Swedish Army Trangia advise needed

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
I used mine for the first time last night and luckily I put the burner inside two doubled up zip lock bags as there was a puddle of meths in the bag, is it common practise NOT to store fuel in the burner or is mine just leaking??? I made sure to keep the whole thing upright as well.....

Salaud

Nomad
Aug 24, 2011
isle of man
I always store mine inside without any problems, so, would say you need a new seal, ebay has them.
Make sure you tighten the lid well as I have found they like to leak if you give em half an excuse.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Make sure you get the o ring for the army burner as it is larger than the proper trangia o ring, also check the actual burner for cracks, unlikely but it does happen

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I would fill it up to the top and put it on a dry bit of paper, if it is leaking it will soon be evident.

The o rings are rubber so will over time perish regardless of use.

leon-1

I used mine for the first time last night and luckily I put the burner inside two doubled up zip lock bags as there was a puddle of meths in the bag, is it common practise NOT to store fuel in the burner or is mine just leaking??? I made sure to keep the whole thing upright as well.....

It's not uncommon for this to happen, I bought 2 a few years ago and both leaked straight out of the box so to speak. I barely ever use mine now, but that's because I either use a click stand with a civilian burner or a catcan stove.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
worthwhile occasionally treating the O-ring to a bit of lip-salve or other lubricating stuff. Helps stop the rubber from perishing.

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
Ok so I have lip salved the O ring !! And stood the burner on
paper and so far no leaks, I've even tried shaking it a bit and turning it upside down so fingers crossed it's all good...thanks for the tips everyone.

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
I've had that happen a couple of times, even with a new Tatonka burner. I solved the problem with some two part metal glue from B&Q.
I've seen it said that you shouldn't keep fuel in the burners but that always seemed daft to me.

Sent from my phone, please excuse typos!

Last edited:

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
That would make sense as it seems to be a rolled press/crimped fit. Ok I will see if it leaks anymore that could be the next step!!

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
Ta. I've seen others with them at a recent meet I went to (Norfolk) and saw how easy they were to use and have found it really versatile..

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
The SAT is a classic "Marmite" stove - some love em, some (no names eh Rik!) hate them. I'm in the former class. Sure they're not the fastest stove in the world, but incredibly versatile - billy for hanging over open fires, dutch oven (heat below and some coals in the upturned lid on top for baking), frying pan/lid/cup, you can use the windshield as a wood stove - the list is endless.

Some seem to want the stainless steel pan version, but personally I prefer the cheaper ally one. The pan spreads the heat more evenly, and it's a bit lighter too. As the ally one is also pretty much indestructible in its own right, why pay the extra for the SS one?

One thing it doesn't have is a simmer cap, like the civvy burner. However, the tatonka simmer ring fits nicely, and the civvy version simmer ring will work, although not particularly elegant as it doesn't fit as well (the civvy burner is narrower). You can always bodge one up from a can lid, or an aluminium pie tin that you get with cakes etc.

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
Make a simmer cap, cut the bottom off a coke can and pop a couple of holes in it, job done!

i never store fuel in the burner in the cooker for transport only in the fuel bottle, because they often leak.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE