Swedish Triangia Burner Washer

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
Can anybody help?

I fired up my Triangia yesterday (as the gales had kindly wiped out my electricity supply) and proceeded to explain to my young family the joys of brewing up. After a short time a thick acrid black smoke began to billow from the brass burner. I immediately extinguished the burner and realised what had happened. The rubber washer that normally sits inside the screw sealing cap had come loose and stuck itself to the top of the burner which in the dim candle light I had failed to notice. Needless to say it is totally ruined so I am now seeking a replacement (washer not the burner). I would be extremely grateful if someone could point me in the right direction :)

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I 'made' one for mine (well adapted really). I purchased a pack of plumbing o-rings from b&q cut one then added a section from the one of the others (3 in a pack) and then glued in the extra section with superglue.

This sounds pretty healt robinson but works fine - and i got the idea from a o-ring kit i had a place I worked at thet just had long lengths of round rubber that you cut to lenth and then glued into a ring

was cheap and easy too! ;)

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
You can get replacement O rings - I think they come in a pack of 2 and are about 2 quid.

Do a google search for "Trangia Spares"

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
dommyracer said:
You can get replacement O rings - I think they come in a pack of 2 and are about 2 quid.

Do a google search for "Trangia Spares"

The Swedish army burner is bigger than a civvy trangia and has a much thicker o-ring..
Mine was perished when i bought it - I ended up buying a whole new Swedish burner in one of the group buys on here. :)

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
dommyracer said:
Ahh didn't realise it was an Army model. Should have guessed I suppose.

good point.. I always tend to think of the army model whenever 'Swedish' is included in the description, though i guess technically all trangia's are Swedish !!! (excluding the copies of course :) )

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
Good old BCUK members - I go off to lunch then return to find a host of helpful replies - thanks people as ever I knew I could rely on you :) . I checked out the spares link and it certainly looks similar to my burner and have emailed for sizing but failing that I now have access to an 'o' ring making kit so all the bases now seem to be covered :red:

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
If the "O" ring set fails to provide a good alternative to the geniune thing, I noticed that my local Outdoor Shop stocks the geniune replacement rings, 2 in a pack.
If you need one drop me a PM and I'll stick a couple in the post to you mate. ;)

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
I don't trust the o-rings. :(

As mentioned above they perish or get damaged by putting them back while the burner is hot and I don't want meths in my rucksack so I let it burn out. :(

I tend to measure meths out by saying one second pour = 5 minutes burn so I just use enough for the job in hand. :rolleyes:

Any left over when my Explorer Unit are practicing at the scout HQ is poured into a bottle used for filling tilley lamp primer torches. :cool:

Ben Trout

Nomad
Feb 19, 2006
Wiltshire, GB
Graham, the modifying sounds like hard work. Did you try the plumbing section at Knees? They have a couple of 'selection packs' of O rings. I will check on dimensions and let you all know, but independant hardware shops stock useful gubbinz that the big DIY stores don't. Will report when I've done some measuring.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE