Tannin and Oak Apples

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pappa

Need to contact Admin...
May 27, 2005
South Wales
www.plot55.com
I was watching "Tales from the Green Valley" a few days ago. They mentioned that Oak Apples (galls) used to be collected because they have a very high concentration of tannin. They used them to make ink in the episode.

M

Mooney

Fallow Way said:
I`ve used galls for tanning before, but i wasnt aware they used them to make ink....what was the process?

how do you use them for tanning, is it just a case of soaking them to get out the tannin and then soaking the pelt in the solution?

Thanks of making me aware of this :You_Rock_

I never dreamed I would visit a bushcraft site and end up making my own soap and ink. Whatever will come next?

...but I lived in the belief that ancient ink was made of sepia (cuttlefish) ink. Now I find no reference at all to sepia ink in the websites you linked to.
How come?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Ink recipe for Lotions and Potions activity with school children.

Pound up 10 oak galls to powder (they pound apart easier than they grind)
I steel wool pad (if using Brillo or the like washout the soapy stuff first) soaked for I hour in four tablespoonsful of vinegar.
Remove the steel wool and pour the liquid over the oak gallpoowder.
Add I tablespoonful of soot
Adults add 4 tablespoonsful of red wine...or...kids add the same of Ribena
If using red wine you need to add half a teaspoonful of gum arabic to thicken the ink, the Ribena seems to do fine on its own.
Put the whole lot into a screw top jar and (for kids!) put the sealed jar into a zip bag and shake vigorously. Repeat half a dozen times a day for at least two days, two weeks is better. Carefully strain through kitchen towels and put into small jars. This is a good, fast ink. Be careful it *will* stain clothes, hands, tables, etc., but it does make a very good ink.

Cheers,
Toddy

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
That looks straight forward. Well done for coming up with the goods again Toddy :) . Looks like I'm going to have a messy weekend...well, the kids will be messy, I have no doubt of that...so long as they don't put their mucky paws on my nice shiny piece of wood ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE