swiss army knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Mar 22, 2006
North Wales
hi just got a swiss army knife off evil bay nice little LEGAL blade putting the pocket back into pocket knife ha ha, and the scales are a little bit battered and what not, and was wondering has anyone attempted to rehandle a swiss pocket knife succsesfully? and if so would anyone like to do mine, ill pay of course but want a real pro job on it if its actually do able
Cheers guys
Jamie

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
yes i have seen it done one this site, are you looking specifically for wooden scales because if you have the little sheet that comes with the sak when you buy it victorinox will replace the scales with some more plastic ones for free
leon

JDilling

Jan 9, 2007
Connecticut, USA
I would recommend leaving the battered scales on the knife, assuming they're all there. If you carry it around in your pocket, you'll watch the scales get little dings and dongs as time progresses , so I don't see any point in changing them.

leon-b said:
yes i have seen it done one this site, are you looking specifically for wooden scales because if you have the little sheet that comes with the sak when you buy it victorinox will replace the scales with some more plastic ones for free
leon

I bought several things at once from someone, there was a victorinox sak included. The main blade was damaged so I went to a local dealer, he sent it to the factory and they returned the knife with a new blade, new pincet, new tandstickor, new scales. They oilded the complete knife and all i had to pay were the shipping costs, 7,20 euro, about 5 pounds! That's what i call service.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The best man for re-handling your SAK, is Bushwacker Bob on this forum. I've handled a couple of his beautifully handled pocket knives (including his own, custom made, damascus bladed knife last night - WOW). I'd drop him a PM if I was you. Bear in mind though you are talking a craftsman who works in hard woods and semi precious stones!

Red

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
British Red said:
The best man for re-handling your SAK, is Bushwacker Bob on this forum. I've handled a couple of his beautifully handled pocket knives (including his own, custom made, damascus bladed knife last night - WOW). I'd drop him a PM if I was you. Bear in mind though you are talking a craftsman who works in hard woods and semi precious stones!

Red
Very nice of you to say so,Red,but I think you have somewhat overstated my skillset!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Bushwacker Bobs handmade damascus pocket knife. Nothing half baked about this in my view

384920087_cdef70429d_o.jpg

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thats what I thought "its not really quite perfect" said he

Oddly though he wouldn't let me pocket it :D

Very much a "gentlemans kinfe" I thought

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Is there a way that I can take one set of plastic scales off of my SAK and replace them with another plastic set from another one? My current EDC is one of those new Economy series with the nylon scales. One of my older knives which I retired some time ago has cellidor scales and I've been thinking of switching them. How do I do so without breaking both sets of scales?

Adam

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
yes, slide a blade between the scales and the liners about a third of the way along the knife.The scales are attatched to the pivot pins at each end and also to the pivot pin in the middle,if you have any centrally mounted blades.Prize off the old scales,there is no adhesive,they will pop off.The replacement scales will need the 'holes' slightly enlarged as they wont pop back on.Fill the enlarged holes with epoxy and fit back on.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE