"tanning" fish skin

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I've just been sent an Eel skin in a trade with Biker and wondered if there's a way of treating it. At the moment it's a bit stiff (like dried fish skin funnily enough). Can I treat or "tan" it using household chemicals to achieve a more supple finish? My google fu revealed talk of tea and then oil of some description but it was all a bit vague.

thanks

Mike

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Forestwalker very kindly sent a Swedish book over to us. It's a how to of tanning fish skins.
HWMBLT did a scan and a translation......it's huge and it's on a file on our home network thingie.

The Book is on a passaround, and if you would like I'll put you on the list of folks to get a read at it.
The illustrations are really clear and very useful.
The translation however doesn't have those. It really needs both to be fully clear.

I can have HWMBLT pm you with the address to download the translation if that would help?

It's a brilliant book :D and at times like this I *really* miss the rep system.

cheers,
M

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Forestwalker very kindly sent a Swedish book over to us. It's a how to of tanning fish skins.
HWMBLT did a scan and a translation......it's huge and it's on a file on our home network thingie.

The Book is on a passaround, and if you would like I'll put you on the list of folks to get a read at it.
The translation however doesn't have those. It really needs both to be fully clear.

I can have HWMBLT pm you with the address to download the translation if that would help?

cheers,
M

That would be most kind, thankyou!

wasteoid

Forager
Jan 6, 2006
uxbridge
Toddy,

I would love a link to the translation please? I picked up a "leather Fish" skin on a beach in Sri Lanka, that I would love to do something with.

Cheers

Chris

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Hey Mike, that eel skin is treated" i.e. It's been hung in Roger's shed/garage for the past 10 year air drying. So withthat in mind I'd say it's pretty stablised now. Why not try wet forming it about something and letting it dry in the airing cupboard or something.

just a thought.

If the horn arrived today at Mum's house I missed it. I had to travel back to France today and got here at 7.30pm. I'm sure she'll let me know once it arrives and will send it on to me here.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
sorry about you and the horn missing each other. It really should be there by now.

I was wondering if there was.a treatment to get the skin more supple - at the mo it's a bit stiff and reading up on apparently it's possible to get them very soft.

Bucketosudz

Tenderfoot
Aug 23, 2010
UT-USA

cheers,
M

Toddy, would this book you speak of be titled: Leather: Preparation and Tanning by Traditional Methods by Lotta Rahme by chance?
[h=2][/h]

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If you add in Fischskinn somewhere in the title, it is indeed :D

It wasn't available here, and even in Sweden it's *very* expensive. It wouldn't be fair to have the lady fiddled out of her copyright or due fees though, so the translation is just a help with some of the instructions; the book itself is really clearly illustrated.

There's a big Swedish population in America though, so maybe the publishers have a batch out there :dunno:

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE