Sussex Bushcraft group meet for APRIL: 21st/22nd at Broadstone Warren - FORGE Time!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
OK, no problem. You are welcome along to one of the others we have booked:

Site D4 25[SUP]th[/SUP] May 2012 until 27[SUP]th[/SUP] May 2012
Site N1 22[SUP]nd[/SUP] June 2012 until 24[SUP]th[/SUP] June 2012
Site N1 27[SUP]th[/SUP] July 2012 until 29[SUP]th[/SUP] July 2012

TimD

Tenderfoot
Jan 1, 2011
Coulsdon
Hi,
I'm Tim and really wanted to come along on this weekend but the missus may be putting her foot down as we've been camping with Scouts/Cubs last and this weekend (3 weekends in a row might get messy for me).
However, I may be able to get a day pass if I bring the nipper (10yrs). Would anyone object if we turned up on the Saturday and joined you just for the day?

Regards,
Tim

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Hi,
I'm Tim and really wanted to come along on this weekend but the missus may be putting her foot down as we've been camping with Scouts/Cubs last and this weekend (3 weekends in a row might get messy for me).
However, I may be able to get a day pass if I bring the nipper (10yrs). Would anyone object if we turned up on the Saturday and joined you just for the day?

Regards,
Tim

No objections here, more than welcome

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
silly question, but are there scouts on site? I've just emailed 3 of my local sites, none are willing to take on adults without CRBs, or have you booked the whole site?

TimD

Tenderfoot
Jan 1, 2011
Coulsdon
As an aside, I've got a Scout Troop that always needs occasional helpers (Scout Instructors). On that basis we could get all those willing to help now and again CRB'd.
Might make booking other sites easier. Maybe discuss with you all over the weekend.

Rgds,
Tim

hemdale

Nomad
Jan 30, 2012
London
1 Neumo
2 Spandit (both nights)
3 Kep (possibly +2 depending on the boys exams and their other commitments)
4 SimonH - I'll bring some organic burgers for Spandit because he's such a terrific guy
5 widu13 plus mob.
6 Hugo
7 Swallow + 1
8 Jack
9 Sparex - (both nights)
10 peter_t
11 Wildbill
12 Loenja (il do my best to come)
13 coldmale85 (both nights)
14 beansprout + 1 (one night)
15 Hemdale (one night: Sat 21st)

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
Sadly I can't make this one either, but pressure on my weekends eases soon, and I'll make the May date come hell or high water!

April meet still as follows:

1 Neumo
2 Spandit (both nights)
3 Kep (possibly +2 depending on the boys exams and their other commitments)
4 SimonH - I'll bring some organic burgers for Spandit because he's such a terrific guy
5 widu13 plus mob.
6 Hugo
7 Swallow + 1
8 Jack
9 Sparex - (both nights)
10 peter_t
11 Wildbill
12 Loenja (il do my best to come)
13 coldmale85 (both nights)
14 beansprout + 1 (one night)
15 Hemdale (one night: Sat 21st)

hemdale

Nomad
Jan 30, 2012
London
Hey guys,

I'm glad to come this time ! Can't wait to see you again.
I'm still a bit undecided on the tent + sleeping bag.

If anyone could help me with the tent thing (not to sure about the hammock concept) ? I still don't know which one to get but I don't want to do a rush purchase (unless I find the right one within a week :You_Rock_)
However, I'm considering the following sleeping bags below, your input is more than welcome:

http://www.heinnie.com/Sleeping-Bags/Carinthia-Sleeping-Bags/Carinthia-Defence-4/p-518-552-3804/

I'll probably get a Thermarest mattress as well.

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
Get yourself a decent sleeping bag as you will need one of those wherever you end up sleeping. That bag looks good & you have a lot of choice at that price range. A mat is also a good thing to have. After that you can think about a bivi-bag or hammock, with a tarp of some kind. All can be found fairly cheaply with hammocks & tarps being found at £30 odd a piece if not cheaper. A tent may be a good way to go if you think you will get the use out of one but many ground dwellers at our meets just use a tarp as top cover.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Hemdale,

Look for my post about the Dutch sleep system - you get a Defence 4 AND a Tropen for £70...

Not for everyone, though, they are bulky & once zipped up, very claustrophobic

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Have a look at these Bruce, they do the job perfectly and a complete set up will cost a fraction of that bag you are looking at

Sleeping Bag, ive used my Arctic bag in Sweden in the winter and been toasty warm, might be a bit of overkill for the summer here though, all depends on how hot or cold you sleep, i sometimes just unzip it & use it as quilt rather than a bag if i get too hot sleeping in it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/British-A...Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item3f1612ecb9

Bivi bag

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/British-A...Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item256f5ec82e

Sleeping mat

http://www.alpkit.com/sleeping-mats

Ive used this combination for years and never been cold, use either in a tent or under a tarp, warm, dry & comfy, if you sleep cold, add a silk sleeping bag liner for an extra few degrees of warmth.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
OK, no problem. You are welcome along to one of the others we have booked:

Site D4 25[SUP]th[/SUP] May 2012 until 27[SUP]th[/SUP] May 2012
Site N1 22[SUP]nd[/SUP] June 2012 until 24[SUP]th[/SUP] June 2012
Site N1 27[SUP]th[/SUP] July 2012 until 29[SUP]th[/SUP] July 2012

Thats Great thank you, I just spoken with my mate and looks like we will be going to visit you on the May weekend, all depend on work giving us the Friday off.

Apr 3, 2012
East Sussex
Sounds like a good bit of kit there, but 2 essentials are missing

1. A chair

2. Sausages

But to be serious, and yes I can be serious, think, if it rains, do I have shelter. If I get wet can I get dry. If its cold can I get warm and sleep. This you can try out in the comfort of your own garden just to make sure.

Then comes the nice bits, can I get comfy round the fire, can I start a fire, can I cook food and eat it. Can I make a brew (or seven). Have I got something that I want to do.

Not sure that helps much, but you never know. Looking forward to seeing the old guard and some new faces.

Ok so the my lack of seating was bugging me so i've splashed out yet again on a thermarest trekker chair thingy which should do the trick, as for the rest of the list I will be bringing sausages of some sort with me,not sure they'll be of the quality to which you guys seem accustomed though, only one thig you recommended hasnt been ticked off,the garden,trapped in a top floor flat,hence the need to escape!as for the something to do i have a billhook that i'd like to put an edge on if anyone would be kind enough to give me a hand? really looking forward to it now, seems like its going to be bustling!

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I'll be bringing my new Lansky Puck axe sharpener so we can give it a go. Chair sounds posh, but not sure if you'll take Neumo's crown in that department!

Simon H

Nomad
Feb 20, 2008
The Ashdown Forest
I can bring a few sharpening bits to try out too. So to recap as I'll get my order in this week, it's a couple of burgers for Robin, and Jack what kind of sausages do you want? I had chippolatas last time but they do a huge variety. You can't have them all though sausage fiend!

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
There is nothing wrong with a decent fireside chair, especially on a Sunday morning while having the first tea of the day. Don't see too many people lining up to sit on your chair when you go for a wander... :)

For those who can't make this one we hope to see you all in May. Only a week to go now & started to get excited.

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
@simon H - hmmmmmmmmmmm sausages. Chippolates for breakfast, if you can make it for 2 nights, can I get 8 (4 for each morning). Surprise me with the flavour, just nothing too spicy. Let me know how much I owe you.

Managed to get hold of three files and one mahooosive file that I have no idea what to do with. Also got a bt of train rail coming, but not sure if it will be here in time. Will see what I can sort out. Charcoal is done, not going to be able to do any more in time. Now to get everything sorted Sunday so I can get over ASAP Friday.

Camt remember getting this excited about Christmas as a kid.

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
There is nothing wrong with a decent fireside chair, especially on a Sunday morning while having the first tea of the day. Don't see too many people lining up to sit on your chair when you go for a wander... :)

Dave, you make it sound like I was mocking your chair - I was intimating that we all covet your chair!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE