Tainted Water containers

nobby

Nomad
Jun 26, 2005
English Midlands
I have two Ortlieb roll up water containers and the water from either doesn't taste very pleasant.
I have tried soaking them in Milton and used dental tablets in them but there is still the unpleasant taste.
It doesn't do any harm because I have drunk from them without being sick but it would be better if the water just tasted like normal water.
Anything else I can try?

Cheers

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
Is it a plastic taste or a mouldy taste?
Had a similar problem with my Platy's over the years, as a last resort used washing up liquid rather than the normal baby bottle cleaner, it worked but took some serious rinsing to get rid of the taste of fairy :rolleyes:

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
Try mixing up some baking soda and water, add it to the bladder, give it a shake and leave it for 30 mins and then add some lemon juice. Also try putting it in the freezer to kill off nasties.

Pablo.

nobby

Nomad
Jun 26, 2005
English Midlands
Is it a plastic taste or a mouldy taste?
Had a similar problem with my Platy's over the years, as a last resort used washing up liquid rather than the normal baby bottle cleaner, it worked but took some serious rinsing to get rid of the taste of fairy :rolleyes:

thanks I'll try that after Pablo's idea. It isn't a mouldy taste; more sort of chemically.

nobby

Nomad
Jun 26, 2005
English Midlands
Try mixing up some baking soda and water, add it to the bladder, give it a shake and leave it for 30 mins and then add some lemon juice. Also try putting it in the freezer to kill off nasties.

Pablo.

Thanks for that. Do I add the lemon juice to the baking soda & water mix or empty that first?
sorry for not understanding.

Cheers

A while back I was givena few roll up ortileb water containers from Gulf 1 conflict, these had been used and were sprayed in sand paint. Again these tasted tainted and I tried all the usual methods but although the taint never disapears, the taste is improved a hell of a lot by oxygenating the water. I always shake it up a bit before use and the taste seems to improve, maybe the water has gone flat so to speak. Rainwater is much the same if you collect it in a tarp, it's improved by aeration.

WS

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
I use Puriclean on the campervan water system, works a treat at removing nasty tastes etc.

Need leaving a while, but it works a treat and this is exactly the kind of job it loves.

Scoops

commandocal

Nomad
Jul 8, 2007
UK
What i use to clean my 58 pat bottle and bladder out is some washing up powder,seriously, leave one scoop in over night full of water and then rinse THOROUGHLY and the taste/smell will have gone, or you could just get a bladder cleaning kit, they come with a scrubber + tablets to get ride of the mouldy taste :)

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I use a cleaner called VWP that I get from my homebrew shop... I've used my '58 bottle to carry beer before now.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE