Take a View - Landscape Photographer of the Year 2009

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
:eek:

They are stunning Gary, some I've seen before but some I've not.

I was talking to Simon about the prints he got from you a couple of years ago, I could be dropping you a PM on this I think.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Thanks everyone.

It's just the way I see the World. :dunno:

And I for one am very glad you're willing to share your view of the world Gary.

Like others I'll be speaking to you about buying a couple prints from you. Just have to sit down with the little wifey to decide what we want :)

Wayland

Hárbarðr
A couple of shots were produced by blending highlight biased + shadow biased renderings of the same raw file.

Not quite HDR but certainly getting the maximum range from a single exposure.

HDR is within the rules and it's noticeable that there was a lot of it last year and the published entries this year look pretty much the same.

There is a strong argument that HDR imitated the way our eye perceives the extremes of contrast in the real world, but I prefer to only use it when I really cannot render the scene any other way and I try to make it look as natural as possible.

Ultimately I use the software to ensure that what you see is pretty much what I saw when I took the picture.

The main exception to this is the use of long exposures to capture the movement of the water which I prefer to showing it frozen in place by a short exposure.

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
I looked at some of the winning entries and noticed that there was a lot of HDR shots.

I looked at yours and figured you probably used it too on some of your shots. From your description of how you worked it sounds like you used what might generally be called faux HDR. Not a bad thing at all, in fact it's a good technique and I like it.

HDR is interesting because you can make it look natural but people tend to give their shots that special look that shouts "HDR", I'd describe it as a kind of SciFi fantasy art effect I guess. It can be quite pleasing and give interesting results but I do tire of it when I see it all the time. Your technique, and some of the winning entries, is of the more subtle variety.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Congratulations Wayland, I saw the article on the BBC earlier today and thought of your good self. Very glad to hear you got a Commendation and quite rightly too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE