Tanning fishskin

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
I've tanned snakeskin, conger eel and wolffish using birch tar but I can't crack tanning things like salmon skin - birch tar makes it go like celophane. I've tried my own 'produce' for the Icelandic urine tanning method but mine just dissolves the skins, anyone had any better luck?

Before anyone points out that you are absolutely NOT allowed to kill snakes and tan them over there, the skin was from a 4 lined snake that someone killed years ago whilst grape picking - the locals told him it was deadly ( in actualy fact they're harmless ), he dried out the skin and left it gathering dust until I scrounged it. The skins really do look better on the snake but I'm not going to waste something like that.

Realgar

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
oooh nice topic, and one i know nothing about

have heard and seen some wonderful stuff in tanned fishskin

will be watching this with interest :)

Tant

Zacary

Tenderfoot
Aug 14, 2004
Realgar,

Up North (in BC and NWT) i have heard a lot of people tan fish skins to use as windows on the huts as this is better than glass in the cold, I guess that is how it is supposed to be.

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
I've heard of the birth membrane from cattle being used as well - presumably anything thin enough to let a bit of light in will do.

I've got a brained tanned muntjack skin somewhere in the shed, I never got around to breaking it after smoking. Incredibly tough skin those things - my wildlife care book says the skin has to cut with a scalpel to get a needle through.

I must get round to doing an article on using birch tar for tanning - I need to subscribe to post up pics don't I? ( pay subscribe that is )
Realgar

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE