Swedish snow smock,dyed and waxed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BJJJ

Native
Sep 3, 2010
North Shropshire
I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but what quantity is it possible to make up, please? I'd like to take it to a couple of meets a month apart and do a few smaller pieces as well. Would it store in eg plastic bottles which could be taken to meets and used, d'you think? Are the garments too flammable during the process to melt the wax dressing on in small areas at a time by a campfire?

I've bought 900g of petroleum jelly (hubby will have a shock ;) ) and 454g beeswax (I'll use the rest for polish and massage bars so it won't waste). I gather they are carefully melted together in a bain marie or should the wax be melted in a seperate bain marie and added to the room temperature/ warmed petroleum jelly?

You can make any quantity because it will set and can be reused at any time and can be stored in any plastic pot. It doesn't deteriorate and just needs re-heating to liquefy it for re-use.
I haven't tried melting via a camp-fire and would not recommend this method. I would think the control would be very difficult and you could end up with a spectacular unintended result.

You are right with the Baine marie, (I knew there was a name for a pot inside a pot) and they are both melted together. Although I would be very reluctant to heat it over a camp fire.

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
You can make any quantity because it will set and can be reused at any time and can be stored in any plastic pot. It doesn't deteriorate and just needs re-heating to liquefy it for re-use.
I haven't tried melting via a camp-fire and would not recommend this method. I would think the control would be very difficult and you could end up with a spectacular unintended result.

You are right with the Baine marie, (I knew there was a name for a pot inside a pot) and they are both melted together. Although I would be very reluctant to heat it over a camp fire.
I was thinking of suspending the preprepared mixture a good distance over- like a smoked meat, from the tarp at 6'+, or under the fire in smaller quantities to soften and rub in, then warm the garment.... yup, VERY aware of the possibilities and results of flammability, it wouldn't be suitable for a family meet at a communal for sure :) I'd definately make it up first at home, too easy to have an accident in camp.

Thanks for the answers, BJJJ, just got to wait for the ingredients and I can have a play.... if it keeps still long enough, it'll be waxed ;)

Last edited:

BJJJ

Native
Sep 3, 2010
North Shropshire
I was thinking of suspending the preprepared mixture a good distance over- like a smoked meat, from the tarp at 6'+, or under the fire in smaller quantities to soften and rub in, then warm the garment.... yup, VERY aware of the possibilities and results of flammability, it wouldn't be suitable for a family meet at a communal for sure :) I'd definately make it up first at home, too easy to have an accident in camp.

Thanks for the answers, BJJJ, just got to wait for the ingredients and I can have a play.... if it keeps still long enough, it'll be waxed ;)

It might be a good way of doing it because I can remember standing in front of a fire,and after a few minutes when I moved and my trouser leg touched my skin it was burning hot but not material damage. It's an interesting project.:cool:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE