Targetting bigger rudd

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
I've been taking my lad to fish a local pond thats full of rudd. We have a great time, but of the 30 fish we caught on the last session only 2 were over 4".

How do I try for the bigger ones? There are 1 lbers in there somewhere! !

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
you need to get your bait down to the bigger ones before the tiddlers get it, a bigger float with the weight about six inches from the hook will get the bait though the tiddlers quickly, use a bigger bait as well

good luck :)

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
We used to get big ones off the surface on a summers evening with a floating caster flicked out on a size 20 barbless hook.

Have to be wary for ducks though.

+1. Two or three sinking casters fired out every thirty seconds to a minute will sometimes switch the bigger fish on as they bully the smaller Rudd out. Lilly pads are great cover for the bigger Rudd.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Start on maggot and go to worm and a bigger hook when the littluns get too much. Keep the bait going in whilst you wait for a bigger fish,

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
Cheers for the info guys, I've just been using bread and corn on a size 20 hook a few inches down from an inch of quill.

The little un is well up for another session tomorrow or Sunday. Took him on the stream behind the house tonight with the fly rod but the trout weren't biting, midges and klegs were though!!

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Feed the small Rudd off with maggot/2-3mm pellet and then use a big hook (14's) with a bigger banded hard pellet or a lump of corn on it.

If/when i target Rudd in matches, i usually use a blob float with a couple of No'8s bulked up 4-5 inches from the hook, use suitable gear though, all that feed going in, will bring the carp up in the water.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE