Swedish LK70 Bergen

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
Can anyone give me some info and pictures of the Swedish Army LK70 bergen ?
What material are thay ?
Having used military external frame bergans in the past
eek.gif
I have to ask how comfy are thay? .
Are there any differences in the packs?
What about the LK100?

Twodogs

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
They are great packs. Images here: http://www.surplus.se/component/option,com_virtuemart/page,shop.browse/category_id,35/Itemid,26/

Material is a canvas outer with on the backside and bottom a rubberized waterproof layer. The frame is OK & basic, big flat straps and a basic but comfortable belt. All straps and belts are leather with conventional buckles. Nothing on the pack will fail under extreme cold conditions (like fastex would).

Its a conventional external frame pack but very stable, load is well spread and it's my choice for loads up to 20-25 KG. They are cheap and bombproof.

Hope this helps, google for images.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I think they're ok Cliff BUT I've not walked more than 5 miles at a time with one.

Certainly worth the money and seem just as comfy as my vulcan.

Gill and I both use them,Gill more probably.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I've got one, it's quite good.
I didn't really get on with the harness though.
I replaced it with a MOLLE upgrade set for $20 from ebay.
It's a solid bit of kit and well worth getting if you can pick one up cheap.
I have carried massive loads in complete comfort with it.
I'm thinking of modding mine to take PLCE side pouches.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Having torn zipper on my 15 year old Bergaus Atlas (side pocket), I'm seriously thinking about getting an LK70, and either getting an old Fjällräven or Norröna alu frame for it, or making a wooden one (steel frame on the LK70...).

Zippers are evil. You can't repair or improvise around them in the field.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
I have been using one for a few years now Clive and cant see by it ,it is made from a tough cordura buddy.

Ivanhoe

Forager
Aug 28, 2011
Sweden
Flak-trollslnda09.jpg

LK-70 is an old classic bergen made for war! ;) Generations of swedish soldiers have used them
for months at a time in the wilderness. They are rugged, heavy and lacks all luxery, but will never
let you down. The size is perfect and you can carry anything with that frame.

Some of them have been around for forty years now, so there is a small risk of the waterproofing
layer on the inside of the snow lock having dried up and comming loose from the fabric. (The thinner
fabric that is.) If so, you'll have to brush it off and apply new waterproofing, if you want to.
Not neccessary, easy to do and you can use whatever type you want.

The rucksack even has ski channels behind the side pockets!

Only the old US Alice packs comes close to this quality/price, but the LK-70 has a much
better balance, which gets important on long expeditions.

If you use it extensivly you might end up loving it.

The LK-100 is much newer and might be one of the worlds best backpacks, which
is also reflected in it's price. It is used by the Artic Ranger Regiment in Arvidsjaur
K4 / I19. Have a look around the Sacci homepage, even if only parts are in English:
http://www.sacci.se/public/mallar/page.asp?sidid=84&lang=eng

A sadly soundless clip that shows what conditions these packs were designed for:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caQWajYqSHI

Last edited:

Ivanhoe

Forager
Aug 28, 2011
Sweden
Is this the LK-70? ....

Linky

Definitely.

LK = Last Kapacitet = Load Capacity 70 = 70 metric litres.

There have been at least three different manufacurers of the LK-70, so
they can vary a little in colour or in details, but they are all equally
good.

Last edited:

forestwalker

The intresting thing with 70 l frame external packs compared to the new 90-100 l internal frame packs is that the classic 3/4 length 70 l allows a stuff sack, which makes them 100 l. That was great on canoe trips: the food and stove was in a duffel underneath the main pack, quick and easy on lunch breaks.

I'm definitely going to get an LK70, and make a longer wooden packframe

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
Why do bushcrafters feel the need to search out the oldest, heaviest, most obsolete equipment they can buy, and then in some cases make it even heavier? The only rucsac that I've came close to destroying was an old climbing pack that I bought second hand, and used to haul up crags behind me if I couldn't climb the pitch wearing it, and when I replaced it, it wasn't because it was knackered, it was because I fancied a new rucsac.

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Why do bushcrafters feel the need to search out the oldest, heaviest, most obsolete equipment they can buy, and then in some cases make it even heavier?

That's a good question.. With probably a lot of different answers.

Some I can think of are:

Escapism and Romanticism, canvas kit etc evokes a feeling of being out in the wild a la Nessmuk etc.

Folk don’t actually carry the stuff ‘that’ far from the car / station WHY to the camp ground, so Bergen weight or functionality is not really an issue per se.

Ex Military kit from wherever is durable, and low cost.

Someone posts on a forum or takes something along to a meet or it’s on TV and it becomes a ‘fashionable’ bit of kit.

I look at it as a free world and if someone wants to have canvas straps cutting off the blood supply in their arms or they want to sew a ½ hundredweight of Leather to their Bergen then let them crack on.

They’re not hurting anyone.

TBH if I want the latest skinny on a pack to 'thru' hike the AT or which back system is the most tecnologically advanced. BCUK would likely not be my first stopping point.

I sack hauled a Berghaus 'Rock Star' up heaps of routes at Baggy the Culm Coast, Lundy, West Penwith, the Lakes, North Wales etc etc... It was in pretty good nick when I sold it on so I could trade up to a Karrimor Alpiniste to head to the Alps with and it was no where near as well constructed as say a Sabre 45..

Live and let live...

Last edited:

forestwalker

Why do bushcrafters feel the need to search out the oldest, heaviest, most obsolete equipment they can buy, and then in some cases make it even heavier? The only rucsac that I've came close to destroying was an old climbing pack that I bought second hand, and used to haul up crags behind me if I couldn't climb the pitch wearing it, and when I replaced it, it wasn't because it was knackered, it was because I fancied a new rucsac.

Why I want to test the LK70? No zippers. Zippers have died on me far too many times. Partly my own fault, I do not maintain them as well as I should, but they are a vulnerable point. Side pockets that turn unto useless flaps of fabric, bottom section of packs that I would have to cut open, or sew shut. I used the Fjällräven Nepal (50 L, never could afford the 70 L Trader) for years but gave it up for various reasons. I agree that the shoulder straps and waistbelt were less than glorious, but I could trust the pack to Just Work. And since zippered side pockets and bottom compartments are "in" these days there is no escape.

Other things the same, and price. I could pay over UKP100 for a pair of wool pants, or 1/6 of that for M58, that are about as good but almost a decade older than me. Why wool? Because when it is cold and wet and I sit by the fire I know that the wool will work. The new, modern stuff? I simply don't trust it, because I've seen it fail.

snozz

Dec 9, 2009
Otley
Old post, but I went out with my new (to me!) LK70 this weekend testing it on Whernside.

We did the route up from Ribblehead, over Whernside and back down to Ribblehead - about 7 1/2 miles

I got the LK70 after looking for an external frame pack - I'd previously had 3 other packs - a Vulcan, which fit perfectly but was heavy, a Mountain Hardware pack that was very well designed, but had a Large back length (which I did not notice at the time) and finally an OMM pack that didn't feel comfortable on my shoulders.

First impressions, a massive pack with good size pockets - I managed to get 2 x 2 litre bottles in each side pocket and a water filter and FAC in the front pocket - I was testing weight in the pack as we are walking the Dales Way in a couple of weeks.

I had all the food, extra water and items for 4 of us on the walk, and the pack felt very comfortable. I did not notice the frame aspect to it at all - everything just felt secure, well balanced and most importantly, shoulders and hips felt fine.

For £25 it is a bombproof, comfortable, expandable pack that totally fits my bill.

Some people in this thread have asked why people go retro for heavier, less modern equipment. My answer to this is that i've tested modern packs and they don't fit my shape / back / shoulders as well as this does. Maybe there is a pack out there that will be perfect, but for now, for the money, this works.

APDC1219 (Small).jpgAPDC1222 (Small).JPGAPDC1224 (Small).jpgAPDC1229 (Small).jpgAPDC1231 (Small).jpgAPDC1233 (Small).jpgAPDC1237 (Small).jpgAPDC1238 (Small).jpgAPDC1239 (Small).jpgAPDC1243 (Small).jpgAPDC1244 (Small).jpg

Ivanhoe

Forager
Aug 28, 2011
Sweden
Good post snozz! :)

Nice to see one of them outdoors, enjoying the day, just as
you did!

- - -

See if you can't find some pics jimbo75!
Bad LK-70's sounds weird...

:rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE