Swedish snow smock,dyed and waxed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

troutman

Nomad
May 14, 2012
North East (UK)
Thanks! That smock really is huge! Also on the topic of buttons, I have had the drawcord toggles on some jackets go from black plastic to olive green! must be the type of plastic that causes it. Also some shiny plastics don't seems to take up the dye as well as matt plastic ones.

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Really like that jacket bro. Really tempted to have a go myself..... not seen that 'recipe' for waxing .... did you use all the beeswax pj ? What are the proportions? Just wondering if its cheaper than the recipe I've got?!!
Beeswax ,boiled linseed ,and gumtree turps.... Top job anyhoo d

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Just out of interest for those who have had problems dying the buttons.... have you used washing machine dye or hand wash dye??? Just think maybe the hand dye might be more concentrated?!

Jomo

Tenderfoot
Aug 30, 2012
banbury
Really like that jacket bro. Really tempted to have a go myself..... not seen that 'recipe' for waxing .... did you use all the beeswax pj ? What are the proportions? Just wondering if its cheaper than the recipe I've got?!!
Beeswax ,boiled linseed ,and gumtree turps.... Top job anyhoo d

the 800 gram tub of P.J was £9.15p and i bought a tub load of beeswax from a carboot sale for a quid or something stupid (lucky find) this jacket weighed approx 900grams more after waxing so i probably used two thirds of the tub and two lumps of beeswax so i'm guessing the ratio is something like 4 to 5 parts P.J. to 1 part beeswax although i wasn't too fussed about exact measurements when i waxed the smock. What i can say for certain is that the jacket is Bombproof and as waterproof as a 200quid Barbour jacket. Barbours thornproof dressings (7 to 8quid a can) main ingredient is P.J which is where i got the idea for this recipe. Hope that helps

Jomo

Tenderfoot
Aug 30, 2012
banbury
Just out of interest for those who have had problems dying the buttons.... have you used washing machine dye or hand wash dye??? Just think maybe the hand dye might be more concentrated?!

It was a washing machine type dye that you mix with 500g of ordinary salt,the instructions state that you put the dye straight into the washing machine then the salt on top and then the garment you wish to dye. I put the dye into an old tub then added the salt and mixed the two together before pouring the mixture into the washing machine cylinder and putting the smock in after. You need 1 packet of dye for every 600g of fabric otherwise it will come out lighter in colour,although if you plan on waxing the garment afterwards you will need to take into account the fact that the wax will darken the fabric considerably. In my opinion i would avoid using turps in your recipe, its highly flammable smells awful and is quite toxic, P.J and beeswax on the other hand are practically harmless although i admit they are both flammable

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Thanks for that.... To be honest the turps is almost completely odour fee as its the proper turps ie from trees rather than petrol so pretty smell free slightly piney ..... I bit the bullet and bought one as I've hankered for one for a whiles and as you know cheap as chips really.
Did you mix the beeswax with the pj?
Ta d

Jomo

Tenderfoot
Aug 30, 2012
banbury
Nice work on the jacket Jomo.

How 'fast' is the wax, does it rub off easily through on to your clothes under it?

its a little bit slick directly after waxing but that's just the excess wax which is to be expected. It doesn't really rub off onto clothes from the inside but you can feel it on your hands when handling the outside, I suspect this will lessen with time and use. The main problem is getting the blinkin thing on and off as the wax is quite grippy :)

BJJJ

Native
Sep 3, 2010
North Shropshire
I have just bought a snow smock from Endicotts, (amazing service) and intend to follow your very helpful instructions.
The finished article looks really good and will fill a niche in my gear. Thanks for the write up .:You_Rock_

Jomo

Tenderfoot
Aug 30, 2012
banbury
I have just bought a snow smock from Endicotts, (amazing service) and intend to follow your very helpful instructions.
The finished article looks really good and will fill a niche in my gear. Thanks for the write up .:You_Rock_[/

They are a good bunch of lads at Endicotts. Let us all know how you get on and good luck

BJJJ

Native
Sep 3, 2010
North Shropshire
They are a good bunch of lads at Endicotts. Let us all know how you get on and good luck.

Well I have finished the dying and it looks about ready to put the wax and petroleum jelly mix on. I note that you did it with a paintbrush and then melted it in with a hairdryer. Yours looks absolutely brilliant so I hope to emulate it exactly. Did you cover the whole jacket before heating it or put some wax on and melt it as you went is small areas ?
snow jacket green.jpg
And your right about Endicotts I couldn't praise them highly enough. Outstanding service.

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
That looks Awsome mat, another option if people don't wont it quite so waxed is to rub the block of wax over the coat like a crayon and then go over with the hair drier and this can be repeated until your get the desired amount

BJJJ

Native
Sep 3, 2010
North Shropshire
With acknowledgement to Jomo's excellent instructions I have finished my snow smock dyed green and waxed. I am very pleased with the result and again thank Jomo for the inspiration.
waxed snow smock.jpg

Jomo

Tenderfoot
Aug 30, 2012
banbury
With acknowledgement to Jomo's excellent instructions I have finished my snow smock dyed green and waxed. I am very pleased with the result and again thank Jomo for the inspiration.
View attachment 15759

really good job, i hope it works well for you. Ive just been working in mine for the past week power washing down a warehouse it worked brilliantly

BJJJ

Native
Sep 3, 2010
North Shropshire
really good job, i hope it works well for you. Ive just been working in mine for the past week power washing down a warehouse it worked brilliantly

It looks fabulous but since I made it we have had almost no rain, can't wait to test it properly.

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but what quantity is it possible to make up, please? I'd like to take it to a couple of meets a month apart and do a few smaller pieces as well. Would it store in eg plastic bottles which could be taken to meets and used, d'you think? Are the garments too flammable during the process to melt the wax dressing on in small areas at a time by a campfire?

I've bought 900g of petroleum jelly (hubby will have a shock ;) ) and 454g beeswax (I'll use the rest for polish and massage bars so it won't waste). I gather they are carefully melted together in a bain marie or should the wax be melted in a seperate bain marie and added to the room temperature/ warmed petroleum jelly?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE