Sussex Bushcraft group meet for SEPTEMBER: 28th to the 30th

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Only if they weren't there the day before. I'll throw in the last flight out of Orlando before hurricane Hugo hit.

Similar to my flight out of Miami the day before Hurricane Andrew hit

Last edited:

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
Here's one for the group to think over. Paul Kirtley, chief instructor at Frontier bushcraft, popped by at the end of one of our meets to say hi. On reading his blog, it would seem he's done a couple of BCUK group days and i wondered if enough of the group would be interested in doing something similar http://frontierbushcraft.com/2012/05/16/rough-close-bushcraftuk-meet-paul-kirtley/

RICO and I have done a few courses with him, which we've both enjoyed and it seems Neumo is off to Canada with him too. Anyway, if people are interested, I'll see if we can't organise something.

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
Maybe. Depends on the content. e.g. I assume we would not be doing things like bow-drill and spoon carving since we do those all the time.

Here's one for the group to think over. Paul Kirtley, chief instructor at Frontier bushcraft, popped by at the end of one of our meets to say hi. On reading his blog, it would seem he's done a couple of BCUK group days and i wondered if enough of the group would be interested in doing something similar http://frontierbushcraft.com/2012/05/16/rough-close-bushcraftuk-meet-paul-kirtley/

RICO and I have done a few courses with him, which we've both enjoyed and it seems Neumo is off to Canada with him too. Anyway, if people are interested, I'll see if we can't organise something.

F7144

Tenderfoot
Oct 18, 2011
Kent
Depending when you wanted to do it, Neil and myself can do stuff with you for free. We should be able to make the meets from November, we may be able to do October it's hard to say at the moment. What did you have in mind? Simon spoke to us earlier in the year about doing a deer carcass, and group meal. Plus the other things you can use the remainder of the animal for.

Give us a shout if you are interested.

Luke
Greencraft

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
Cool guys. It would be good to learn more things. As much as I enjoy chatting round the fire, I would also love to learn more. Butchery is definitely something I would like to do.

Perhaps we should put a wish list together and see who could help out and when they are available. I think it would be nice if we kept things to a couple of hours tops as I wouldn't want to impose too much on such generous offers from you guys. And then I think it would be a nice gesture if we then catered for our instructors.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
1 Hugo - on his ownsome
2 Simon H - possibly
3 Loenja yup, i can finally make another one
4 Kep - possibly
5 Phil - Newbie
6 Colin - Newbie Mk2
7 Peter_t

should be along too:)

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
Yes, this is good & lines up with how I personally would like to see happen at our meets develop. While we have had many good meets where we sit round the fire drinking tea & chatting for most of the weekend I have been thinking that it would be good if we did more over the weekend. So some kind of events, like a tracking session at 10am or whatever would be good. Sort of like the skill sessions that you have at the Moot, Wilderness Gathering etc.. where one of us can arrange/teach a simplish skill like map reading to follow a bearing, following a deer trail for as far as we can etc.. I like the way this is going & if we can all have a think what we would like to do for the October meet (when us jet setters are back from Canada) then that would be good thing, I think.

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
With regard to inviting Paul for a Sussex meet, probably going to upset the apple cart but, in the past we have been offered free tuition from well respected people, people like Neil and his mate Lee, simon and his partner Iona also Mark.
These offers were sometimes taken up, I remember a great time with Neil and Lee making us all a venison stew, along with a tracking course tutorial around the fire under Neil's parachute, I personally had a great time that weekend, and on quite a few occasions doing fire by friction with Mark and also Neil, and following on behind Lee tracking deer, Mushroom and other fungi with Iona I missed as I was busy doing something else probably carving something, but quite often what happens is some people get up a bit too late and the momentum goes out of doing Bushcraft stuff.
Now is there really a need for inviting someone new along to teach us a few things, I personally do not, I have looked at quite a few threads where Paul is mentioned and have a high respect for him knowing that he is shall we say a grand fella who knows his stuff, people who have had tuition from him regard him highly, and let it be known.
That's my view on things, by the way, most of you who are regulars know that I am usually very lethargic, I'm still working on that, so yes I don't do as much as I should, or would like to do.
One other point I would like to mention about our meetings is, it has not been as busy since the two occasions one after the other when somebody new, on each occasion, had been a bit loud, and very loud after having had far too much alcohol,
not much was said about it but it does ruin a good weekend.
What do you guys think about alcohol and sharps together around a camp fire, I for one think everything in moderation as sometimes the banter goes far too far and personal when people drink to excess.

See you there guys.
Regards/ respect

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Feel free to tell me to wind my neck in if I'm pushing too much, but I've set up a separate thread for people to put down things they'd like to learn at the meets.

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96155&p=1161603#post1161603

Hopefully our most generous members will be able to help us out.

You push away Jack, im all for doing things at meets, everyone, and i do mean everyone, has something to offer, it might be the most basic of things, but we all had to learn the basics at some point.

Before you say, you cant teach anything, wrong, you taught me about teaching a left hander, i still use that trick you showed me to this day and it works a treat - cheers mate.

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
You push away Jack, im all for doing things at meets, everyone, and i do mean everyone, has something to offer, it might be the most basic of things, but we all had to learn the basics at some point.

Before you say, you cant teach anything, wrong, you taught me about teaching a left hander, i still use that trick you showed me to this day and it works a treat - cheers mate.

+1 the great thing about meets/moots is the the two-way peer to peer nature of it.

@ Hugo
I can't remember where it's from (the Bushmoot I think) but there's a line "when the beers come out the sharps go away". That seems sensible to me.

@Jack
Items added on other thread.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
when somebody new, on each occasion, had been a bit loud, and very loud after having had far too much alcohol, not much was said about it but it does ruin a good weekend.

Well said:)

What do you guys think about alcohol and sharps together around a camp fire.

Alcohol and sharps dont mix, as Swallow quite rightly says, when the booze comes out, the sharps go away, can i also add, that sharps when not being used, also need to be sheathed or masked and put away, not just left laying on the ground, and if people want to use someone elses tools - ASK, dont just assume it's going to be ok, it's not, it took me ages to get the damage on one of my Orfords repaired after one meet, where someone decided they would just help themselves to MY tools, this is despite the fact they were in a closed and buckled down leather pouch.

F7144

Tenderfoot
Oct 18, 2011
Kent
I too have had to sort out damage to a cutting tool someone abused, in my case it was a knife. Kepis is right any cutting tool should be stored correctly when not in use. A common error I observed at the 2 meets I have been to, were bow saws lying in ambush by the wood pile.

Hugo my names Luke not Lee, don't worry I have been called far worse!

Looking forward to getting out at Broadstone, hopefully next month.

Luke
Greencraft

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Beer and when it's dark is when sharps should go away IMO.

I'm up for any tutorials, but find that when I bring the brats I have no time for anyone until it's dark. Oh the joys of it. (When I'm not looking after Spanders and Jack the children take up a lot of time too :lmao:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE