Sussex Bushcraft group meet for SEPTEMBER: 28th to the 30th

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rich83

Sep 6, 2012
Selsey, West Sussex
Hiya I am not a member and only joined this forum about a week ago but could I come along? Hiking and bush craft is something that I have enjoyed for the last few years and I have now joined this forum to try and learn more and meet more like minded people.

Rich83

Sep 6, 2012
Selsey, West Sussex
lol tea and biscuits sure :) I should just turn up then?

Should I bring my comfy stuff like a tent and a kettle or my light weight stuff so I can carry it for miles?

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
You can drop stuff off at the pitch by car. Water is piped in so no need to carry as much ;)

It's a fiver a night, sleep in / under what you like. Plenty of trees to hang from and clearing to dwell on. Just add your name to the list.

A kettle is a good idea, especially if Hugo is going.

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Dear All,

Dunno whether or not I am working the Sat yet hence my pensiveness. Did we ever bottom out the kettle? Do you want me to buy a kettle and we can chip in when we see each other. Some of you can pay me at the same time you pay for the chute ;)

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Riich83, you are most welcome to attend.
On arriving at Broadstone call into the office and ask where BCUK members are, they should put you in the right direction.
And Go heavy, tent and all that entails comfort.

Rich83

Sep 6, 2012
Selsey, West Sussex
1 Hugo - on his ownsome
2 Simon H - possibly
3 Loenja yup, i can finally make another one
4 Kep - possibly
5 Phil - Newbie
6 Colin - Newbie Mk2
7 Peter_t
8 Rich83 (aka Rich) - Super Noob

I spoke to my wife and it turns out I am working on the Sunday so I can come and stay the Friday and hang out in the day for Saturday :)

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Be good to meet you, Rich. Bring plenty of warm stuff & sharp things. Most importantly, bring a chair and a sense of humour. Most of us know each other quite well so the banter flows quite freely which can be a little off putting for newcomers but we're a nice bunch on the whole!

Graywolf

Nomad
May 21, 2005
Whereever I lay my Hat
YES,Looks like I may be returning to the group,having not attended since last September,due to health problems.Running now at about 75%.Anemia has been cleared having been on iron tabs,The breathlessness is caused by a genetic condition called Alpha 1 Anti Trypsin Definciency which has caused me to have emphysema,this I was diagonosed with last month,and it now appears that I have chronic fatigue syndrome according to my gp last week,so that clears up why I have no energy,and why I am always feeling exhausted.
At least now the medical guys know what they are dealing with and I can improve.
So hopefully will be adding my name to the list later this month.

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Glad you are getting on the mend Graywolf mate, be good to see you at the meet again.
Fatigue! tell me about it, tis a right bu**er as I have it, apart from that things are good for me.

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
Be good to meet you, Rich. Bring plenty of warm stuff & sharp things. Most importantly, bring a chair and a sense of humour. Most of us know each other quite well so the banter flows quite freely which can be a little off putting for newcomers but we're a nice bunch on the whole!
...and don't worry about it too much when Spandit talks about how attractive his cousin was.

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
Did we ever bottom out the kettle?

I think we should get one of these 5 Litre 'Kirtley Kettles':
http://www.greenmanbushcraft.co.uk/o...le-5-litre.htm

Or maybe even the 7L one. They are a bit expensive but they are well made, so if we did another Group Buy again then it would only be a few quid each. Having a decent kettle on the go all the time is at the heart of a good camp, as you never know when you will need a good cup of tea.

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
Be good to see Graywolf back and hopefully on the road to good health again.

But it does take me back to a conversation Wildbill and I were having about our collective medical conditions and people being aware if anyone is taken ill. Now I'm not suggesting that we have to do manditory medical forms or have trained first aiders on hand. But I wouldn't want anyone to more unwell because we didn't know how to help them or who to contact.

So I think I'm going to make myself a medical card that I'll encapsulate and affix to my bergan just in case as I doubt many of you know I'm asthmatic or where I store my inhalers.

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
I have the blue card in my wallet Jack stating what meds I take and must have if in trouble.
You can ask at your pharmacist about carrying a blue card for emergencies, no charge for them.
Neumo about the big kettle, I have a round piece of cast iron that an ordinary kettle could sit on whilst on the camp fire, it's about ten inches across, when it heats up it should be good as there would be no burning of the kettle handle.
In my opinion a large kettle is not so good as it takes a long time to heat it up and it can be heavy for some people, also not many people actually have a hot drink together in one go, as RM has said in the past (less is more). my opinion only mind, as I have a billy can.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
DarkHorseDave's kettle was on permanent duty the first time he bought it - it's a 3.5L one. Far better than the Kirtley kettles, insomuch that it's stainless and whistles but they're like hen's teeth in this country

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Actually Robin I could have had two of the hens teeth over the weekend.
At my local boot market I could have had one identical to Dave's and one that was a dead ringer to the one Neumo wants, it was very old school, I did not buy them as I don't want to lug too much gear around, having a group buy for stuff can get to a point where a trailer is needed to cart it around, and storing it is another bugbear.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE