Who still wears a Swanndri ranger shirt ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
How popular are these ranger shirts still. Had a couple over the years, now just have one left and I’ve probably worn it twice. Now prefer fleese top or a wool jumper.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
I just got one for Christmas. I think it’s gonna be a spring/autumn outdoor wear for me. Particularly for any kind of activity where there’s a lot of movement - synthetic fleeces make me sweat a lot in that kind of use.

Reactions: Brizzlebush

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I hate fleece - micro plastic producers par excellence! - I love wool ...
Wearing my Swanni right now -- and I often wear my Swanni clones made from blanket wool. I often team my Swanni with a wool pullover or woolen body warmer - cheaper than buying more oil or firewood!
I take a medium if you want to get rid of your last, unloved, Swanni :)

Reactions: Brizzlebush

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
I didn't find the wool very hard wearing. First it wore around the cuffs so I sewed on some leather protectors, then the hem started falling away so I sewed that up too. Ultimately both armpits wore through and one elbow at which point I decided to call it a day. It was 14 months old. Couldn't fault the comfort, however, and I have a new one which I just use for casual use at home.

Brizzlebush

Explorer
Feb 9, 2019
Bristol
I wear mine year-round.
One of my favourite garments ever.
Warm ish, shower proof, tough, very bramble proof and stands up well to sparks, I love the big pockets too.
My current one is over 2 years old and looks as good as new, despite the abuse I've given it.

I can't stand man-made fleeces. They make me feel all clammy. I go for wool in nearly everything on my torso.

It's perfect when working in the woods with a merino base-layer and nothing else at anything between 4 and 18°c.
My near perfect combo is my Buffalo Teclite (I know it's man- made fleece, but it's nice, weirdly) or a big wooly jumper, with my swannie over the top.
But hey, horses for courses.

Last edited:

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
I hate fleece - micro plastic producers par excellence! - I love wool ...
Wearing my Swanni right now -- and I often wear my Swanni clones made from blanket wool. I often team my Swanni with a wool pullover or woolen body warmer - cheaper than buying more oil or firewood!
I take a medium if you want to get rid of your last, unloved, Swanni :)
No chance keeping the last one and I do like wool either a jumper or an old jersey heavy wool. Just haven’t worn the shirt for a long while.

Reactions: John Fenna

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I have two of the Ranger with the windproof liner, I don't know if they do them anymore. One is new still in a bag and my blue one is a favourite aged about 12 - 13 years old and still going strong.

Feb 1, 2006
south east
I still wear my Ranger shirts regularly one is the wind proof liner. I brought a couple of the Boston Hoodies a few months ago in their half price sale and the tax was deducted. Very pleased with them.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I bought my Ranger in New Zealand and, sure enough, wore it endlessly to begin with. I then began to get annoyed with the 70s-style collar and the zip opening and went over to another, U.K.-based maker who manages to avoid those two little bugbears. I love the wool in both styles of garment but my Swannie is now pretty much retired. Maybe I'll get it out and tweak it so that those annoyances are a thing of the past.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I like the mod someone on here did and when I can find a sensible tailor up here I plan on getting the colour sorted.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE