Svord Peasant mini review (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Howdy folks!

These have had quite a bit of publicity over on BB, with (IIRC) over 300 bought by group buys :eek: Figured, though, that for the benefit of members who are not on BB, that I would post this here :D

Firstly, a little background.
Svord is a New Zealand knife brand, and the Svord Peasant is sorta like their Opinel - their cheap, functional knife, designed to cut things! No corkscrews, no toenail clippers, no flash drives and no flash lights, thank god! It is a friction folder, a timeless and worthy design, available in wood or plastic handles, the plastic being offered in a variety of colours. I got the wood version, predictably! The wood scales were rather rough (whadaya expect for under £15 delivered from the GB? :D) but a bit of a sand and some oil brought them up lovely!

The nice pics:
svord1.jpg

svord2.jpg

svord3.jpg

svord4.jpg

svord5.jpg

svord6.jpg

As you can see, the scales are held together by screws rather than pins - and, as you can see, the only thing stopping the blade going through the back of the handle is a pin that hits the tang. I wouldn't worry about that though :) I've seen nothing yet that would indicate that this pin will give.

The use of screws rather than pins is an excellent idea for friction folders, in my opinion! The tightness of the pivot screw is what dictates how freely the blade moves when neither the tang or blade is being held by the handle (when opening or closing, in other words) and the other screw makes the gap between the scales slightly smaller than the thickness of the blade and tang - which provides the friction that keeps the blade open or closed. A very clever, exceptionally functional and very adjustable design, I love it! The blade is always as snug or as slack as you want it to be. The only thing I would change here is screws with a slot wide enough to fit a penny/2p coin in.

Now for cutting!
For the record, this was paper-slicing sharp new, but I convexed the edge slightly with sandpaper and gave a strop earlier today. This is the sorta shavings it takes off:
svord7.jpg

A mighty whittler and no mistake! It positively glides through the wood.
svord8.jpg

One more cut took them off with ease.

svord9.jpg

svord10.jpg

Small curls are certainly not beyond this knife either! These took a spark from a firesteel:

svord11.jpg

A spark which the tang of the Svord can throw happily by the way ;) Meaning that the knife can be safely folded and sparks still easy to throw. It would do better if I'd bothered to square the spine a bit, but I haven't done so.

svord12.jpg

Quite a large knife! It's quite bulky and the blade is just a hair over 3", so it's not quite EDC, but taking off a quarter of an inch would do it just fine - if you drop the point by grinding down from the spine, you won't even have to resharpen. I intend to get a plastic one and do this.

svord13.jpg

The tang does stick out from the handle a bit, but in the hollow of the palm - I personally don't notice this at all in use, and I can be quite a fuss pot.

svord14.jpg

And it still slices paper mighty fine! Including shaving writing off paper ;)

In conclusion? Brilliant knife! If you're into living history, I think this would be great just because it's a quality knife, historically it won't look out of place and it's cheap - who can complain? But really, it's much more than a historically accurate gimmick. This is a knife that has learned from all the high-tech mistakes from knives that can do everything but cut well, and it has adopted a tried and tested design that has been used for centuries - then Svord improved it with the screws. Not only that, but it has employed very high quality steel and outstanding heat treatment to come up with a knife that is simply amazing, more so than I even considered hoping for. While a fixed blade will always surpass a folder in strength, sturdiness et cetera, this is the very first time I've seen a folder with HT and steel quality matching my fixed blades. While it's a bit large for Office EDC, this is ideal for a discreet outdoors knife IMO. And, it can be taken apart completely in a matter of seconds do clean out any blood, dirt, water etc to prolong the life of the blade, handle and for hygiene.

Since I'm gobsmacked at the value for money this knife provides, and I don't think I've ever delivered such a glowing review, I feel I should say that I am in no way connected to Svord or anyone who sells 'em! I am just a very happy camper, no pun intended!

Pete

welshwhit

Settler
Oct 12, 2005
Mid-Wales
I agree!

I've filed mine to more of a drop point and rounded off the point on the base of the handle and I'm well chuffed with it!

I'm just going to convex the edge later on and jobs a good 'un!

Drew

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Nice review and pics, yours looks great for a bit of oil and a sanding. I got one of these in the third group buy on BB to see what the fuss was about. Until I had it in my hand I didn't realise what special knife this is, it was like having an old friend come home, just very comfortable to be around. So I ordered another from GB4, followed by another two in GB5!!

I also ordered blue, pink and green because I was going to rehandle them so I wasn't bothered about colours, but I really like them. I drop pointed the blade on the blue one, but can't bring myself to chuck away the handles, especially the pink one!!

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Nice review and pics, yours looks great for a bit of oil and a sanding. I got one of these in the third group buy on BB to see what the fuss was about. Until I had it in my hand I didn't realise what special knife this is, it was like having an old friend come home, just very comfortable to be around. So I ordered another from GB4, followed by another two in GB5!!
I know what you mean :D It really is a special knife, possibly a bit like marmite but I love it to bits! Unlike marmite :p

I also ordered blue, pink and green because I was going to rehandle them so I wasn't bothered about colours, but I really like them. I drop pointed the blade on the blue one, but can't bring myself to chuck away the handles, especially the pink one!!

Pinks not very me :D But I will get a couple more. EDCing and pimping are called for!

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Howdy again folks!
Thought I'd show a small woodspirit I carved with the peasant, just to show that it can be used for finer work. It's not ideal for carving on a scale this small really, as the edge is convexed. The bit of wood is a bit over 3/4" in diameter.

woodsp.jpg

Personally I think it looks better in person, I took probably two dozen pics and couldn't get one I was happy with :banghead:

Pete

Reactions: Brizzlebush

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
Draven, nice knife & review. Nevertheless I've figured you out! You're trying to break the Guinnes world record in the discipline: how-to-utterly-destroy-a-guitar-whilst-making-buscraft-reviews :D Did you hate that guitar so much?

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Draven, nice knife & review. Nevertheless I've figured you out! You're trying to break the Guinnes world record in the discipline: how-to-utterly-destroy-a-guitar-whilst-making-buscraft-reviews :D Did you hate that guitar so much?

Ahh caught :p Yknow I actually really liked the guitar, but it needed much more work than it was worth and I just got sick of looking at it lying there :p

MertzMan

Settler
Apr 25, 2012
Cambs and Lincs
Stumbled upon this review from google no less. Thanks for posting this up. This is going on the kit list of things cheap enough to show swimbo, away from the other,expensive, secret list!

Will_

Nomad
Feb 21, 2013
Dorset
Quite a large knife! It's quite bulky and the blade is just a hair over 3", so it's not quite EDC, but taking off a quarter of an inch would do it just fine - if you drop the point by grinding down from the spine, you won't even have to resharpen. I intend to get a plastic one and do this.
Great review - thanks!
Heinnie state that the blade on the mini is 2.5 inches and that it's fine for EDC: http://www.heinnie.com/product.asp?P_ID=9631
I bought one from them, and I'm pretty sure mine is 2.5 inches. Have you got the larger one?

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
This is a really great review, thanks for posting. Looks like a really nice little knife too and I've always loved that design too.

Cheers

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
No need to hack off or grind the point,............the knife laws stipulate a blade with a cutting edge of under 3inches so all you have to do is smooth a bit of the blade near the handle with a file ( you don't often use that part of the blade anyway) & it is then, in theory, EDC legal.....

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE