Tactical lanyard for safe knife use

Jan 10, 2016
Lapland, Sweden
I need to find or make a lanyard for a bigger swedish survival knife (Fallkniven A1). I want it to be extandable by sliding knots for use with big winter gloves.
There is a lanyard made in the USA, The PSK retention tactical lanyard III that corresponds exactly to my needs but it is not available today.
So, I have to try making it by my self and to do this I have one question about paracording technique. Maybe this is more a bushcraft subject but I hope there are someone here who can give me a tips.
How do I make a square knot braid that slides along a doubble sling together with two sliding knots? (The braid will cover the upper part of my hand when using the lanyard with the safe tumb grip approach.)
Thank´s
/ Olle

Jan 10, 2016
Lapland, Sweden
Yes.
That´s a lanyard made by "The Paragordist" Kevin G. He calls it model 2.
In the picture the lanyard is used around the wrist and the model I like to do is his model 3 where the wrist loop
is open forming two separate threads with ending knots. A loop in the end is always a way
to get snagged into branches etc. I guess everything except the sliding braid is quite simple to do.
So the question remains. How to do that?

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
You can make an adjustable loop by tying something similar to a 'double fisherman's knot, but don't pull it tight.
Something similar to the image below.

double-fishermans.jpg

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Can I ask why you want a lanyard like that?

I would suggest looking at Bladesports and how lanyards are used there.

To me, a rear lanyard like that on a chopper is more likely to end up like a helicopter on my wrist.

As you have a rear lanyard hole already, I would look at the thumb loop style lanyard. I can find pictures if you need.

Jan 10, 2016
Lapland, Sweden
Maybe I have been unclear.
It is NOT a wrist lanyard I want to do.
It is the thumb loop style that you suggest here.
I want to do it with open slings in the end with stop knots.
Please post some pictures and maybe instruction how to make a sliding braid
that loops on the slings. The braid is there to stabilize on the upper side of the hand
when gripping the knife.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Sorry, I think the picture threw me off and I didn't notice you had put thumb in the first post. :)

I would just add a double fishermans as mrcharly has put.

Another option is leave it large enough for use with gloves then if using without gloves to twist the lanyard to take in the slack.

Jan 10, 2016
Lapland, Sweden
Yes, this is a good model and more simple to do.
Time for a (maybe) silly question, but how do I put one more color in the braid?
As you all see, I´m VERY new in this business ;-)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE