Swedish Smock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

steven andrews

Settler
Mar 27, 2004
Jersey
jimfs1 said:
Size advice for said smock.
I ordered a medium sized smock from Exarmy, which has just arrived.
It has on the inside Size 1, I'm a 44 inch chest but this thing is huge it works out at a 54 inch chest.
I gathered rthey might be a large fit but this is a bit to big.
Can anyone measure their smock and give me a clue to what size the number printed on the smock is in inches or cm's.
Ta very much.
jim

Jim, I ordered a medium. Mine has a label with "2" stitched into it.
I layed the smock out and measured seam to seam under the armpits.
27 across - total 54 inches.
I'm a 39 inch chest but I am happy with the size of the smock. The arms are the right length, as is the length of the smock.
I know that I will be able to fit loads of warm kit underneath - even my Rab down jacket.

J

jimfs1

Steven,
Thanks for the reply. It sounds like they are all one size (huge..).
I must admit the thing is growing on me.
Might keep it ow just for the giggle factor. Plus Exarmy want 15% for handeling plus the postage, might be worth keeping the thing.
Jim

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Hi

This looks really good piece of kit.

Can anyone confirm if the 'Swedish Snow Smock' They have on the Ex Army Jacket section is the Swedish Army Snow Blouse (OG version) pictured by steven at the beginning of the thread please? They have it for £25 inc delivery.

I was a bit confused because it says there M62 version but later JR says the other one is the M62. Think I would prefer the poly/cotton.

Thanks

Simon

J

JR

Moonraker said:
Hi

This looks really good piece of kit.

Can anyone confirm if the 'Swedish Snow Smock' They have on the Ex Army Jacket section is the Swedish Army Snow Blouse (OG version) pictured by steven at the beginning of the thread please? They have it for £25 inc delivery.

I was a bit confused because it says there M62 version but later JR says the other one is the M62. Think I would prefer the poly/cotton.

Thanks

Simon

A bit late this answer, but as far as I can see the smock in this picture is a M-40 windproof smock and not an M-60. You can tell the difference because the M-40 lacks an internal waist draw-cord. I´ts also snow-white instead of light white-green (hard to tell from this picture though).

Cheers,

//J

Wolfie

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 19, 2004
S.Wales
Does anyone know of anywhere in the UK apart from Ex-army where I can buy an M-60 Windproof smock like the one shown in the first post on this thread. I ordered one from Ex-army 10 days ago but when I rang them to see why it hadn't arrived I was told that they had sold out and they wont be getting any more :(

Bogman10

Nomad
Dec 28, 2006
Edmonton,ab,Can
I just got a m-62 off of e-bay ( from the uk ) because I wanted something for both Hunting and Sitting around the fire when Icefishing (sparks are not the best when combined with nylon on Down Parkas )
Bought a large/x-large before finding this post. Thinking of using it as a tent now ( kidding ) but no problem getting it over Heavy Canada weight winter clothes!

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
Wolfie said:
Does anyone know of anywhere in the UK apart from Ex-army where I can buy an M-60 Windproof smock like the one shown in the first post on this thread. I ordered one from Ex-army 10 days ago but when I rang them to see why it hadn't arrived I was told that they had sold out and they wont be getting any more :(

Original colour, not dyed, one size only:
http://www.factsurplus.co.uk/10245.html

Best regards,
Paul.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
bigjackbrass said:
A very handy piece of kit, nothing magical or revolutionary about it, simply a thoroughly functional and useful item, available very cheaply. Inevitably, if you are going to get it wet then it takes a while to dry (not so much of a problem where I was due to having good stoves in the hut) but a treatment with Nikwak Cottonproof helped to give the smock a decent water repellancy. The front pockets are practically bottomless, and I seem to keep finding an endless supply of bark fragments still in them.

Yep - tried the Nikwax thing. It helps a bit but results weren't as good as I'd hoped. Great outer layer though. Picked mine up for just less than 20 quid so it pays to shop around.

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
Okay, I'm bringing this post back because I'm really interested in getting one of the jackets in Mr Andrew original posts, but all I keep finding are very similar ones that are buttoned all the way up (I believe this is the M62 parka)

Does anyone know anywhere that has M60 over the head smock like in the original post?

SunDog

Forager
Oct 14, 2005
South Coast
There was one the same or very similar for sale on EvilBay recently. Went for just over £10.

green windproof bushcraft smock 38/44 chest Item number: 270073143498

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
dommyracer said:
Okay, I'm bringing this post back because I'm really interested in getting one of the jackets in Mr Andrew original posts, but all I keep finding are very similar ones that are buttoned all the way up (I believe this is the M62 parka)

Does anyone know anywhere that has M60 over the head smock like in the original post?

It's readily available here fro £3.5. PM if interested, think the shipping would be £5 or so.

retrohiker

Jul 2, 2005
Ohio, USA
I just picked one up (just like in the very top photo) but not dyed. Sort of a very light greenish grey -- or dingy off-white. Went for a 5.5 km hike the other day...temperature was about -4 C with light winds. I am completely sold on this as an outer garment!!! Water sort of beads up on the surface in a mist (don't count on it being water proof for long though) and it totally blocks the wind. Being cotton, it'll be great around the fire. Huge pockets for carrying frequently needed items. Very heavy material so it looks like it will last quite a while even under strenuous conditions. Picked mine up for about 17 USD. Think I'll pick up another one and try dying it like the one in the photo.

Rain man

Tenderfoot
Mar 7, 2006
London
Hi Was thinking of getting cheap smock and dying it, treating it and having a lovely shell for keeping wind out, found this thread and its answered some questions but caused more. I found that site which sells the arctic smock but I was unaware of the different types. I was about to order a Large (as I usually take large for most things) but by the sounds of it, its quite tent-like even at medium. I'm 6 foot and average build, 43" chest, 32" waist, 34" leg and annyingly long arms! trousers and shirts are always too short, will the medium be too short in the arms for me? :(
I would like the thinnest weight of material I can get, so it would possibly be used as a summer bush shirt if the weathers not great, and just as a shower/wind proof shell for winter. all cotton is fine by me but would poly still dye ok?

Which shirt am I after? please anybody less confused than me come to my rescue!!

Robbo

Nomad
Aug 22, 2005
Darkest Scotland,
Rain man, while I'm not quite as tall as you, I have a 44" chest and suffer from the same monkey like affliction as you with almots disproportionatley long arms to the rest of me.

I ordered the large and I'm glad i did, plenty of room for layering and i think it helps break up the "man shape" when i'm out shooting too,

I can't praise this smock enough, I've just proofed min with some homemade greenland wax so I'll be updating my thread about the smock shortley.

Besides if you feel its far to big chuck it in a hot wash and shrink it down a bit, just be carefull though, the polycotton full length opening coat might not shrink so much.

Andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE