Sword ban - knee jerk time

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Its going to need to either be appraised by a court appointed expert, or have a certificate of authenticity from the Japanese Government, marking it as having been manufactured by a legitimate licensed japanese swordsmith.

In small towns i fear the aforementioned expert could be Dave from the local constabulary, who will invariably brand the priceless japanese antique as tat and have it destroyed, which will then **** off the entire martial arts practicing community of Britain..

A lot of this will be common sense. If you're walking to your martial arts class, they're probably not going to have a problem. I've been stopped by the police before on the way to a class and been asked what i was carrying, but they knew the club was there etc, and there wasn't a problem.

I echo Mirius' comments. There's already a perfectly good law to control the *carrying* of such weapons in public, which works very well for controlling all kinds of sharps. If this rule was specifically banning sale, i would be a lot less ticked off by it all, but its specifically targetting the consumer.

Blar!

Exactly this kind of legislation has been discussed before (air rifles?) and it raises heated debate on both sides of the argument.

Firearms offenses increased, immediately after the ban on handguns and more importantly, the rate of increase was up as well. As a police firearms officer said to me at the time "The only people who have handguns now are criminals and the discipline and education which used to be prevalent with responsible, legal ownership has gone".

I have no desire or need to own a sword of any description. "Why would anyone want or need to own one?" - that's none of my business. Anyone who owns a sword for decoration or, like Wayland, for demonstration purposes as part of his livelihood, or even if they just "want one" poses less of a threat to me than a criminal psychopath armed with sharp pencil (let's ban those too!).

This sort of "collective punishment" legislation is directly born out of:

a) A desire to control (all too prevalent today)
b) A reluctance to enforce existing legislation and adequately punish those found guilty of transgression - this is where "Human Rights" ends up - nobody has any rights.

To those people on this forum who advocate such laws I would say this:

I respect your views but the vast majority of people in this country do not practice bushcraft and see no reason why anybody should own a knife or an axe. Look to your sharps - they're next!

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I have no desire or need to own a sword of any description. "Why would anyone want or need to own one?" - that's none of my business. Anyone who owns a sword for decoration or, like Wayland, for demonstration purposes as part of his livelihood, or even if they just "want one" poses less of a threat to me than a criminal psychopath armed with sharp pencil (let's ban those too!).

Criminal Justice Act, 1988 section 139A Offence of having article with blade or point (or offensive weapon) on school premises.

I think they already have...;)

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
It seems like a sensible law. It figures any pikey or hoodlem wouldnt spend much money on a sword.

Restricting propper swords to talented martial artists would seem a bit extreme, consider you inherited an antique sword from a grandparent, etc. Also what about that police unarmed combat expert who stabbed some kid showing him a knife defence move, you martial arts types aren't so disiplined afterall.

Alot of idiotic people can't control there anger or frustration or emotions. I know a good few people who would do somthing stupid in a fit of rage. Good thing the cheap swords aren't to hand...

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
for all those who say "I don't care, I don't want/have one" I have a little something you might want to read.

First They Came for the Jews

First they came for the Jews
and I did not speak out
because I was not a Jew.
Then they came for the Communists
and I did not speak out
because I was not a Communist.
Then they came for the trade unionists
and I did not speak out
because I was not a trade unionist.
Then they came for me
and there was no one left
to speak out for me.
Pastor Martin Niemöller

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
My sentiments exactly Graham, it's not just a case of banning a dangerous item, it's a question of where does it lead to. As has been said by others, people who are likely to use one on another person, will only find something else to use even if that means just stomping on heads, so do they ban steely boots too? Or trainers for example, how many stories do we know of people being kicked to death by youth gangs in recent years. It's people that are the root problem, not the items and not even the availability since most violent crimes do not involve Samurai swords and I imagine the vast majority of cheap replica swords have never and will never be used in a violent crime.

It's an emotive subject but one I think that concerns all of us here, especially as many of us regularly use axes, machettes, billhooks and the like which as weapons are probably as widely and criminally used as replica Samurai swords. I am certain that none of us wish to see these items banned because headline grabing politicians don't know how to deal with the criminal elements in society and take the easy route by appearing to do something.

I was at my first meet the other week at Middlewood and I wouldn't even like to put a number on how many sharp-edged and pointy implements there were being openly carried and used for their intended purpose as tools and in some cases demonstration pieces. However at no point did I feel any unease, despite not knowing anyone present prior to that weekend.

elma

Sep 22, 2005
Ynysddu south wales
I would like to know what they mean by imitation, how do you define it ?
I have a number of live blades ranging in value from £50 to hundreds of £'s, all have been used for ninjutsu over the years all I concider to be imitation, are Paul Chen blades imitation, where is the line drawn

Ian

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
This country is going down the pan, full of duel standards. I can own a shotgun or hunting rifle but cannot own a pistol:rolleyes: I can easily buy a longbow or crossbow and for that matter a black powder weapon, but soon won't be able to hang a sword on the wall.

How long before they ban my beloved petrol and paraffin stoves because they could cause an explosion?

Bushcraft4life

Settler
Dec 31, 2006
London
I also have a number of live blades mainly made up of Samurai swords (although i hate using that name for them), but as elma said, where is the line drawn between imitation blades and so called genuine blades?

I also have a number of live blades mainly made up of Samurai swords (although i hate using that name for them), but as elma said, where is the line drawn between imitation blades and so called genuine blades?

these acordingto teh paper are teh suggested lines

We suggest the following definition, subject to the exemptions dealt with below,
but would be grateful for comments and suggestions on alternative definitions.

“a curved, single edged sword (sometimes known as a “samurai sword”)”.

Possible exemptions

There are already defences to the offence under Section 141 of the Criminal Justice
Act 1988 (see paragraph 4.1) The Government is minded to provide exemptions for
collectors of genuine “samurai swords”. This could be done by providing an exemption
for
(a) swords made in Japan before the licensing regime was introduced in 1953/54; and
(b) swords made in Japan by licensed sword smiths under the regime introduced in
1953/54.

The Government is also minded to provide exemptions for martial arts
practitioners. This could be done by providing exemptions for the specific weapons
used in martial arts (on the basis of the way in which they are manufactured) or by
providing a general exemption for “samurai swords” used in sport.

so Sharpen the back
or straighten it out (Ninja style :rolleyes: )
the Film BLADE wesly Snipes sword would be described as most Sun readers as a Samuri but is straight bladed and double edged so in theory is not banned under this
UC1401NEW.jpg
http://www.swordsdirect.com/UC1401NEW.jpg

jameswhite

Nov 24, 2006
new forest
oh dear i own several samuari swords (replica) i also own a very large carving knife guess ill just have to blow the damn turkey up this year! (unless someone tells me that i cant do that either are also illegal oh dear oh dear!) i just cant keep up since the powers that be started striping me of all my hobbies and tools that went with them, still on the plus side there is now absolutely no gun crime, only one stabbing a year, the police can wear shorts and string vests rather than body armour and youve got more chance bedding angela jolie than being mugged on an inner city street on a dark night happy days!!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE