Svea 123r

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Polecatsteve

Nomad
Aug 20, 2014
Scotland
Thinking of picking up one of these little stoves since using one last year.

Anyone got one and able to give opinions? I cook EVERYTHING with a trangia alcohol stove or a hobo stove so I have no experience with others.

Also can the svea 123 run on Meths?

Thanks.

Polecatsteve

Nomad
Aug 20, 2014
Scotland
They do seem to get great reviews. And running white gas isn't the worst. Iv got tons of panel wipe I can use. Just because Iv got loads of Meths thought I'd ask.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Pretty sure its white gas (or equivalent) only. I really like my 123 as it fits in lots of pots and is very compact, ideal for a zebra billy or small Mors Pot. The burn time isn't that long due to the size of the tank which I guess is the main drawback, but its no hardship to carry extra fuel separately . Quite a few cups can be used to replace the one you get with it which is a bit rubbish.

Polecatsteve

Nomad
Aug 20, 2014
Scotland
Okay I don't need much convincing. Ordered one tonight, I'll have a play with it and do a little field test next week.

Could this be the end of my trangia days. Hmm

pysen78

Forager
Oct 10, 2013
Stockholm
Very different creatures, in my mind. The Trangia is more of a portable kitchen. Stable, good in high winds, etc.

The 123 is almost as bombproof as the trangia, but has more power. In my experience, though, oftentimes that power will be countred by high winds, and boil times start to be comparable to the trangia.
The provided cup is fairly useless, but you'll soon find an alternative that suits you. I haven't yet used my 123 for serious camping, but it's well suited for daytrips and brew-ups.

Others will have used it for heavier tasks than that, and no doubt it can deliver if you have your wits about you.

The noise is another thing to consider. If you're sound oriented nature lover, the 123 may ruin it a bit for you. But nevermind, I advice you to get one and see for yourself. You won't regret it, even if it doesn't become your main camping stove.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The proper Trangia's are indeed a 'cookset' and if I had to pick just one stove from my collection it would be a Trangia.

Pot for the 123, my favorite is a stainless steel biscuit tin

Stores the stove well and holds about a litre

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I like that rik.

Must admit those old primus/optimus stoves have been catching my eye recently some reason.....i think its just the facf that they are very old but still genuinly usable and totally fit for purpose, even after another 100 years of stove development

Years ago I wrote a review about a Svea which was given to me:
http://www.oldjimbo.com/survival/svea.html

Probably the most telling part of the review:
"I guess that a little update is called for, even before we get started. I keep the stove in the back of my truck - inside the coffee can pot, and I found in the middle of last winter that the truck canopy had leaked, the can had filled with water and that the stove was frozen in a block of ice. I decided to leave it that way for a couple of months feeling sure that it would still work. The end result was that the stove was frozen for four months. Once I thawed it out, it started first time and has worked without a problem ever since. I just have to polish the brass again to make it look new. That must seem like a pretty stupid test - but the fact is that these stoves are touted as being the sturdiest and most dependable ever built. It appears that they deserve the reputation! The stove has also run flawlessly on 89 octane purple (boat) gas for a year now."

I treasure mine and look after it now because I mainly use camp fires - in order to get warm and to dry out in this wet place. When I do take out a stove in fire season or above timber line, I want it to work. While it might seem that modern designs would be more dependable and are lighter, they aren't totally dependable, and so who cares if they are lighter.
The obligatory link to classic stoves:
http://classiccampstoves.com/

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I boiled water for a brew on a 1922 primus stove in the shed. They are so easy to get up and running and last forever.

Yep, thats the stuff. Not just brewing up in the shed though eh. It would be perfectly feasable to take robert falcon scott's actual primus stove back to the south pole today and cook perfectly well

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
I was considering taking a 123 on my forthcoming winter trips to Canada, Finland and Norway, however I will probably stick with the MSR XGK or Primus Multifuel as there is always a change that airport security will confiscate the fuel tank. With the 123 that's a big problem, if the MSR/Primus fuel bottle gets knabbed it's a £15 inconvenience.

I was considering taking a 123 on my forthcoming winter trips to Canada, Finland and Norway, however I will probably stick with the MSR XGK or Primus Multifuel as there is always a change that airport security will confiscate the fuel tank. With the 123 that's a big problem, if the MSR/Primus fuel bottle gets knabbed it's a £15 inconvenience.

It's a good point with an integral fuel reservoir stove...

As a retired military pilot, my advice - if you really want to take the 123 is to remove the burner and wick from the fuel reservoir, thoroughly drain and dry out all components and then "double bag" them separately - that is one impermeable (polythene or the like) inside another and completely sealed with scotch tape. It's how we used to transport DAC (Dangerous Air Cargo - usually involving fossil fuels) back in my day.

I always think of the 123 as the forerunner of the XGK - a portable but heavy duty 'expedition class' stove. I have three - two 'R' versions and a mint original. They have yet to be bettered IMO - although the weight, my deteriorating knees and lighter technology means I don't carry them on my back anymore! I mainly use mine in the kitchen when I need thermo nuclear levels of heat for stir frying.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
"thermo nuclear levels of heat for stir frying"

lol, you need an Optimus 111 or even a Primus 5 for that, both pretty much double the heat output of the 123

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire

I took my 123 on an expedition to Greenland a couple of years ago, which involved a flight change in Copenhagen before going on to Kangalussuaq. On both the outward and return flights, the 123's attached fuel tank caused no problems at all; the fuel bottle I took along did, however - but that is another story! The main thing is to make sure that you have a complete burn of all the fuel in the tank and then leave it to air before you pack it into your luggage. Do that, and you should be OK.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
One thing with the 123 and 8 type stoves is that fuel is drawn up to the burner via a wick, if you let the stove run dry the wick, after a while will char and need replacing so make sure there is a little fuel left in the tank after use.

bikebum1975

Settler
Mar 2, 2009
Connecticut
I just got my first 123 a non R model. It's a neat little stove used it a few days ago for some lunch worked as well as my old Coleman peak ones. And to the question on using alcohol that's a big no. White gas only otherwise known as Coleman fuel. I've read some backpackers complain about them being heavy hell things are lighter than my peak ones. I was also told to don't fill them more than 3/4 way needs room for pressure. Ya still need some alcohol to prime the stove so your meths won't go to waste just sitting there

Polecatsteve

Nomad
Aug 20, 2014
Scotland
Had it a week or so and ran it on panel wipe which I believe is naptha? Runs perfect and at 10quid for 5l a damn sight cheaper than Coleman fuel. Doesn't roar nearly as loud as I thought it would. Very nice little compact stove that stores a nice amount of fuel inside it for a good couple of days use.

Pics will follow one day. Highly recommend it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE