Sussex Bushcraft group meet for MAY: 25th to 27th

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Cool. Hugo, if your desperate to get sewing, a small bag to fill with lead shot for a throw line would be very useful.

Is it the same size as Neil's?

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
I am in the more the merrier camp. That way people feel they own a share of it.

Neils chute was stored in a nylon mesh bag the size of a big bag of potatoes or oranges. It is probably best to see how big ours is before we make or find a bag for it. As for Rope, yes some blue poly rope would get us going but some 10mm climbing rope would be better. We will need more than you think of it as the span between the 2 trees that neil was putting his up was a good 20 yards at least, plus 10 yards min at each end & you are looking at needing 50 or 60 yards to be on the safe side.

Neumo, same again, if you would like some cash for sorting out the pre booking, let me know and pm me your PayPal details.

No that is fine. I paid £15 deposit for each of the 4 meets & at the last meet I took a £5 out of the kitty + my 2 nights and it worked out exactly right when I paid the bill, as they take the £15 deposit off the bill. I like the idea of booking up several meets in advance so people can plan round it, so paying the deposit worked well.

Last edited:

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
Regarding the 'chute, as generous as Loenja & hellobayo are, shall we restrict the benefactors to 11 to make the sums easier or hold out for one more & make it £4 each?

Seems easier to me to keep it rounded to £5 and see where we get to, then other options open up like

1. Whoever stores it doesn't pay.
2. Widu13 doesn't pay (as he put the effort in of getting it).
3. There's a budget for any add ons/other kit we find we might we want to add to the setup (nothing in mind and not planning to get kit heavy or anything).
etc.

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
I suggest we all put £5 in, as it is a nice round number. That means that Andy gets paid back at the next meet & we will probably have a bit left over. We will need to get some other bits like some decent rope, a carabiner etc..so the excess can pay for that. If someone can make a tough tennis ball sized bag full of sand, which is probably better than lead, with a good tie on point for a small diameter throw rope then that would be good; I have some washing line thin poly rope (3mm?) that would do to get us started. We may also need some extra paracord for tie outs & maybe buy some 12" plastic pegs if we don't want to make them each time? What do you think?

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
I think we get the tielines with this one, which is great. That saves us having to put 20 or so 10' lengths of paracord on it, plus we don't have to use stones to attach the lines to the chute as it should already be fixed on.

Ive got a big(ish) net bag that I don't mind donating.

Nice, if you can bring that long that would be good & we can see if it fits in or not.

Last edited:

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
How many pegs do we need? I don't mind buying those. Thinking about getting some MSR Groundhogs for my tarp anyway

I know the original lines are good but they're difficult to see at night... I don't mind using my white starter cord (or can buy another reel - it was £8 for 100m) that should be a bit more visible.

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
Well lets bring some bits along & have a play at the next meet. We can try different pegs, maybe replace the guy lines or add some kind of marker to them to stop people tripping over them if it is a problem. It depends what people want to do. If the chute has lines already on it then it probably makes sense to keep those on & we can add something to the lines to stop people tripping over them.

I know that neil used to make up 20 or so pegs each time, so it may be nice if we had a peg bag with enough big pegs for all the chutes lines.

If you are after some cool tent pegs then look at these Alpkit ones:

http://www.alpkit.com/shop/cart.php?target=category&category_id=287

I use the spikes & they are good as you don't get much mud on them when you pull them out of the ground; a quick wipe on some vegetation and you are done. Some of the V shaped ones. like my old plastic ones really needed scrubbing in a sink to get the mud off.

Last edited:

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
How many pegs do we need? I don't mind buying those. Thinking about getting some MSR Groundhogs for my tarp anyway

I know the original lines are good but they're difficult to see at night... I don't mind using my white starter cord (or can buy another reel - it was £8 for 100m) that should be a bit more visible.

I've seen Reflector/Lumious (can remember which) tent lines in poundland.

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
'Chute has arrived but although initial checks inside the house look good I can't spread it out in the garden to check yet due to the weather.

Spandit, lines are attached. They are white paracord about 7m long each- unsealed and loose, i.e. not gathered...guess I've a bit of work to do there then!

Rope- climbing rope is fearsomely expensive which would explain why JC says they use it at work until it falls into tiny bits. 10mm rope may be nice but a bit OTT for a chute. Cheapest 6mm I've seen is £20 for 30m. It may be cheaper to use plastic rope and replace when needed?

Cheap pegs can be bought off the 'bay or poundshop.

@Hugo,

The 'chute is currently tightly packed into a plastic bag measuring 22" x 22" x 9" weighing about 12lbs. Rounded measurements of 2' x 2' x 1' for ease?

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
Well I've just measured my net bag and it ain't that big. It's 20"x17" drawstring. But it might be big enough for lines? Anyway, I'm more than happy to donate it.

We're starting to look like an organised group. Next we'll be holding bush moot south at this rate.

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
@Jack- The lines are permanently attached mate.

I need to inspect the canopy and if I don't gather the lines they'll knot. If I'm going to the trouble of gathering them, I might as well take a few extra seconds to seal the ends. No dramas.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE