Tarp choosing advice needed please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 27, 2008
Cambridge
Hi,

I think this has been asked on here many times before but using search doesnt seem to bring up answers I am looking for.

I need something of a shelter. So when I am out in the woods and it starts hammering it down with rain I can have something a bit better than tree cover. I would be able to cook, read and just relax under it.

Also, I may be going to the cairngorms this october. The idea is to see deer rutting and visit the wildlife sanctury where the wolves are. I may walking/wildcamping the route between aviemore and loch morlich possibly other places too. If the weather gets too rough I want to be able to get into the woods and use them as a wind break and temporary shelter.

To me it seems that a tarp will be good for this although I have never used one and do not know what is good/bad and recommended.

Any advice or guidance on this would really be a great help.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
A 3mtr X 3 mtr and a good supply of paracord should do everything you're asking but a 3.5 X 4 would give an extra bit of room for admin when needed.

javi

Forager
Nov 4, 2008
Hampton
PS Elines' link's a good one! That's where I learned to attach all the tarp tie-outs and start with the knots and it's very useful. However, I'd also suggest looking at the Powercinch (YouTube) as an alternative ridgeline tensioning knot - I use it and it's very simple and strong.

Feb 27, 2008
Cambridge
I see I have a lot to learn! Great I cant wait. I will get to my woods early once I have one and get playing.

Now what are people using? I have heard Tatonka, DD mentioned but no idea what good quality/price.

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
Yup, cheers for these advices guys. I'm currently looking for tarp advices too. :)

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
There's a couple of dd reviews on my blog in the er blog section but I must confess I'm a bit of a fanboy. Can't link from this machine I'm afraid

Cheers

Alan

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I have the DD 3x3m lightweight which is a great buy, very popular with many folk on here.

I think they're out of stock at the minute but they're also due to release a 3x4.5m which I'll be purchasing when the time comes.

For day walks and for a bit of shelter from the elements I have a lightweight army issue 6x4ft basha which packs down to about the size of a punnet of strawberries. Great for days out in the canoe and when the heavens open.

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
I have the DD 3x3m lightweight which is a great buy, very popular with many folk on here.

I think they're out of stock at the minute but they're also due to release a 3x4.5m which I'll be purchasing when the time comes.

For day walks and for a bit of shelter from the elements I have a lightweight army issue 6x4ft basha which packs down to about the size of a punnet of strawberries. Great for days out in the canoe and when the heavens open.

3 x 3 back in stock and the new XL tarp is showing too:

http://www.ddhammocks.com/products.php

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
If you want an emergency multi use tarp try http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/AMK_Heatsheets_Survival_Blanket/5360030859/
There was a review on BCUK somewhere where someone (?in America) set it up and left it out in a wood for ages - even after deliberately cutting it the tarp stood up well - it packs very small and you can keep it as a back up.

It has no tie in ;points but you could improvise by wrapping a corner round a stone and tying with paracord (I am beginning to sound like an expert but don't be fooled - this is all part of my contingency plan - I have never actually used it that way)

For the price I think they are difficult to beat.

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
i've been seeing alot of people going on about buyimg tarps ( and i was asked last weekend aswell).....dose anyone want another DD group buy !!!!

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
I seem to have my heart set on a TrueNorth tarp, but are the worth the extra money?

I've just got one, initial impressions are good but worth 2x the cost of a DD XL, I'm not sure.... I'll give it a review when I get a mo'

i've been seeing alot of people going on about buyimg tarps ( and i was asked last weekend aswell).....dose anyone want another DD group buy !!!!

He's off again! The energizer group buy bunny! :lmao:

Cheers,

Alan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE