Swiss Army style knife suggestions?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MilkTheFrog

Tenderfoot
Nov 10, 2015
United Kingdom
Been looking for something I guess you'd call an "EDC knife" even though i'm not overly fond of that term, but mainly something I could take while riding the bike or going on short trips away just in case I need it. I've been looking through the Victorinox range and nothing seems to really fit the bill unfortunately. Ideally I'd like something with a small blade, a saw, bottle opener, corkscrew, Phillips screwdriver and a flathead would be a plus. I'm not too fussed about scissors and most other thing I've seen on some models seem a bit superfluous to be honest. Tinker is missing the corkscrew and the saw, Huntsman and Camper are missing the screwdriver. Bit frustrating really, almost like they designed them so that you'd feel the need to buy more than one :rolleyes:

I don't have any great brand loyalty or anything like that, but I don't really know of any other brands to look for which are worth having. So I guess that's what I'm asking for. I've seen a couple of really cheap ones which seem to have everything but the whole "all of the features, none of the cost" approach doesn't exactly inspire confidence...

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Last edited:

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
I had the Spartan for a long time, now it's the Climber.
A good friend of mine had a SAK with a saw, unfortunately as he was using the saw he was not mindful and the blade snagged on a harder spot and folded onto his fingers.
Be careful.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Been looking for something ... I could take while riding the bike or ...

I'd suggest a multi-tool if you're going to be on the bike. When I'm on the bike I always take a SwissTool, or one of the Leatherman range. A pair of pliers is sometimes really useful.
Unfortunately most of them won't have a corkscrew, but then I have no need of one. :)
You might want to consider taking two tools. I usually do anyway.

... friend ... the blade snagged on a harder spot and folded onto his fingers. ...

Locking blades are far safer. Thank you, HMG (or is that too political?).

MilkTheFrog

Tenderfoot
Nov 10, 2015
United Kingdom
Huntsman Lite (5 layer)
http://www.victorinox.com/global/en...Medium-Pocket-Knives/Huntsman-Lite/p/1.7915.T

Or the Swiss Champ (8 layer)
http://www.victorinox.com/global/en...ves/Medium-Pocket-Knives/Swiss-Champ/p/1.6795

Just to mention that Amazon have Victorinox Huntsman going at £16.20 atm, which imo is excellent value. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0001P151W

Another alternative would be one of the Leatherman Juice models. Like the Cs4.

Thanks, yeah. I did see that Huntsman, it is tempting but it seems like something i'm only ever going to use maybe half the features of considering it doesn't have a Phillips bit. Just browsing their site and the Outrider is another one that seems to fit the bill and isn't overly expensive... even if i would prefer the slightly bulkier blade and saw of some of the other models in that range.

Leatherman tools seem interesting, but for the same features are a lot more expensive and a lot of the tool is dedicated to the pliers which I don't really think I'd use that much.

I'd suggest a multi-tool if you're going to be on the bike. When I'm on the bike I always take a SwissTool, or one of the Leatherman range. A pair of pliers is sometimes really useful.
Unfortunately most of them won't have a corkscrew, but then I have no need of one. :)
You might want to consider taking two tools. I usually do anyway.

Yeah, I have a park tools multi-tool in the saddle bag for any adjustments I need to make on the road. Along with spare tubes, instant patches, tyre levers and a small lock. Would just be nice to have something I could throw in the jersey pocket for peace of mind, that could help following a fall or accident or in case I mis-plan and end up having to spend the night somewhere.

Magentus

Settler
Oct 1, 2008
West Midlands
Firstly I'd steer of cheaper models. Victorinox is top quality and their warranty is second to none.

The Swisschamp will have everything you need, unless you want to modify one like I did to produce a discontinued model, the 'Woodsman'. It has the in-line philips driver, a woodsaw plus the 2 flat drivers, a corkscrew, awl, excellent scissors and most fun of all, a magnifier. I carry mine everywhere (it's totally UK legal) and use pretty much all of the tools on a regular basis. I would highly recommend any Victorinox SAK. Here's mine;

trubliphone

Mar 10, 2014
USA
I own the Huntsman and for years have considered it the "almost perfect" SAK. All it is missing - as you say - is a phillips screwdriver. But the other day I got to thinking and realized that almost all of my phillips needs could be (and have been) met w/ the smaller screwdriver. If I really need to fix/build something w/ a screwdriver then odds are I will be at home or someplace else w/ proper tools.

My Son owned (now lost!) the Evogrip S18 which I also considered the "almost perfect" SAK. It had everything the Huntsman did but swapped out the corkscrew for the coveted phillips screwdriver.

When push comes to shove, though, I would rather open a bottle of wine than tighten a screw.

I highly recommend the Huntsman. It is always in my pocket (it serves as my keychain). And I use it several times every day.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ettrick reiver

MilkTheFrog

Tenderfoot
Nov 10, 2015
United Kingdom
Yeah, the Outrider seems similar but swaps out the smaller blade for the screwdriver and keeps the corkscrew. Think i prefer the layout and handle design too. Only "trouble" is that it is kind of a locking blade. Hmm...

Magentus

Settler
Oct 1, 2008
West Midlands
The small driver on the can opener is pretty good for most philips screws (provided the screw isn't too tight). I would avoid the back scale philips on the Tinker as it may shear. The in-line philips is really good. If your budget would stretch to a Swisschamp I would recommend that as an option. The only redundant tools on that are the fish scaler (although fans of it use it as a fork!) and the back scale chisel.

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Yeah, the Outrider seems similar but swaps out the smaller blade for the screwdriver and keeps the corkscrew. Think i prefer the layout and handle design too. Only "trouble" is that it is kind of a locking blade. Hmm...

And the blade is over 3"

trubliphone

Mar 10, 2014
USA
Personally, I like having 2 blades on my SAK. I use the larger blade for everyday stuff and it gets dull pretty quick. I keep the shorter one extremely sharp and only use it for "special occasions."

Reactions: Ettrick reiver

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE