sweden trip

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
Abbe Osram said:
pictures would be even better! :)
// Abbe
Don't worry mate, there will be plenty of reviews coming up. :) I don't know about the other people on the trip, but I'm having troucle re-adjusting to town life and things like computers !!!
By the way Abbe, you live in the most beautiful, serene and spiritual country I've ever been to. :D

Martin

P.s. Welcome to the Forum Charlie B.c. It's a pleasure to know you and BTW, your namesake made it back to the UK in my hand luggage. She gave customs a shock when they x-rayed my luggage and saw her looking back at them :eek: ;)

Kim

Nomad
Sep 6, 2004
Birmingham
Hey Charlie BC! It was a pleasure spending a week in your company, and I'm glad you've made it to cyberspace so quickly. :D

Sweden was a bit of a revelation really. I did many things I hadn't ever done before, including canoeing, eating elk, sitting in a sweat lodge and then running into the clear and very cold water of the magnificent lake we were camped next to, I chopped down a tree, built a group shelter, feasted on pike cooked in the earth with hot rocks, and learnt a great deal more about myself than I ever expected to. Thanks to all who were there for being brilliant, making me laugh and teaching me a little more about trust and communication.

Preben, the man who runs the site and does all kinds of outdoors/survival courses was simply extraordinary and inspirational. A man of 72 who, when he walks into a room, you automatically listen to and respect what he has to say, that plus a mischevious sense of humour made him one of a kind.

The swedish landscape is breathtaking and a part of me is still sitting on the rock, listening to the sounds of the water. I think a little of each of us is still there.

Thank you to Gary, Jon-Paul and Johan for making everybody laugh and helping to make it a week none of us will forget.

Kimberly.

martin

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
nth lincs
DSCI0044.jpg

Hi mate did you get home without any problems, we go delayed at the airport for just over one and a half hours. I didn't get home until 3.30am.
DSCI0001.jpg

Sweden is the most beautiful place in the world
DSCI0002.jpg

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Sounds like you all had a wonderful trip then. :)

I'm jealous, but not for long. :D :D Going there for the 4'th time on the 26'th, that's only 6 days away. :cool:

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
It was a top top top trip.... one of the best I've ever been on and such good company....

I strongly recommend next years course to anyone here :D

Good to see you onboard here Charlie BC....brought a smile to my monday morning face ;)

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
Thanks a million to all of the people I spent the week with....giving and sharing seems to be a major part of the bushcraft community, exemplified by this experience.

Kim's bang on target about Preben..."Don't try to cover your inexperience with nice equipment - you must practice" was just one of his maxims. Then when he tripped and fell (..was it REALLY a trip..?) while walking us around the forest, and we saw him execute a perfect parachute roll and spring to his feet before you could shout "Look out" (72 years old !!) you knew you were in the presence of an exceptional person. After the peace and harmony of the outdoor experience even the happy things about daily life feels like rattling around in a war zone at the moment - I'll keep on trying to adjust....

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
I got a few Piccy's to put up too.....

Sweden047.jpg

Sweden035.jpg

Sweden028.jpg

Sweden022.jpg

Sweden044.jpg

Sweden048.jpg

Sweden050.jpg

I really can't say enough about how good this course is....think there's going to be a rush on for next years trip!!!!

You can see the rest of my photos on photobucket here:

Vilkmark Trip

Hope you enjoy them....

Bam.

EDIT: I've got a cracking video clip of exactly how NOT to use your Alan Wood Woodlore knife (unless you're in "viking country" that is) too but am not sure how to post it up here....

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
Excellent piccies Phil :) I'm glad people managed to take a few as my camera was knackered :(

Oh, and in case people are wondering why PW is smiling in the bottom picture, look through the other piccies and you'll see what he's wearing underneath :eek:
Phil, JP is going to kill you !!!

Martin

stoddy

Need to contact Admin...
May 4, 2005
dorset
the chap in the last piccy with the folding cup?

he must be an officer :D as they are the only people who use folding cups :D

sorry to insult you :D

Sweden is a beautiful country, and you guys are all smiling, so it must have been a brilliant week!!

ps

I bet Ray Mears hasn't got those undies for sale!!! :D

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
odin13 said:
wow, looks like you had an amazing time. What was the course?
cheers
alex
It was the Vildmark course organised by Bearclaw bushcraft andNordic bushcraft to get people trained in Swedish bushcraft. The instructor they got for the course was a chap by the name of Preben Mortenson. He is a man that knows his stuff. 72 years old and still able to do a para roll when needed. He also managed to stop a bounding deer in perfect profile with a simple whistle, aim an imaginary riflle, take the shot and then send the deer on it's way with a clap of the hands. This is a man that has lived the bushcraft life all of his life. He has so much to teach.
I highly recommend it. There are proper reviews in the pipeline, but i'm having trouble doing the course justice !!

Martin

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
shinobi said:
Excellent piccies Phil :) Oh, and in case people are wondering why PW is smiling in the bottom picture, look through the other piccies and you'll see what he's wearing underneath :eek:
Phil, JP is going to kill you !!!

Oh heck, I forgot about that one....I'd better nip it off the site until I've checked that he doesn't mind.....lol :eek: and as they say "better red than dead"... ;)

EDIT: There, it's gone....sorry PW, your few minutes of chippendale fame are over lol :D

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
I knew I was going to be jealous, but not this jealous :D

Sounds a superb course and you had some top guys there. Just got to start saving... :)

whitebuffalo

Banned
Oct 28, 2004
Cornwall
It does sound like you all had a very good time.

Sweden is a wonderful, clean and friendly country which I have visited several times over the years and having read such paise for the course already I rang Gary this morning to book myself on for next year.

Firstly, sorry to Gary for distrubing you (he only got home last night and was unpacking but still willing to spend sometime discussing the course) and secondly I thought I'd point out that Gary told me he already has the course for 2006 over half full already and advised me to email him with my details and he would send out the booking form and packing list.

First course I will have done in many years and I am already looking forward to it.

I await the pending reviews people have promised with baited breath.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE