TANGO DSK survival blade

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Have been waiting for these to come in as samples to see how a Dura Coat orange finish works on a blade Ive made to go in Survival Tins.
Looks Good so far

TANGOsml.jpg

Thats cool, how well does the dura coat resist scratches?

thats what i need to find out it is designed and sold as a Fire arms coating so im hoping its pretty good ( Dura Coat )(
for its intended use on these blades it will be more than good enough to keep the blade rusting while stored in a tin for years (hopefully never to be used )

hopfully ots as good as the stuff RAT / ESSE use etc

ATB

Duncan

Hardworms

May 23, 2007
Huddersfield
Great looking survival knives, and a fantastic idea. What sort of size are we talking? Are you going to put them up for sale? How many will you make in total?

Great looking survival knives, and a fantastic idea. What sort of size are we talking? Are you going to put them up for sale? How many will you make in total?

I havent put them up here yet but im sellling the unpainted blanks in various states of finsh

the orange is for a specific batch job but I should be able to get one offs in this and other colours done

the over all is 172mm (6 3/4") blade is approx 73mm

ATB

Duncan

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
With a couple meters of 2mm paracord soem Orange GID Beads and a whistle Clip ;)

Tangowrapsmll.jpg

My eyes! My eyes!! :yikes: ;)

Presumably if it is for anti-rust the coating would go over the edge? If it's in a survival tin would you include a sharpener to remove the coating or does the edge stay sharp underneath the coating?

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
You know, I just had a similar thought Asa. is th coating thin enough, to make the edge useable whith the coating inplace?

I really like the idea of having a useable sized knife in a tin, rather than a folder or a scalple.

My eyes! My eyes!! :yikes: ;)

Presumably if it is for anti-rust the coating would go over the edge? If it's in a survival tin would you include a sharpener to remove the coating or does the edge stay sharp underneath the coating?

the guy puttng the tin together includes a Blade Tech sharpener in it which is an animal of a sharpener and i wouldnt let near a knife BUT in this situation its the ideal solution to keep a usable sharp edge easily for 72 hrs ish whilethe rescue team finds you

the blades are sharp tho i didnt hone them etc on the parachord one ive removed teh paint from the mini scandi bevels as a user this would be my recomendation if you where to use it and sharpen normally on a stone etc obviously a scandi grind would givethe largest amount of bare metal in this situation

ATB

Duncan

well a few tests as im as keen as any body to see how it does

fairly impressed so far

first up was a few dozen strikes o na Ferro rod on the 87deg scraper spine
this obviously chipped the paint of the edge but it took a few swipes to get thro

then a bit of battoning Flush into the end of a Dry ash log several goes chipped the coatign away from the edge and rubbed it of teh bevels some but only seemed to polish the sides ;)
TDSK1.jpg

point first
TDSK2.jpg

TDSK3.jpg

then a bit of feathering with the edge and some scraping with the spine
TDSK4.jpg

still sharp under the coating straight from the grinder
TDSK5.jpg

i think this confirms for me that the coating will be good all over for a Survival knife but if you want a every day user best to not have it onthe bevels etc which you would need ot sharpen any way etc

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Thats brilliant, really answers my question as my only thought was if it was in a tin with the edge cleaned it might defeet you idea, but that is brilliant, do you apply the coating your self? just wonder it if you would be up for a excelarated corrosion test with a control bit of steel(would un ht treated steel corrode at the same rate as heat treated steel?) mind you if the coating is isnt permiable at all i guess it would be a moot point.

yes we can do corosion tests but ive only got these 4 and 2 are of for customer approval

i got the coating done by the UK importer and trained duracoat finisher according to the website its takes 2-3 weeks to get up to full durability so we are doing well i think

but im considering doing it myself as it will be a lot cheaper and more flexable (i say myself, Mrs Bazzworks is a sprayer by trade so would get her to do it for me ;) )
this is the manufactures FAQ seems to answer most things
http://www.lauerweaponry.com/duracoat_faqs.cfm

Oh they throw very well ;)

Brilliant cheers Duncan, The abilty to be able to safely stow you knife if wood from a distance, is and often overlooked skill.

yes it is also makes you feel like your 12 again ;) but my excuse was i was trying to see how durable the tip was with my inept chucking espesiall yas 58/59 RC is a lot harder than a throwing knife should be

after 20mins on 3/4" plywood and a few misses into the stony ground tip was fine ;)

ATB

Duncan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE