Taking the pis...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sodajoe

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 17, 2005
Co Armagh
I have a SAS survival book that states when it comes to urine and seawater you should "never drink either, never". And as if to underline the point it has a skull and cross bones above the section. :nono:

But if you were listening to the Jeremy Vine show on BBC Radio 2 yesterday you would have heard that not only do people drink their urine they also rub it on their skin to keep them young looking. :beerchug:
honest.

So which is it? :lmao:

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I heard that on the radio yesterday - a yoga instructor wasn't it? Each to their own. That's not for me. Reminds me of Blackadder: Potato. :lmao:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Strange behaviour really....deliberately ingesting the body's own waste products :confused: If you're dying of drought I can see the issues of evaporating/condensing the H2O out of the urine or seawater for water though.
Urine on the skin I don't much fancy; when it's allowed to age it becomes ammonia and ammonia is an excellent de-greasing agent :rolleyes: Our skins are supposed to be slightly oily, not dry and flaky. Does it just make it look tighter and therefore younger?

Cheers,
Toddy

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
I think if you we're to drink urine as your primary souce of hydration it would eventually become too 'rich' in waste salts and minerals etc.

I'm sure I've heard that after a while it becomes so saturated that it crystalises as all the water is depleted/absorbed by the body (a bit like that copper sulphate experiment that you did at school where you 'grow' blue crystals).

sodajoe

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 17, 2005
Co Armagh
I'm not sure she said it made her skin tighter. She did claim that she hasn't had any spots or blemishes and that it also cure dandruff.

The doctor who came on the radio to take issue with this said that urine is about 90-95 per cent water with the rest being waste and salt. Does anyone know the ratio of sal****er – as a comparison.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Its well known that people used urine to clean wounds and some african tribe takes a shower under a cow who let the urin come to clean and prevent skin irritations.

I was reading in a german survival book that if in the woods and in need for help while suffering from infected toncels or throad infection to gargle with urin.
I tested it when I needed it and it helped very much. I usually do it with salt water and it helps all the time but at that time the infection was so strong that salt didnt helped much, so I tested it and it worked.

cheers
Abbe

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Well....I suppose, if your kidney's are working properly and you have no urinary tract infections it could be seem to be pretty 'sterile' :confused: I think it's an 'only under extreme duress' situation, and even then I'd be wondering whether I'd make things worse or not.
For everyday cleansing of my skin or hair, no thanks :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Toddy

JimH

Nomad
Dec 21, 2004
Stalybridge
Urine is generally sterile and, strictly, non-toxic.

It contains too many dissolved solids (urea, sodium, WHY) to do anything other than leave you more dehydrated if you drink it.

Urine therapy (as I believe it's called) does *not* AFAIK advocate drinking urine instad of water, merely as an added treat/pick-me-up/panacea for all ills.

(and is, IMO, largely propounded by loonies, but whaddoiknow[1])

Jim.

[1] Biochemistry, for a start :D

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
Well I'll certainly leave drinking it to the alternative types.

Abbe Osram said:
I was reading in a german survival book that if in the woods and in need for help while suffering from infected toncels or throad infection to gargle with urin.
I tested it when I needed it and it helped very much. I usually do it with salt water and it helps all the time but at that time the infection was so strong that salt didnt helped much, so I tested it and it worked.

I'm glad I had a tonsillectomy as a kid!!

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I have heard about pissing on wounds but as far as I know the only people that drink it are Yogurt weavers that could do with a good slap across the back of the lug to wake em up.

It's a waste product so drinking it only makes matters worse.

Mind I bet if they are thick enough to believe it helps then I should be able to make a mint selling them Magic beans and Snake oil :)

maverix

Forager
May 16, 2005
North Devon coast
I have a friend...
No really i do and for a while i allways wondered why he kept a jug of apple juice in his bathroom. Fortunately i asked bfore helping myself and i found out the truth!

Apparently within 2 weeks all his eczema and atheletes foot had gone. I was told he started with fresh "apple juice" tho apparently its to strong to use if its over a week old ????

My advice if you know anyone who lived in Bideford Take your own fruit juice :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I am reminded of the guest who complained that the 'skimmed' milk was a little sweet...she'd used the wrong bottle from the fridge :eek: :D

Cheers,
Toddy

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Les Marshall said:
Took me ages to figure out what a yogurt weaver was!

Oh, sorry.

Its something one of my mates used to describe the people that believe in Tarot Cards, astrology, crystal healing and other stuff that wilts under close inspection.

IMO that is :)

Jjv110

Forager
May 22, 2005
Jersey C.I.
A way to get goodness from urine, if you're in a survival situation , is to locate two plastic containers, eg: coke bottles( from your stricken vehicle or crashed plane), then half fill one with urine and leave the other empty. Tape the bottles together at the nozzles forming an airtight sealand lie them on their sides so that one is empty, the other half full. Over night, condensation will form in the empty bottle and turn into good drinking water.

Otherwise it is a good antiseptic.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE