Sussex Group meet in October

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
1 Neumo
2 Spandit
10 etc..

Shame about no dogs, though. Will we be staying in a bit with trees for the swingers amongst us? Will anyone be there who could help me sharpen my knife?

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
1 Neumo
2 Spandit
3 monkey boy
4 Neil1
5 Hugo
6 Dark Horse Dave
7 Kep + 1, possibly +4 and subect to work, still trying to reschedule stuff i had to do on the 8th.
10 etc..

DaveWL

Forager
Mar 13, 2011
Cheshire, UK
Sorry. Scheduled to be in Scotland for work that weekend.

And I'm off up to the lakes on the 1st and 2nd - two weekends away in a row would probably be a bit much for me to ask of a now heavily pregnant MrsDave even if one is for work....

I'll definitely make it to one of the winter ones though - the last meet was great and worth the effort :)

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
1 Neumo
2 Spandit
3 monkey boy
4 Neil1
5 Hugo
6 Dark Horse Dave
7 Kep + 1, possibly +4 and subect to work, still trying to reschedule stuff i had to do on the 8th.
8Peter_t
10 etc..

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Without wishing to sound a bit thick, what does one do on these meets? I'm looking forward to sleeping out in't'ammock but in the day time what goes on?

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Without wishing to sound a bit thick, what does one do on these meets? I'm looking forward to sleeping out in't'ammock but in the day time what goes on?

all sorts of things, sharing skills, ie carving, fire making ie bow drill, hand drill, flint & steel, tracking, plant id, basketry, camp fire cooking, wild foods, bit of mickey taking, in general though just having a good laugh meeting old friends and making new ones, if you just want to sit by the fire, drink tea and chill then do it, nobody will mind, likewise, pick up or practice some skills, everyone will have something to offer and everyone will learn something from you

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
im well looking forward to this, im like a child waiting for xmas lol
im gonna camp out tonite to warm up for it.
how often does sussex meets happen as i would be willing to do more of them? ;)

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
the plan was once a month, but it erm, kinda didnt happen for one reason or another, holidays, working etc, for the last couple of months, i think we are still aiming for a monthly meet up though?

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Weather due to be good but might get cold at night. Hope Lidl 4-season bag is warm enough (think with a bivi bag & underquilt it should be). I can always run to the car if needs be!

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
Nice one, thanks for doing all the work.

No problem setting this up, as it did ot take that long to sort out. As has been said we had a few of these through the spring & early summer then we stopped for a bit for a number of reasons (holidays, the Mood & Nova/Pink having to give up organising these etc..). I liked them so wanted to get them going again as I really enjoyed the earlier ones. If people are up for it then we can do 1 a month from now on, unless it gets really cold or we get lots of snow (which could be October from what some have said!).

Without wishing to sound a bit thick, what does one do on these meets?
We usually do the following sorts of things:
- set up camp & play with the kit we have bought
- Look at other peoples kit, new toys etc..
- Sit round the fire talking
- practice skills like lighting fires, that some cant do at home
- do lots of cooking over the fire
- Go on walks, learn tree id's etc.. anything you want to do within reason really. Ask and someone may well be able to show you stuff you want to know.

Weather due to be good but might get cold at night. Hope Lidl 4-season bag is warm enough (think with a bivi bag & underquilt it should be). I can always run to the car if needs be!

4 Season bag should be OK but there is only way you find out for sure & thats to spend a night out. A thick pair of socks & a hat are nice things to have a 4 in the morning if you wake up cold. Sleeping bag liners, a bivvy bag or an extra blanket will add a few degrees of warmth on a cold night but it depends on your kit. Meets like this give you the opportunity to look at other peoples stuff & ask people what works for them.

Last edited:

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Great stuff. Looking forward to meeting you all. Hoping to light a Swedish torch fire & maybe have another go at a fire bow. Is anyone bringing a sharpening kit? I'll bring some sloe gin...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE