Swazi Tahr Anorak

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Oct 16, 2003
Surrey
Does anyone have any experience with this item of clothing? I am interested in getting a new goretex and was wondering if these are ideal for bushcraft. I know you can get a standard green goretex cheaper, but they rustle a lot. I am also aware that Uncle Ray used one in his last series, but have not heard them mentioned since.

I think the forestry commission use them, which must be a positive reference.

Any and all thoughts welcome.

Cheers,

Andrew

Oct 16, 2003
Surrey
Thanks for the links. It certainly seems to be what I am looking for and Tamarack have them for £230, which may make some people fall over at the price, but I've paid more for mountaineering Goretex jackets.

I do, however, feel that I'll be leaving myself open to monk jokes from the uninitiated!

Scally

C.E.S.L Notts explorers
Oct 10, 2004
uk but want to emigrate to NZ
haveing just got back from NZ i looked all over both islands and tamarack are cheaper over here and what pains me the most is that at belvoir castle the other month they had a deal at 40 pound off i thought i could get one cheaper in NZ hummmmmm wrong again. but they are a lovely jacket but i find them a bit tight on size could be me though.

nzgunnie

Tenderfoot
Sep 11, 2005
New Zealand
We have to pay 12.5% GST on them here, you could try ordering one direct from Swazi - depends on the postage whether it works out cheaper for you, not sure how much they'd charge to ship one to the UK. Depends too on what your customs rules are like. Maybe worth a look?

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Gore-tex, as useful and insanely waterproof that it is, if you puncture it with a twig, knife, thistle, etc... it will leak like a sieve. You CAN purchase gore-tex repair kits online, and 3ply membranes are much tougher than 2ply, but compared to wool, cotton, or leather, it's not very tough.

It depends on the use, I'd say. If you're just using it as a waterproof shell, fine. But if you're going to running around in the bush, chances are it'll rip, tear, or shred, and lose it's effectiveness.

Also, once the DWR wears off, it's not very breathable. And in below freezing temperatures, the pores in the PTFE membrane close up, and prevent moisture dissapation. For that reason, the British Antarctic Survery Team endorses Ventile for it's cold weather clothing.

On the plus side, it's insanely waterproof, and you'll never get wet as long as you properly layer yourself.

Cheers,

A.

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
I have the wapiti coat Andy its a quality garment, im a fussy sod when it comes to quality and the Swazi workmanship on my one is perfect, if you have the cash to spend and are looking for a GTX jacket you wont be dissapointed.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Damn straight, GTX is good.

I've got an Entrant GII-XT (biggest competitor for Gore) short length jacket that was my principle rain jacket, until I was given a Ventile jacket last March for my 20th b-day. I use both, depending on the weather.

Ventile, when it's moderately rainy (it keeps my dry for 3-4 hours in the rain, but excels in high wind, and very cold)

Entrant or my previous Gore-Tex jacket when the heavens open up on me.

If I have any complaints about the above garments:

Ventile: Well, none actually, it still works as good today as the day it was built. But, the seams on the hood and shoulder are facing upwards, which usually let in about a dollar-coin sized moisture spot of moisture after about 3 hours in heavy rain. Modern ones have the seams in other places. **The Ventile parka's old, so I'll do my best to get some digital photo's taken of it, and post it here. It should bring back memories for all you oldER folks**

Entrant/Gore-Tex: All microporous fabrics are 100% completely reliant on the DWR. Once the DWR wears off, say, after 9 or 10 hours in HEAVY rain and the outer nylon face "wets out" the membrane stop's breathing. As it's bonded to the outer face, when it wets out, the layer of water doesn't allow moisture dissapation. (But, it doesn't allow leakage) So, as long as you're not sweating too much, you'll still stay dry, but....you'll get cold.

It took me a long time to realize this: There is no perfect gear. I still remember my Dad quoting these words "Adam, when the weather's like this, it's inevitable that you'll get wet. The name of the game when you're out here is to not get as wet as everbody else." I think that follows along the same lines as the brilliant SAS line "Never be the first one to fall."

My Dad's quote was coming from two years ago on an autumn hike, and one of the people became very hypothermic due to the weather. He didn't die, we got him out okay, but it was a lesson for me.

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed my morning rant on raingear. :D

Be Well,

Adam.

Meaghaidh

Aug 10, 2005
Peak District
Hi guys,

I can not argue against any of what has already been said, but would like to add the following.

I have used most of the fabrics available both at work and play. I am pretty destructive on kit, and from this experience I would suggest that looking at Paramo gear should be on your list of things to do.

Although the outer shell looks flimsy it is quite robust, but it is not this bit that keeps you dry, it is the liner inside. The jackets are heavier than 3 ply goretex, but they are more comfortable, and you will wear less layers. They are extremely easy to reproof. Washer and tumble drier, or bucket and a line.

I have used both my jacket and saloppets for 6 years now and I still wear it in the mountains when its bad weather. As an example, a top of the range patagonia waterproof at around £300+ lasts me about 20 work days in winter before it needs replacing.

I would like to try one of the Kiwi jkts purely because of its addaptibility for use both canoeing and land work. But they look a little costly when they are in goretex which in my experience will not last.

Paul B.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE