TAD Gear - F.A.S.T. Pack P.S. v2 - hands-on preview (and vs. EDC)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

PiterM

Tenderfoot
Jul 7, 2009
Poland
So... I got one. I've been using my TAD Gear EDC pack for years (now I've got newest 3rd generation for about a year) so I'll compare it to FAST EDC.

TAD FAST EDC: http://www.tadgear.com/shop.php?id=508

TAD FAST PS v.2: http://www.tadgear.com/shop.php?id=684

This is my third day with FAST P.S. (Patrol Size) pack so I can only give you hands-on preview of the pack. You have to wait till next weekend, when I'm going to test is during 3-day trip in the Tatra Mountains - quite high and rocky mountains south of Poland. This time we'll leave Mary with Grandma so it will be SERIOUS trip. And than you need to wait till Monday 5th when I'm back. But let's see what P.S. v.2 is all about...

First of all let's try to compare it to EDC as I said. TWO DIFFERENT ANIMALS! P.S. is "only" 30% bigger on paper, but in reality it's simply MUCH bigger than EDC. It's higher and deeper. It can take a lot more load than EDC. It has different carry-system, much more "adult". OK, EDC is not a heavy-packing pack so the simple carry system is perfectly OK on it, but I really like the new back & straps design on P.S. - VERRRRY comfortable. The internal frame is not plastic sheet (as it is on EDC) but regular ALU frame. Nice. Comfortable. You can really put some stuff into P.S. and carry it! The waistband is the same on both. Perfect one IMHO. Just take a quick look at the pics of P.S. vs. EDC.

tad_fast_ps_01.jpg

tad_fast_ps_02.jpg

tad_fast_ps_03.jpg

Now let's have a look at my basic FAST PS setup. I just put some stuff & couple of pouches on it:
- Round Pocket
- RDDP2
- 4x4" storage pouch
- RECON pouch
- knife & axe
- TAD Predator Hardshell

That's the beauty of TAD system - pouches! I'll show you later on what's inside. By putting stuff & pouches ON the pack I have some benefits of course:
a) quick access to crucial stuff (knife, spare lens, etc.)
b) I carry Hardshell on the outside of the pack because that way it'll dry faster after rain, and it won't make my cloths wet. Also I can put it on me faster and continue my trip faster. If the rain starts I also don't have to unzip the main compartment.
c) more space inside

tad_fast_ps_04.jpg

tad_fast_ps_05.jpg

tad_fast_ps_06.jpg

Now let's explore the "outside layer" of the pack a bit more in detail...

POUCHES:
- Round Pocket -> I carry spare telezoom lens there. The last thing I want in the mountains would be digging into the pack to find the lens when I have an eagle flying my way
- RDDP2 -> additonl carry space if needed
- 4x4" storage pouch -> Ti alkohol stove & Spork (just to prevent some remainings of denaturated alcohol to give "that special scent" to my cloths)
- RECON pouch -> documents & phone

tad_fast_ps_07.jpg

OUTSIDE POCKETS:
- upper pocket -> maps & lightweight flat folder
- small middle pocket -> kuksa, some tissues & "life saver" flask (Jack Daniels since you ask )
- lower outside zipper pocket -> towell (even if a bit wet it can't harm my cloths when in there)

tad_fast_ps_08.jpg

BOTTOM ZIPPER POCKET:
- SureFire L1 flashlight on a gearkeeper

tad_fast_ps_09.jpg

OK, the last part for today... as you can guess it's "what's inside?" part. So? What's inside?

- medical "first aid" bag in the mesh upper inside pocket - well protected during trip, don't get in the way when digging in the pack, but still VERY fast easy to access. It's now black but next week I'll grab a regular red one.
- slipping bag (big & heavy 1.4kg, I need a new one for sure)
- TAD Ranger Hoodie
- TAD Equilibrium
- couple of T's
- shorts (TAD Cargo's -> on me right now)
- spare underware & socks (black bag)
- TAD multicam oversized bandana
- TAD Brain Case
- large Guyot silicon bowl
- stainless mug (for cooking, to be replaced with Ti soon)
- washing & shaving stuff (black zipper bag)
- dSLR camera

tad_fast_ps_10.jpg

tad_fast_ps_11.jpg

And I could still find some space for couple of items! 42 liters of FAST PS v.2 is just enough for a couple of days in the mountains. Not too big, not too small - just RIGHT!

That's all for now. More when I'm back from the mountains beginning of Sept.

KingsleyK9

Mar 25, 2012
UK
Wow,

the whole kit looks excellent & well organised,

but I nearly fell off my chair when I saw the TAD prices here in UK!!!!!

Oh well the search continues!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE