Swanndri Mosgiel Zip Front Bushshirt

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Just got one of these in the mail from Andrew at http://www.outdoorcode.com/. Have to say the service was excellent!

I was pretty surprised at the length of this coat. :eek: It's gonna take some adjusting on my part. I tried several long waterproof parkas over the top but the tails stick out at the bottom. The appearance not only looks goofy, the water would run off soaking the bottom of the coat.

After thinking a bit on this, it seems the best solution for rain protection is a poncho. I have several, from silnylon to ripstop nylon to heavy military. I'm thinking any one of these will work well with this coat.

But I'm open to suggestions. This looks like the perfect coat for fall hunting when the frost has hit and there's a definite chill in the air. I often carry a silnylon poncho in my gamebag. Should go well with this, eh?

Absolutely. I got one of these recently and I'm really happy with it. I appreciate the extra length as I'm 6'2" with most of my height being in my torso so the extra length covers my bum and keeps it nice and warm :D I was up on a roof today trying to fix a leak and I had my Swanni on under some coveralls and I was warm as toast, even in the wind. I would have said that either a poncho or a longer water proof would work really well. I have a German ex-army water proof which is long and covers the swanni nicely. All I have to do now is work out how to stop rain pooling in the hood of the water proof as I prefer to wear a hat :rolleyes:

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I can see where long military raincoats would work but they are a bit more than I want to carry into the woods. I'm wondering though about a cagoule? This one looks interesting: Cagoule

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
If you need too have a waterproof as well, how about wearing a light gortex paclite or similar underneath the swanni, but I should imagine this will be very warm, if not too warm......... I have just ordered an original bushshirt and plan on having this as an outer all the time as the wool will still keep you warm when wet. I work out doors and find that if you wear a rain absorbing jacket like a fleece, you still keep dry for a while, but when it gets too wet I just put on another jacket etc. I know when in the wilds this is not practical, but when you have your motor nearby it works a treat. Putting on a watertight jacket (even gortex xcr) makes the water run off your back and down your legs, so you put on the waterproof trousers and then it either stops raining of you get too hot and the condensation makes you just as wet, because even the xcr cannot pump out the sweat quick enough. What is the best system????????????
Just realised I am digressing a bit..........Sorry.......................Jon

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Hoodoo said:
(...) I have several, (...)

I think it most be just like being a kid in a sweetshop walking around at your place :naughty: All those knives ... gear ... :D :lmao:

Might be daft: those cagoule thingies ... won't they restrict you in your movement whilst hunting? Isn't it possible to Nikwax (in some way) your Swanni? IIRC Tony did a review (see review section) and mentioned something about Nikwax.

Just a thought!

Edit: here's a link: http://www.bushcraftuk.com/content/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=26

The Joker

Native
Sep 28, 2005
Surrey, Sussex uk
Jon Pickett said:
If you need too have a waterproof as well, how about wearing a light gortex paclite or similar underneath the swanni, but I should imagine this will be very warm, if not too warm......... I have just ordered an original bushshirt and plan on having this as an outer all the time as the wool will still keep you warm when wet. I work out doors and find that if you wear a rain absorbing jacket like a fleece, you still keep dry for a while, but when it gets too wet I just put on another jacket etc. I know when in the wilds this is not practical, but when you have your motor nearby it works a treat. Putting on a watertight jacket (even gortex xcr) makes the water run off your back and down your legs, so you put on the waterproof trousers and then it either stops raining of you get too hot and the condensation makes you just as wet, because even the xcr cannot pump out the sweat quick enough. What is the best system????????????
Just realised I am digressing a bit..........Sorry.......................Jon

The other problem is, when your working or hiking, I find I get just as wet through perspiration from wearing some kind of waterproof as if I didn't have one on.
I find no matter what material it is I over heat in them :(

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
clipper said:
The other problem is, when your working or hiking, I find I get just as wet through perspiration from wearing some kind of waterproof as if I didn't have one on.
I find no matter what material it is I over heat in them :(

Yeah..........They need to make a goretex xxxxxxxcr for us hot and sweaty builders.................Jon

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
I wear a sass smock (ventile like), over a swanni and I think it works a bit like the buffalo pertex and pilke stuff. Windproof and showerproof, yet quick drying outer layer over a warm one. Works for me :)
Mind you, you could also get a Buffalo mountain shirt I guess, but perhaps not as versatile and certainly not spark / fireproof. :eek:

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Ahjno said:
I think it most be just like being a kid in a sweetshop walking around at your place :naughty: All those knives ... gear ... :D :lmao:

Might be daft: those cagoule thingies ... won't they restrict you in your movement whilst hunting? Isn't it possible to Nikwax (in some way) your Swanni? IIRC Tony did a review (see review section) and mentioned something about Nikwax.

Just a thought!

Edit: here's a link: http://www.bushcraftuk.com/content/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=26

It is getting a little crowded here. :D

Really, my main concern is frog stranglers, the kind that soak you to the bone. I won't be doing much hunting then, just sitting and waiting for the storm to pass. Never tried the cagoule so I don't really know how restrictive it is but I actually think there's one headed my way... :naughty:

Have to look into the Nikwax.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE