Tarp/Basha help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
In a few months the name Humdrum_Hostage will no longer desribe my life as my fiancee, my 2 1/2 year old boy and I are moving from the current lifestyle of me working 55 hours a week in west london, 6 days a week, being out of the house 12+ hours a day. we are moving to Suffolk and I am going to be taking over an established garden maintenance/odd job business and be living rent free while we get our feet on the ground and clear debts.

So the plan is to send a lot more time with my boy..... outside in the woods!

my question is... I am looking at getting a Tarp/basha (i think) to make a temporary shelter in the woods, mainly for the days to begin with then hopefully nights in the near future. I am a complete novice so do not know what to buy. Would a £5 DPM tarp on Ebane be any good? would it rip, leak..... or am I better off getting something better and more versatile with the poles?

I have seen a few Bashas being sold on here but I am always too slow. If anyone has anything available please let me know.

Chris

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
The cheap "builders tarps" will get the job done but might turn out to be noisy when trying to sleep under them - they might also rip or tear if you get a nick in it. There are loads to choose from and many different materials for them to be made from.

I would recommend trying to get along to a local meet-up and seeing what styles/sizes/materials/set-ups are available and speaking with owners as to their good & not so good points.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I get the impression from your post that you'd be leaving the shelter in place for periods of time, rather than pitching and striking each time you use it. If that's what you intend buy the cheapest thing you can get your hands on, as it's the UV light that'll kill them or shorten their life.

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
I'd suggest a DD 3mx3m tarp in Olive Green or Coyote Brown, that said I'm wanting Jet Black. If you get a wiggle on and join the group buy in the GB section down below that starts Tuesday 1st April, as in tomorrow, then you'll get 20% off. You won't go wrong with a 3x3 DD for your purpose. A 4x4 is mooosive but obviously more weight and bulk. A square tarp can be set up on the ground in easy configurations eg. the 3 sided pyramid or enclosed tent.

http://www.ddhammocks.com/product/ddtarp_olive_green_3x3

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=130068

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SGFUXpzPGQ

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
Not sure if I have done the right thing, I done it on a whim and usually that's spells trouble.

I got a used Poncho Basha on Ebane for £16.50 with bag DPM poles and Bungees. Lets see where this leads me.

Feb 21, 2015
Durham
You done good for £16.50 esp if it has poles n bungees. you will love it........i would not part with mine, its the ONE thing that is always in my bag when i go out, even if its just for a couple of hours...if im up the woods with the dog..i take the basha. you would be surprised how many uses you can get from one....
Stretcher
Hammock
Rain shelter
Sun shade
Wind break
use as a hide for photography
use as a Basha!
wrap around you to keep warm/dry
as a huge big groundsheet on damp grass
Pile with leaves, gather 4 corners and you have a method of carrying a LOT of leaves for bedding/clearing your garden/etc
as above but gathering bracken or dry stuff for bedding

The list is longer....im sure you will find more uses than shelter building!

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
I think I have had my **** tickled! The eBay parcel arrived and it has a poncho, 2 poles, 3 bungees, a bag and some pegs but I don't think they are related!
There is no way to fix the poles as they fall straight through the eyelets, one bungee is odd to the other two and I'm not even sure what the bag is for??? Also it says in the add "no major damage" but it has a whole in it!!!

I hate doing things on a whim!!!

I bet I missed the DD group buy now?

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
Lets see what I can do with this pile of bits then.

Firstly what can I use to repair a 3/4" rip in the poncho?

Secondly does anyone know what these poles would be for?
they split in half and are joined with elastic cord, not flexible, probably just over a metre in length.

This is the sack it was all in, looks like a cover for something?

There was this sack inside that looks waterproof, its slightly larger than a pillow case and looks like you could thread a cord through the top. Only troulble is its riddled with holes and tears

The other bits of odd pegs and odd bungees will just go into an odds bin in my garage (oh joy, if I dont have enough junk already)

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
I think you've received what was advertised; I think it's just that you hadn't realised that this is a a set-up for an individual soldier in the field from a few years ago, ie a rain poncho that doubles as a very low-level one-man shelter that could be quickly rigged up over a scrape in the ground or to trees or whatever using whatever bungees and pegs you have to hand (so it didn't matter if they don't match), and in this case propped up with typically short basha poles for a bit of headroom when lying down. Fine for keeping a low profile, but not what you were looking for. The bag I imagine was just something to hand to shove the whole lot into, rather than being purpose designed. As for the tear you can buy some special tape (Tenacious tape I think), or a bit of Gaffa/Duck tape will do at a pinch.

For your purposes I'd go along with the suggestion for a larger tarp like a DD 3x3.

Hope that helps

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
the 'bag, insertion' is a bergen liner - supposedly waterproof, but not after a few outtings. The other big bag looks like the removable liner used to protect the feet end of a sleeping bag when sleeping with your boots on.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE