Swedish Barrel Knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bradleybuckman

Forager
Jun 25, 2010
Kentucky, USA
I recently acquired this knife on ebay, and was wondering if anyone knew much about them. I had never seen or heard of them prior to buying this. It has JOH ENGSTROM ESKILSTUNA SWEDEN stamped on one side and has an arrow with JE 1874 on the other. I'm unsure if that's the date of manufacture or if that's a patent date and the knife was produced later. Either way, it's in pretty good condition considering how old it is, and the only thing I really see wrong is that the base plate on the knife is slightly bent. Are these still made or are they obsolete?

IMG_0348.jpg

IMG_0349.jpg

IMG_0350.jpg

IMG_0353.jpg

IMG_0354.jpg

Here is where the base plate is bent slightly.

IMG_0355.jpg

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
That's a lovely thing - I'd be very pleased indeed to stumble upon one of these, you must be very pleased with that find....................atb mac

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
It may also be worth asking this question over on "British blades" as there is a whole wealth of historical knife info there

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Very nice, I've been on the lookout for one for ages. Nobody seems to want to sell them which is understandable.

Some interesting reading here ..

http://reviews.ebay.com/SWEDISH-BARREL-KNIVES_W0QQugidZ10000000002557777

http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/knife_forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=23257

Lovely bit of timber on that handle

Thanks for that- interesting reading. I was given one by my uncle when I was a child, and promply lost the knife insert somewhere in my grandfather's garden. About 50 years later I found one in a Saffron Walden antique/junk shop and bought it for a song out of sentiment. I had no idea at the time that they were of interest to collectors: neither had the shop keeper!

You're right, I wouldn't part with mine although it sits in a drawer all the time whils my SAK and Mora do all the work.

bradleybuckman

Forager
Jun 25, 2010
Kentucky, USA
Thanks for the links! I'll have to check them out and educate myself a little more on them. Yes, they do seem hard to find. I looked around on ebay a little after I found this one, and there doesn't seem to be many out there for sale. Plus, this cost a little more than what I wanted to pay, but you only live once I guess.

Very nice, I've been on the lookout for one for ages. Nobody seems to want to sell them which is understandable.

Some interesting reading here ..

http://reviews.ebay.com/SWEDISH-BARREL-KNIVES_W0QQugidZ10000000002557777

http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/knife_forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=23257

Lovely bit of timber on that handle

Thanks, I might have a check over there and see who has them there and what info that they may have.

It may also be worth asking this question over on "British blades" as there is a whole wealth of historical knife info there

I've done the same thing with several knives that I was given by my father and grandfather when I was young, and really regret being so careless now. I think I'll probably hold on to this one, and it will likely reside in a drawer with some of my other knives. I was considering sharpening it, and polishing up the metal parts, but I think I'll just oil it up a little and leave it as it is.

Thanks for that- interesting reading. I was given one by my uncle when I was a child, and promply lost the knife insert somewhere in my grandfather's garden. About 50 years later I found one in a Saffron Walden antique/junk shop and bought it for a song out of sentiment. I had no idea at the time that they were of interest to collectors: neither had the shop keeper!

You're right, I wouldn't part with mine although it sits in a drawer all the time whils my SAK and Mora do all the work.

bradleybuckman

Forager
Jun 25, 2010
Kentucky, USA
Thank you for the link. As of right now, I'm probably not going to use it. I had thought of polishing and sharpening it up, but I think I'm going to leave it be for now. I may look around a little and see if I can run across another one in similar shape for a decent price and use it.

I have one and I love it.

Look HERE for some info.

Do you intend to use yours? It looks a nice example btw.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE