Swedish army 1L fuel bottles

Mike8472

Jul 28, 2009
west yorkshire
I've just bought myself a few of these for primarily parafin and meths, but was wondering are these suitable for aspen 4t petrol?

I've tried a google search but not found anything of any use!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 8

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
I don't know the answer to your question Mike, but could I ask where you got the bottles from? Thanks

Mike8472

Jul 28, 2009
west yorkshire
Military mart; I'd been looking for some for ages scouring the internet. I eventually found them at military mart last week.
i was just wondering about their suitability for petrol as they are made of thick plastic.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I would have thought they'd be fine, I'll check my plastic Aspen 4T bottle when I get home and see if there's any clues on it.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
They might be OK by not being attacked by the fuel, but my experience is that any plastic container which is used to store volatile hydrocarbon fuels like 4T, white gas or petrol will breathe out fuel vapour, especially in warmer months. This includes the plastic containers in which 4T itself is sold. Think in terms of losing several grammes per month from a 5 litre container depending on the temperature. It might not be a problem if the ventilation is good but it does waste fuel. Best to get a steel container for 4T.

The aluminium containers sold for holding drinks can be used to store hydrocarbon fuels if you change the stopper for one which is fuel-proof. The usual stoppers aren't, they swell and the threads are quickly destroyed when used for hydrocarbon fuels. They're OK for alcohols but aluminium can corrode quickly when used to store acohols. It's the moisture content that matters, alcohol fuels can contain large amounts of water. I've been unable to see any loss of fuel in properly stoppered metallic containers using an accurate electronic balance and several months between weighings.

Incidentally the UK has strict legislation about fuel storage. If you're thinking of more than a few litres you should check up on that.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE