Tapered Steel... What is that?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Are you talking about a tapered tang? if so its when a blade reaches the handle it is reduced at an angle along the handle to give greater balance to a knife and makes it fit the hand better....

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
A tapered tang...

awoodbbk03.jpg

A tapered blade would be the same thing, but done on the pointy end. ;)

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Yep, thats a northstar :eek:):

Not sure what the benefits are, just look cool :?:

I know this is off topic but all in the "What is a ..." mode. What's a slipjoint?

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Jake Rollnick said:
Yep, thats a northstar :eek:):

Not sure what the benefits are, just look cool :?:

I know this is off topic but all in the "What is a ..." mode. What's a slipjoint?

Benefits - it manipulates/reduces weight and allows the maker to play with the balance of the knife. Not essential, but a nice touch often only seen in classy knives.

A slipjoint is an Americanism for a folding knife (a penknife), specifically any non-locking folding knife. A knife whose joint or pivot "slips" when pressure is applied to close the blade eg a swiss army knife.

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
AH! I have been meaning to ask that question for ages...but for some reason never did :roll:.

And it has to be said the NS is a classy knife.

Cheers Martyn.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE