Bushbuddy/Swedish army triangia combo and general kit for trip to South India.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Boucaneer

Forager
Dec 2, 2012
London
SKhSd.jpg
Hello chaps, I've been lurking and learning here over the last couple of years. Now I have registered as I would like to let you know of a new set up I have.
l93iV.jpg

I have purchased a bushbuddy ( clone ) and an optimus terra weekend billy can and frypan for my camping trip to Kerala, South India. I opted for the wood burning stove as parafin/kerosene is still on ration there and denatured alcohol is dificult to get over there. I hope to cook on coconut husks ( the woody flesh surrounding the coconut itself. )

The billy sat on the bushbuddy potstand looked and felt a little unstable to me ( I knew I would knock it over with my valuable tea, soup or supper.) and I also needed a windshield to get the best from my stove.

I still needed to boil and clean larger amounts of water so I was thinking what I should use for a larger billy can for my clean water and cooking needs. ( I was thinking about the 14 cm zebra billy to fit around the optimus billy. ) I decided on using Russian army canteens ( flyashkas ) and to boil water in the aluminium bottle if need be.

I like to eat well in the evening cooking up real food, like stews and honemade soups and I'm afraid noodles alone just don't do it for me so I still needed a bigger billy pot. Then I remembered that I had a Swedish army triangia set stowed away.

I made some modifications to the s.a.t windshield ( like cutting down a notch on the opposite side of the windshield so I could turn the Swedish fry pan round the other way.)

I sat the windshield on top of my bushbuddy wood burner and it fitted great. Only I could not Feed the wood burner now as the opening was blocked by the Swedish windshield, so out came the hacksaw blade again and I cut the opening in the front of the windshield down a few inches until I had an opening I could feed the wood burner through.

The windshield sits pretty stable on top of the bushbuddy with the b.b pot stand passing through the hole at the bottom were the army triangia would normaly pass.

I can use the large Swedish pot and fry pan that sits on the pot stand arms and boil water or cook on the flames of the bushbuddy and I can also use the Optimus terra weekend billy for a really quick smaller batch of water or food.

The fire from the wood burner does not turn the windshield white or weaken or aneal the aluminium as it does not come into contact with the fire itself.

So a stable cooking platform for my food and water all helped by the Swedish windshield holding all the pots stable.
I only hope that the Russian canteens fit well into the windshield and hold and sit up well. I have yet to try it. I should order two unissued ones next week.

I don't know if this set up/combo has been done before but I am reasonably pleased with it and it works very well with wax/cotton wool solid fuel as well. I just have to fit a small tuna can to use them with.

Your opinions would be welcome.

Thanks.

Alex.

Last edited:

Boucaneer

Forager
Dec 2, 2012
London
It's the solo stove! Although I don't like advertising it as they have payed or bribed people to write reviews and advertise for them. It's an ok stove once you get used to feeding it with the right pieces of wood/ biomass.

It's strange not to have an axe to work the wood. A good pair of secotures would probably be more apt. When I get to India I will get myself a machete to shave up kindling with the square spine and maybe a scandi grind on the lower front edge and concave grind for the rest of the main blade.

You have to really have all of the twigs, small branches or biomass all ready prepared to make this a relaxing stove otherwise one is just playing catch up with the fire and then it's not so relaxing.

I liked the look of it and the fact it collects the ashes and doesn't leave any footprint and if dry then very little smoke, I prefered the tidy looking stove over other fold up ones for those reasons.

Last edited:

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
You're certainly right about ethanol/methanol/denatured alcohol being difficult to find in some parts of India. I was in Guntur, and despite having the locals at the company guest-house search through the stores of the town of over 1 million people, was totally unable to source any at all.

Boucaneer

Forager
Dec 2, 2012
London
Yeah, I know! It's pretty hard! I researched it and the reason is the government dont want people to burn down buildings in insurections with meths and such as its fast burning. So they hiked the price up and no-one uses it anymore. Rubbing alcohol might be ok if one can get it from the hospitals/ clinics or chemists. Depends on the water content.

So only kerosene/ parafin but then one still might need meths to prime the bowl/ burn chamber on the parafin/kerosene stove? even so kerosene/parafin is still being rationed at 1 1/2 litres per week to people.

Petrol would be a way to go but I wanted something simple and easy to fix in case it goes wrong. Can't get simpler that a fire and a lot of the locals cook on coconut husk or coconut husk charcoal.

The good thing about India is that candle wax is easily available and one can get cotton wool too so just find a pot and make some solid fuel tabs.

The thing I like about the my system I rigged up is I can split it and have two stoves/ cookers working separately if I need to and cook up a bit of a feast if I had to.

Only thing is of course is it isn't lightweight but without the need of a sleeping bag and using my Hennessy hammock the weight of my pack should be ok. I think food and water needs are priority as I may not be spending much time in hotels, so it is a must.

Last edited:

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Yeah, I know! It's pretty hard! I researched it and the reason is the government dont want people to burn down buildings in insurections with meths and such as its fast burning. So only kerosene/ parafin but then one still might need meths to prime the bowl/ burn chamber on the parafin/kerosene stove? even so kerosene/parafin is still being rationed at 1 1/2 litres per week to people.

Petrol would be a way to go but I wanted something simple and easy to fix in case it goes wrong. Can't get simpler that a fire and a lot of the locals cook on coconut husk or coconut husk charcoal.

The good thing about India is that candle wax is easily available and one can get cotton wool too so just find a pot and make some solid fuel tabs.

The thing I like about the my system I rigged up is I can split it and have two stoves/ cookers working separately if I need to and cook up a bit of a feast if I had to.

Only thing is of course is it isn't lightweight but without the need of a sleeping bag and using my Hennessy hammock the weight of my pack should be ok. I think food and water needs are priority as I may not be spending much time in hotels, so it is a must.

What water purification method do you intend to use? I'd be tempted to put everything - including bottled water - through a filter!

Boucaneer

Forager
Dec 2, 2012
London
I was going to millbank bag my water then rolling boil it for a few Minuits then use and if stored in bottles then add an aquapure or similar chem tablet.

But any suggestions then great!

I wouldn't trust a filter alone as hepatitis A can be as small as 0.1 micron and most filters only go down to 0.2 microns, even so they are only 99.9999 effective, considering how many millions of active individual parasites and viruses then there's still a chance one could slip through. Filter then boil the taste would be better.

Shame as I can't afford a filter right now, I'm doing this trip on a tight budget, hence only sleeping in a hotel once a week. Already booked my ticket so no turning back now. : )

Last edited:

Boucaneer

Forager
Dec 2, 2012
London
Last edited:

Boucaneer

Forager
Dec 2, 2012
London
That reminds me! I gotta get some Permithrin. Sawyers do it but would like to buy some farm stuff and dilute myself!

I will check the Sawyers filter out!

Boucaneer

Forager
Dec 2, 2012
London
Thank you Andy!

The SP194, 0.02 micron purifier looks great. That's certainly saved me some space and some weight.

It is a very easy product! About time I used some modern developments. My camping was getting too 1970's. :)

Thanks a lot.

Now to check on the price! Fingers crossed. :)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
1.5 litre of paraffin will provide for all you cooking needs for a week easily. You can prime using paraffin, you need a wick in the priming bowl for the paraffin to burn from, twist of paper will do. Its a bit messier but no big deal plus paraffin stoves are still cheap to buy out there, Prabhat brand was popular and are still made there.

Boucaneer

Forager
Dec 2, 2012
London
Thanks Rik! That information might come in useful!

As your from South Wales, I don't suppose you know a bush crafter called Steve Rigsby do you, he's from Cedn Coed, just outside Merther, or his girlfriend Roz the bus driver?

Andy, do you know of a UK supplier for the Sawyers sp194 system by any chance.

I have read about leakages with the bag and sometimes a poor flow rate ( could be user error. ) but if it works then looks a very good system. O.02 microns is great for a viral filter.

I hope I can find a uk stockist.

Last edited:

Boucaneer

Forager
Dec 2, 2012
London
Here is the uk stockist. They ain't cheap mind. Might be cheaper to get from amazon ( USA ) and have shipped!

Uk stockist. http://sawyerwaterfilters.eu/filters/biologic

I'm in two minds! You see if I skint myself and buy a 0.02 filter for viruses ( £260 )I would still have to boil the water as viruses can be as small as 0.01 microns. And there is lots of Hep A in India.

So if I'm still gonna have to boil my water why not get a 0.10 micron filter and use that. Sure there will be more viruses passing through the filter but if I'm gonna boil the water anyway? ( perfect world I would get the more expensive 0.02 and sti boil it, but it expensive and maybe not needed. )

Any opinions about this anyone?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Dano

Forager
Nov 24, 2005
UK
You would probably get away with cooking over an open fire most of the time; nobody seems to give much of a toss about such things
So what’s happening in Kerala? If you get the chance go fishing for the Mahseer, brilliant fish and very strong, take some heavy braid and decent hooks (medium to large) from the UK for the best experience
On water safety I would still boil whatever filtration method you are using, I have just had a couple of months of sickness, Typhoid and then amoebic dysentery, both rather unpleasant and the drugs for the latter were worse…make sure your jabs are up to date, I don’t even know how I got them as I am ultra careful, i.e. not letting shower water into my mouth eyes or ears and rinsing my tooth brush in bottle water etc, I think it could have come from a can of pop that was sitting in cold water
do wear the insect repellent even in the morning, that’s when the Dengue carrying mozzies are about, don’t worry too much about it as the first time can be flu like, it’s the second to fourth times you get it can be really bad but you won’t be staying long enough to get a second dose, obviously malaria is a real concern over there
You should enjoy India; it’s a really interesting place

brozier

Tenderfoot
Oct 9, 2012
leicestershire
I Looked at filters a while ago.

I plumbed for a general ecology first need XL with a set of adaptors (They actually threw in the adaptors for free as they weren't sue if they would fit the Issue Water bottle).

Came return of post and looks like a very well thought out bit of kit.

The EPA tests swung it for me, proven tested technology - you can't skimp on drinking water especially somewhere like India....

The only thing I would change is the lurid colour!

Cheers
Bryan

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Here is the uk stockist. They ain't cheap mind. Might be cheaper to get from amazon ( USA ) and have shipped!

Uk stockist. http://sawyerwaterfilters.eu/filters/biologic

I'm in two minds! You see if I skint myself and buy a 0.02 filter for viruses ( £260 )I would still have to boil the water as viruses can be as small as 0.01 microns. And there is lots of Hep A in India.

So if I'm still gonna have to boil my water why not get a 0.10 micron filter and use that. Sure there will be more viruses passing through the filter but if I'm gonna boil the water anyway? ( perfect world I would get the more expensive 0.02 and sti boil it, but it expensive and maybe not needed. )

Any opinions about this anyone?

Thanks!

I'd go for the .1 micron filter, and boil. However, its the water you don't boil yourself that'll get you! (ice cubes, food prep etc)

Rik's right that paraffin stoves abound in India, but I ad a good look around - admittedly only in one largish town - and saw bucketloads of the large paraffin cookers, but none of the pressurised ones in the Optimus/Primus/Monitor style. It might be worth your while looking for a small paraffin burner - Optimus 96 or similar - to take with you? Also, make sure you filter your paraffin first!

T

trousers

I got a http://sawyerwaterfilters.eu/filters/biologic/sp131 from the states through amazon. Big mistake! It took 24 days to arrive, and the "cheap price" that i thought i'd got ended up being £15 more than the sawyer europe site when the UPS man demanded their import/VAT/local admin fees before he would hand it over at the door. Lesson learned!
Filter is brilliant though! And to think i don't have to worry about replacement cartridges....

Boucaneer

Forager
Dec 2, 2012
London
Thanks all, good advice! Cheers.

I've also been looking at Sawyers Permithrin on the same website as the filters. I've seen the trigger spray 700ml bottle but would you recommend the soak system instead?

It's that malaria and dengue fever that I want to protect myself from in my hammock and clothing as the little blighters bite right through.

Any advice?

Cheers all!

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
If you have yet to decide on a water filtration system you might consider looking at some of these options.http://www.drinksafe-systems.co.uk/products.php

I've no commercial connection with them, but I have used the Drinksafe Maxi (bottom of products page) for some months now, and although I boil the water as well I've yet to have any problems. Water source is an old well close to farmland. The various devices appear to have been given fairly high levels of clearance by a number of organisations and the supplier is based in the West country and delivery/ support is excellent.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE