Taking kids to the bushmoot

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

matthewpearce

Jan 31, 2011
Andover
Hi guys, I have been to the moot a few times a couple years ago. I am planning on going this year and bringing my four year old lad. I am just after some advice or tips on bringing kids to the moot. Any advice would be much appreciated

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Bring patience, not because he's going to do anything wrong but you're going to be prevented from doing some of the stuff you ant to do while you look after him.
get him introduced to the people around you (as long as you're comfortable with that) so that they're happy to keep an eye out as well.
Teach him to ask for directions to the reception in case he gets lost
Have some stuff to entertain him if the weather is rubbish and you're not able to move about much
Make sure he's warm enough at night
Plenty of changes of clothes, there's no laundered in Bridgend (the nearest one is Pyle)

He's going to have a great time, I don't know where you live but there's so much freedom at the moot for the kids, they love it.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Seconded!

My youngest pretty much runs feral at the Moot, only returning to camp when hungry or long past bedtime.

It will take a day or two for them to adjust and find a few friends - but it will happen. If you've been before, you will know the general lay-out of the site and also that you'd be hard pressed to wander too far away without realizing - take the time to teach Young'un where the key landmarks are and I'm sure you'll both have a great time.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Consider where you are going to camp on the site. 4 year old doesn't want to be exposed to the naughty corner at 2am. Also camping close to a well travelled path that's an easy route from the reception might be a plan.

On the whole kids were born to explore and make friends.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Can only echo all of the above.

My boy was 6 first time at the Moot and last year (9) I had to go to Tesco and buy him 5 sets of clothes.

Left to himself he would have run around looking like Stig of the Dump but ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
He will need a bucket and spade to play in the sand.

Also keep him away from me; I dont like kids.

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
As I'm bringing my then 4yr old with me, I'm intending to run a set of workshops specifically for kids this year doing some fun stuff including sweet making, some trail finding (with a dinosaur theme) and baking. So bring them along. I'm sure my son will be happy to make friends!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE