Tang of Hultafors HVK knife

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
If you wanted a full stick tang it is easy to cut the existing handle off by simply taping up the blade for safety reasons, place the blade in a vice making sure the blade is not going to be marked, and use a hacksaw to cut the handle off from the base to the finger guard, pull the two sides apart and start welding a 2.5 mm tent peg to the end, then fit a nice traditional wooden handle of your choice.
You could also braze a piece of steel onto the tang end by cutting a slot into the hole in the tang then fit said piece of steel and braze away.
I have re handled plenty of these knives and think they are well worth the money.
That said, there is nowt wrong with the original handle, but I do like to fettle.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Where did you get it from?

Hi aris, i got it online from My-Tool-Shed.co.uk, received it yesterday, just checked that site again but it is showing as ''currently unavailable'' so i must have had the last one i expect (lucky for me), however if you look on Amazon.co.uk there are several of them for for sale from various suppliers.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
If you wanted a full stick tang it is easy to cut the existing handle off by simply taping up the blade for safety reasons, place the blade in a vice making sure the blade is not going to be marked, and use a hacksaw to cut the handle off from the base to the finger guard, pull the two sides apart and start welding a 2.5 mm tent peg to the end, then fit a nice traditional wooden handle of your choice.
You could also braze a piece of steel onto the tang end by cutting a slot into the hole in the tang then fit said piece of steel and braze away.
I have re handled plenty of these knives and think they are well worth the money.
That said, there is nowt wrong with the original handle, but I do like to fettle.

Hi Hugo, thankyou for your input, i wanted to re-shape the end of the plastic handle so needed to know where the tang ended to allow me to do so, i have smallish hands and will reduce/re-shape the handle a little and shorten the finger guard, i am well pleased with the knife its excellent for the money.

roger-uk

Settler
Nov 21, 2009
long Eaton

And may I say he does fettle well.

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Thanks Roger mate, have you made any more new leather sheaths for the knives you have.
The GK version from Hultafors looks like a beast, I have been playing with one of late, it now sports a scandi grind with a convex, was hard work for me as I only used wet and dry sandpaper, quite like the big handle, very good grip and robust.
@ Spandit, if you want to enlarge the hole, heat the end up with a blow torch and let it cool slowly, if I do this I put the blade in a metal vice so as to stop the heat going towards the business end of the blade, should be able to drill it out then as the steel will be softer, remember to harden it afterwards.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE