Sussex Group meet in October

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Yes I am planning to be up there on Friday, probably around 6ish but that could vary. If you could sort out some firewood for the friday night that would be helpful. Neil1 may be up there as well. Most people tend to arrive mid morning on the Saturday. Pobably best to check in with the office when you get there to let them know you are on the site.

Re fire wood, I'll arrange for some if I'm there Friday which I'm sure I'll be.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I've never gutted/skinned a rabbit, what state will yours be in? Willing to learn but I'm squeamish

I can bring them along with their jackets on if you like?, they will all be paunched though, mind you i have to get a couple first :)

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
there was talk of a communual dinner on the Saturday night, is this still the case or would it be better to cook for oneself?

Food is one of those things which is trycky to plan for. In the past we have brought enough to feed ourselves for a couple of days & then the other campsites had 'farm shops' attached so a few us us would buy a couple of bags of ribs or whatever & feed mpost of the rest. We always wanted to do a communual meal but have not really done a meal to feed everyone in one go from a single pot. That said I have a big 8L Dutch oven so there is no reason why we can do a stew or roast a couple of deboned chickens on the camp fire. Let us kmow what you think & I am sure we can get a good feat togeather if we all chip in & communicate. A big pot of rice, potatoes in the fire etc.. let us know what you think.

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
What about making a large bannock or cake to share? I'll be bringing some walnuts (& possibly hazelnuts) we could shove in it?

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
Bread is something I want to have a go at baking this time in the dutch oven. I can do good bread at home so this will be a challange on a fire but is something I want to try. A communal stew may work if we all bring bits like rabbit, beef etc.. to put in. We can do a run to the shops Saturday afternoon. Breakfast is usually everyone bringing sausage & bacon, but basically bring enough to feed yourself for a cople of days, plus a bit of bread tea/coffes stuff. If you are vegetarian then that is fine as well. Each to their own but a big communal meal on a saturady is an idea I like & would want to encourage. Bannock is always good. If there are any cooks then bring us a treat along. It is all cooked over a fire or hot coals, usually on a grill over the fire.

Re fire wood, I'll arrange for some if I'm there Friday which I'm sure I'll be.

Firewood on Friday would be good, as I wil probably arrive an hour before dark & spend that time setting up camp. We will need some more on Saturaday for Saturday night, but half an hour of group effort normally sorts that out.

Forgot to say that brining a camp chair of some kind is a good idea, as we tend to spend a fair few hours sitting round the camp fire & logs get a bit hard after a while. Only a few days to go now so looking forward to this one.

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
im swinging mate, is the anyone going that can help me with a bow drill iv made fire once from one on a course but they were pre-made, i tried to make one but I dont think i was using the rite wood ;)

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
I'll be arriving sometime on the Saturday morning, and plan to sleep on the ground. Sounds like we can take a view on the Saturday afternoon about a communal meal, especially if the shops aren't too far away.

My plan for the weekend is to have a go at a try stick and practice feathersticks. Maybe a pot hanger too if I get a chance. I also fancy experimenting with baking a bannock in a billy can.

Cheers all

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Nearest shops are in Forest Row - think there's a Tesco Express. I'm aiming to be self contained as I might be getting dropped off

If there aren't enough suitable trees then I'll sling the bivi bag on the ground with the underquilt as a mat

SussexRob

Dec 26, 2010
East Grinstead
Hi guys,

Your quite right that the nearest shops are in Forest Row, a tesco express, co-op and butcher. There is also a small independent outdoor shop called Global Adventure.

I hope you have a great weekend, if you have any questions about the local area, PM me. Though many of you seem to have been there before anyway.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I think Kepis is the master - I'm keen to use a bow drill too

Not a master by any means, just have a bit of experience making and using them. I'll bring a few sets along so people can have a go, will also see if there are a few bits around so we can make a set or two from scratch, apart from that im happy to go with the flow of what people want to do, might do a bit of spoon carving myself though.

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
I plan to bring the family! SWMBO, an 11, 9 and 7 year old plus dog! I've just pulled my back today though breaking a branch of all the stupid things. I'm sure it'll be okay by Fri night.

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I plan to bring the family! SWMBO, an 11, 9 and 7 year old plus dog! I've just pulled my back today though breaking a branch of all the stupid things. I'm sure it'll be okay by Fri night.

Don't think dogs are allowed, otherwise I'd bring mine. I hurt my back today lifting gateposts but my family wouldn't come with me anyway...

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
This is the bit you missed in Neumo's post. To comply with the Forestry Commissions Laws and Natural England, cycles are NOT permitted on the site.
DOGS: NO pets of any description are allowed on site.

I do hope you can come, the more the merrier.

Sep 29, 2011
Worthing
Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum and should be meeting some of you at the weekend. Kepis invited my daughter and me along, so I had to order myself a tentipi safir 7 cp, which should be arriving tomorrow from Nordic Outdoors, who kindly gave me a forces discount (retired). If the weather is terrible, at least we will have a communalish space to sit around the fire.

Look forward to meeting you all :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE