Swanndri - Adverse reactions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Big Geordie

Nomad
Jul 17, 2005
Bonny Scotland
Hi all,
I'm about to buy a swannie from a pal but when I took it home to try it SWMBO had a VERY adverse reaction.
She had a rash on one arm within 10 minutes, her asthma started to worsen and we were thinking about going to hospital.
With anti histamines etc. things settled down. Has anyone heard of this before?
George :confused:

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
Only from one person who developed an eczema type problem. I always feel it's necessary to wear T -shirt or baselayer underneath as they are a bit itchy. Obviously a problem with sensitive skin but has SWMBO had a general problem with wool ? One for the doc I guess...

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
No I have hand no problems with my ranger shirt and i have never heard here of anyone have a problem they are 100% wool. I can only imagine that she is allergic to the wool or it has been contaminated from some other source. I'd ask your friend where it was stored and what with and maybe give it a good wash.

Thats all I can come up with. Hope your lady feels better.

James

Swampy Matt

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 19, 2004
Midlands
Its more likely to be a reaction to something ON the wool rather than the wool itself as an allergy to wool is extremely rare - it's like being allergic to your own hair, as chemically wool is almost identical to hair.
A lot of people find wool irritating to wear (itchy), but never heard of it causing a reaction like that before.

It might be a reaction to the waterproofing used on the shirt.

capacious

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 7, 2005
Swansea
Has anyone else noticed that this is in the Edged Tools section? Perhaps the swannie had lots of tiny little blades stabbing and cutting and maybe I've had WAY too much coffee....

Nod

Forager
Oct 10, 2003
Land of the Angles
Didn't have any reactions with mine. My daughter suffers from seasonal asthma and she actually likes to cuddle up to the Swannie as she likes the feel of it.

I think as others have said, there must be something on the wool, or it's been in contact with something else that set off the attack.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
'Oiled wool' containd wool fat, ie, Lanolin. Lanolin sensitivity is not that common but it does occur. Some emollients (eg E45) contain lanolin.

The other possiblity is that the swannie contained dust/hair from dogs/cat/horse or some other allergen

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
What are you doing letting SWMBO wear it!!!

Mind you you can find the positive here - at least she won't be asking to borrow it anymore ;)
(Hope she gets better BTW) :eek:

Mat

Forager
Nov 20, 2003
Hampshire
George,

I have a similar reaction whenever I wear mine. I suffer from mild asthma and eczema and my arms always itch like hell when I wear it. I find a long sleeved t-shirt underneath makes a big difference. Can't say my asthma is any worse though.

Mat

Mar 9, 2006
Kent
Been using a swannie for years now. Good bit of kit. Never washed it. Guess its one of those things you either get on with or don't.

Jjv110

Forager
May 22, 2005
Jersey C.I.
I haven't got a Swannie, I have a 100% wool coat bought brand new, and the collar creates a red bumpy rash on my neck. Wool often does this to me. I still wear it though but with some form of improvised lining.

A rash can occur sometimes due to the wahsing powder used, in any garment.

Also, if the Swannie has been kept in a dusty area, this may cause some problems for people with sensitive skin. Just give it a wash using nuetral washing powder or soap, not using any fabric conditoner or anything like that and it should be okay.

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Doc said:
'Oiled wool' containd wool fat, ie, Lanolin. Lanolin sensitivity is not that common but it does occur. Some emollients (eg E45) contain lanolin.

The other possiblity is that the swannie contained dust/hair from dogs/cat/horse or some other allergen

I was thinking this very same thing. My mother is very sensitive to lanolin and has to be very careful with many body creams that she purchases. She also has funny reactions to wool products, but only in hte rash sense rather than having problems breathing :confused:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE