Tactical Pen ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
Morning, I'm trying to find a Decent ''Tactical Pen'' that is a fair price, meaning nothing that the Seals have in there EDC Kit.
Any info or site advise please let me know.
Cheer's
Happy New Year

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
The Americans spent millions developing the "Space Pen."
Yes, it does write upside down after a night out at -30C. I have one.
The Russian cosmonauts use a pencil.

No they don't, that's just an urban myth corrupted from when NASA ordered some special 'space pencils' at the beginning of the space race and paid a fortune for them

Since the 60's both Russian cosmonauts and US astronauts have been using the same style of pen which was independantly designed and patented by the Fisher Pen company

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
No they don't, that's just an urban myth corrupted from when NASA ordered some special 'space pencils' at the beginning of the space race and paid a fortune for them

Since the 60's both Russian cosmonauts and US astronauts have been using the same style of pen which was independantly designed and patented by the Fisher Pen company

Was just typing in a similar response when yours appeared, can you imagine the damage a wayward piece of pencil lead would do to a vital system in a spacecraft if it floated into the electronics, doesn't even have to be that big, just a bit of graphite dust will do the job quite nicely.

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
Cos the last Bic Splintered & went through the Flap of Skin between my finger & thumb. that & the lids aren't secure enough.

Last edited:

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
IMHO the best ink pens are Ballograf. Sturdy, comfortable.
Last ‘forever’.
Not ‘tactical’ per se, but strong enough to be used as one with skill.

The early Soviet space missions used a pencil, but one with a wax core enclosed in a rolled paper sheath.
The reason is that it is not a good idea to have bits of electrically conductive graphite floating around in a space craft.
Then when the Fisher pens were ready developed and cheap, they switched.
Smart people, the Russians, they let the Americans foot the development costs!

The Americans spent millions developing the "Space Pen."
Yes, it does write upside down after a night out at -30C. I have one.
The Russian cosmonauts use a pencil.

more then 10years ago i worked in tropical Darwin and my alcoholic boss made fun of me for using pencils instead of ball pens and calling them "" Russian space pens" " ---in the end i was the one laughing when he sent me to buy a box of pencils for use at work as ball pens regularly failed...
i haven't tried any "tactical pens" for various reasons, out in the field i stick to normal pencils (which are around for a few hundred years longer then newfangled ideas), at home i use the more modern version where you push a button on the end do get more "lead" coming out

I guess the origin of the "russian space pen story"" is to show that the Russians don't come up with newfangled stuff when there's already a working solution in existence and that their gear is to be meant simple and reliable ( like the famous AK's)
sorry for going on an off-topic rant again:biggrin:

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
What is the use for a so called ‘tactical pen’?

I have a special tool easily accessible in every car, and take one with me when renting one.
Can cut the belt and smash the window easily with it ( tried on a car wreck).

Apart from writing the grocery list, what would you use one for?

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
In my military days, we were always told to use pencils and not pens, because they don’t run out! If you use the softer leads they will write on damp paper, few biros will do this.

I find a handful of Screwfix pencils do the job nicely and with note pads, it fits in the spiral binder a treat, sorted.

Reactions: Toddy and GuestD

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Cos the last Bic Splintered & went through the Flap of Skin between my finger & thumb. that & the lids aren't secure enough.

An ideal opportunity to break out the soldering iron? :lmao:

Tactical pens are generally quite heavy and not really built for writing, more as a self defence device. If it’s going to be a daily user you’d be better off with a decent ballpoint. Have a look at the steel Zebra pens.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zebra-F-xM...ocphy=9045779&hvtargid=pla-630977386792&psc=1

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
If you think you might be in a situation where you might need a Tactic Pen then I suspect you might be better off with Tactical Running Shoes.

And a glassbreaker? Come on. You have a greater chance of having a fatal accident with a fridge than needing a glass breaker to escape from a burning/sinking car.
Besides, the thieves generally use an automatic centrepunch to break glass.

Reactions: Winnet and GuestD

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Besides, the thieves generally use an automatic centrepunch to break glass.

Actually the tool most favoured by thieves for breaking windows is a small stone with a sharp corner on it.

I was surprised when I found out when a copper told me but he explained the reason is a stone is far easier to be ditched and very hard for law enforcement to link them back to the thief unlike a centre punch.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE