:

ShooTa

Oct 9, 2014
N Wales
yeah think about the UQ as if it were a down jacket --- you would only add it on top of other layers - base layer top (your sleeping kit) midlayer fleece (a mat it this case) and then your down jacket

Sep 3, 2010
Sweden
Wbbb with Uk hammocks winter full length uq and hennessy hex fly. Savotta military sleepingbag with wool blanket liner. And wool longjohns and longsleeves and fur hat, I've ben down to -15c. And been warm and slept cozy.
98923754e201272bd24e638da248c36e.jpg

Sep 3, 2010
Sweden
I have a WBBB 1,7dl w. UK Hammocks fulllength UQ and a Hennessy Hex fly.
And with a Savotta Army sleepingbag with a woolblanket liner and wool longjons and longsleve and fur hat Ive slept down to -15C snuggly. its getting up that's the hard part, but if you kind of get dressed in your sleepingbag its ok.
I've experimented with a foam pad in between the hammock layers and an UQ, but then I've got some condensation problems between me and the foam pad which is not that great in subzero temps., so now i only go with the UQ.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE