Swedish M90 Parka vs U.S. Fishtail Parka

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leatherneck

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2005
U.S.
Can anyone who has owned one of these make a comparison between the two. I think both are designed to be worn over all your layers. Is one tougher and warmer than the other?

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
the fishtail parka seems harder to get if you want a genuine one. My dad use to wear a fishtail parka when I was a kid (and had a big beard). Was quite stylish, no idea how it is in outdoor use though. The swedish parka is nice. I often pack that one although I have a lighter synthetic isolating jacket and a down jacket. The parka is more robust, handles sparks and thorns better, and since it cost me less than £10 I don't have to be very gentle with it. I also like the russian roll feature and the length of it. Doubles as a sleepingbag/blanket cover. Can't fault it really, could have been lighter though.

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
I had a Swedish M90 and all i can say is beware of the sizings. I bought a medium (usually take a large/X-Large dependant on manufacturer) and it absolutely swamped me. The US fishtail, if memory serves, is just an outer layer whereas the M90 has a quilted lining. If you could get an M90 that fitted properly i would think you would be hard pushed to beat it as a winter coat quality wise. Hard wearing and warm, even the hood is quilt lined.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
The swedish parkas hood is not quilted, although on some batches they were, but the standard one is not. It is strange that you bought one in M (or L and XL too for that matter), as the sizes are based on weight/height.

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Hi Swede, yep, i know about the height/weight thing. There was a little discussion about it when i listed it for trade on this forum not so long ago. It was a 175 - 185 height and, apparently, it transcribes as a medium as i was informed by one of your countrymen. All i can say is they must breed 'em big over in Sweden!:D The one i had was quilted from the hem to the neb of the hood and all the others i's seen were as well, but there were'nt many.:rolleyes:

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
I bought a genuine M65 fishtail a few weeks ago and I'm loving it. It was an unissued parka, so new for all purposes. It came with a button in quilted liner which is superb, it's very warm, but not so warm that you suffocate in it. I'm wearing it in preference to a down parka at the moment as it seems to breathe better and it's very nearly as warm. They are HUGE though. I usually take a large at the very least (44 chest), more often an XL and the large in the US fishtail swamped me. For the first time since I was a kid, I bought a medium and it is perfect. They are designed to go over many layers of kit for arctic use. But for use in the UK where you'll wear it over less layers, you need to drop one size at least. Medium will be plenty big enough for most "big" blokes. The (button on/off) hood is also massive, designed to be worn over a helmet. It has cords for closing it down if you are just wearing a beanie or something. The older (and very expensive) M51 had wolf fur trim, but the M65 has synthetic fur, which is a bit nasty to be honest. It does the job, but it aint soft, I'm seriously considering having mine re-trimmed in the original wolf-fur used on the M51's. The wired hood is also lined with a tough felt, which is warm and nice and soft on your skin. There is a big velcro flap on the neck, which can be fastened accross your neck with the hood down to give a big warm collar. The hood can be removed to wear it like a jacket and the liner can be removed for warmer weather. Only criticism, it lacks pockets. Just 2 big handwarmers and that's it (though it was designed to be worn over the M65 jacket, so pockets weren't an issue for them). The spacious fit means it can be worn over a lightweight jacket, an M65 field jacket or fleece jacket or something, no worries, but it also looks and fits nice if just worn over a t-shirt. Really superb bit of kit though (those scooter boys in the 60's knew what they were onto with this) and a great looking parka to boot. Worth every penny of £60.

fishtail_parka.jpg

Cheap enough to modify too. If you find you need something warmer, just buy an extra liner and button 2 of em in at the same time - though I doubt you'd need to unless you are planning on doing a lot of sitting around doing nothing in the snow. It's tough, very warm, superb freedom of movement and best of all, very light weight. I love it.

With the hood and without the hood...

m65001.jpg
m65002.jpg

The back...

m65003.jpg

Liner...

Atom11332.jpg

Hood....

0105.gif

Angus Og

Nov 6, 2004
Glasgow
I bought a genuine M65 fishtail a few weeks ago and I'm loving it. It was an unissued parka, so new for all purposes. It came with a button in quilted liner which is superb, it's very warm, but not so warm that you suffocate in it. I'm wearing it in preference to a down parka at the moment as it seems to breathe better and it's very nearly as warm. They are HUGE though. I usually take a large at the very least (44 chest), more often an XL and the large in the US fishtail swamped me. For the first time since I was a kid, I bought a medium and it is perfect. They are designed to go over many layers of kit for arctic use. But for use in the UK where you'll wear it over less layers, you need to drop one size at least. Medium will be plenty big enough for most "big" blokes. The (button on/off) hood is also massive, designed to be worn over a helmet. It has cords for closing it down if you are just wearing a beanie or something. The older (and very expensive) M51 had wolf fur trim, but the M65 has synthetic fur, which is a bit nasty to be honest. It does the job, but it aint soft, I'm seriously considering having mine re-trimmed in the original wolf-fur used on the M51's. The wired hood is also lined with a tough felt, which is warm and nice and soft on your skin. There is a big velcro flap on the neck, which can be fastened accross your neck with the hood down to give a big warm collar. The hood can be removed to wear it like a jacket and the liner can be removed for warmer weather. Only criticism, it lacks pockets. Just 2 big handwarmers and that's it (though it was designed to be worn over the M65 jacket, so pockets weren't an issue for them). The spacious fit means it can be worn over a lightweight jacket, an M65 field jacket or fleece jacket or something, no worries, but it also looks and fits nice if just worn over a t-shirt. Really superb bit of kit though (those scooter boys in the 60's knew what they were onto with this) and a great looking parka to boot. Worth every penny of £60.

Cheap enough to modify too. If you find you need something warmer, just buy an extra liner and button 2 of em in at the same time - though I doubt you'd need to unless you are planning on doing a lot of sitting around doing nothing in the snow. It's tough, very warm, superb freedom of movement and best of all, very light weight. I love it.
Martyn might be a bit cheaper going for coyote rather than a wolf ruff.
Norrøna do one at 59 Euro but it will cost 46 Euro for shipping. :eek:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE