Swedish Army Mess Kit - cooking techniques

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Hello all,

I’ve been off the site for a while, due to competing pressures and the love of my motorbike, but I saw these two videos and thought they might be of interest. I’ve been watching this guy’s films for a long time, as his dehydrator recipes work really well, and if you’ve not tried it dehydrating meals or their components, is loads of fun, but if I’d seen these Swedish Army Mess Kit cooking techniques earlier, I might not have sold mine...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZ9PYa-ArjY&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWYffpOGAMg&feature=plcp

Andy

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Mr Babelfish does some great vids on making your own dehydrated meals too, worth a look but you need to substitute a lot of the ingredients

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
It shows what a really bad design/shape those pots are, awful really, still at least it cooked quicker his way than with the provided alcohol burner.

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
id like to know why theyre so bad too,...

i loved mine , then i carbonised some lamb into it,..and it spent a year on the lawn,

the rain washed it,...the snails ate the burnt lamb residue and after a bit of a wash theyre back in use,....

why are they so evil!????

did you know that its not a proper trangia,..i know everything about stoves,..and this is a Swedish army mess kit,.......can everyone STOP calling it a Swedish Army Trangia immediatley ,..you're all wrong,..

if anyone wants it they can have it for free,..just PM me........

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
What's wrong with them, Rik? I think they're pretty good for the money

Heavy, awkward shape, poor windshield compared to real Trangias, slow burner, fuel hungry et al. I've got an Aluminium and a SS in my collection somewhere but they'll never be used again. I loved the idea of them, waited in great anticipation for my first one to arrive years ago then used it.......boo hooo; I felt so let down. OK over a fire I suppose, just not for me.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Heavy, awkward shape, poor windshield compared to real Trangias, slow burner, fuel hungry et al. I've got an Aluminium and a SS in my collection somewhere but they'll never be used again. I loved the idea of them, waited in great anticipation for my first one to arrive years ago then used it.......boo hooo; I felt so let down. OK over a fire I suppose, just not for me.

I don't think I've ever used mine on the supplied meths burner but as a sturdy billy can they're pretty good - decent capacity and not much bulkier than an Osprey water bottle or similar. I agree they're not the lightest of things but I've got my flimsy Asaklit set if I need to carry it any distance

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
If you like the shape, get yourself similar but with more space
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/British-A...Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item337c78aec7

Those have been in use for well over 100 years by the army, designed to be lined up the side of a long fire for large group cooking. Make a good Dutch oven too.

Just bought three of these for Scouts...hadn't considered using them as DO's tho until now.

In fact it was the same seller too...fast delivery and a couple of packs of Haribo in the parcel. First rate service.

simon

Last edited:

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
If you like the shape, get yourself similar but with more space

Bit big for even my rucksack!

I like the tall nature of the Swedish set - makes cooking boil-in-the-bag meals very convenient. For the price there's not much out there that's better

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
Bit big for even my rucksack!

I like the tall nature of the Swedish set - makes cooking boil-in-the-bag meals very convenient. For the price there's not much out there that's better

The hight is what I like when using it as a bucket, I can get 10 razor clams in there without worrying they can push them selfs out and when bait collecting it won't take up much space in my bag along with the folding spade an bait bucket.

dp0001

Forager
Apr 27, 2007
London
As already said below, while unstable and needing care, the height allows for most boil-in-the-bags - I have a boil in the bag and use the water for tea, a very efficient use of fuel.

If you knock up a coke can stove, it catches much quicker than the slower but bombproof Svea burner.

Also consider the German/Austrian/Russian messkit which is like the Swedish one but kidney-shaped with an extra pot.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE