Taking up a wax cotton Stockman coat?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
I have recently got a Driza-Bone Original Wax Full Length Coat off e-bay but it a bit too long for me can anyone recommend a company that can professionally turn the jacket up about 3 inches then reproof?

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
The material to make yourself a new one would cost you less than a company would charge for taking-up & re-proofing.

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
As above, DIY, may we ask why the re-proofing?
Another alternative would be to flog it on and get a 3/4 length.

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
I would rather not take on the job myself since dont fancy ruining a £170 jacket if i get it wrong not having dont any needlework before also dont have a sewing machine. As for re-proofing i only mean where it has been cut and re-stitched.

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
I think you'd only have to rub some wax into the new stitching and holes. You would not have a problem doing that, rub the wax on and then blow over with a hairdryer.

belzeebob23

Settler
Jun 7, 2009
glasgow
I can understand your reluctance to do it yourself as I make sewing a button on look hard. The alteration could be done by any decent seamstress you will find on the high st.
Being a person of short stature and having given my local seamstress all manner of technical clothing to take up
I would advise you to take it in and ask them if they can do it, because sending it away to be reproofed and altered can be a very expensive option.
As far as the reproofing goes that is very easy as the guys have said .
Ask for the off cut back so you can practice the reproofing first and you will see how easy it can be done.

Bob

Last edited:

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
Why reproof, the seam at the bottom of the coat. If your Driza is as waxy as mine it will close up the holes.

Topknot

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
Thanks for the advice folks. I have a local dress maker taking it up for £20 so at least it will look profesional rather than my dodgy needlework.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE