Sussex BCUK Meet for SEPTEMBER: Fri 27th to Sunday 29th

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
This is a site that has not been used for a few years but which they are opening up for use after several years of being left. I am not 100% sure where it is, only that it is east of A4. John in the office says it should be a good site for us with lots of wood, so check with the office when you get in if you are in doubt

sausage100uk

Settler
May 4, 2013
United Kingdom
Thinking about stuff to do on the saturday would anyone be interested in some first aid/second aid type skills? or have you already got medic-y type people involved?

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
Yes that sounds like a good idea if people are interested. Wayne is coming who also teaches this & may be able to help. What to do with some basic bushcraft type accidents would be good i.e. different knife cuts, axe in leg etc..

Last edited:

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
Yes that sounds like a good idea if people are inyerested. Wayne is coming who also teaches this & may be able to help. What to do with some basic bushcraft type accidents would be good i.e. different knife cuts, axe in leg etc..

I'd be interested in that.

I'm planning to practice straightforward water purification - basically filtering & boiling - if anyone would be interested in joining me?

Also, I've salvaged two old-fashioned kettles - ie ones you boil on a hob, so suitable for over-the-fire use - which were about to be skipped at my son's rugby club. I'll bring them along. Anyone who wants them can have them.

sausage100uk

Settler
May 4, 2013
United Kingdom
I was thinking of something like
head injuries, wrist and ankle injuries, allergic reactions, that sort of thing. Also what to expect/do if you have to call 999.

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
I'm currently still in certificate (and was trained as a team medic), but I know that much of the group has little to no knowledge of field first aid. Those subjects you propose would be ideal.

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
It would be good to get a few peoples views on how to deal with common injuries that we need to deal with when out in the woods. In my experience quite a few bushcrafters have first aid training, as it is a wise thing to have (along with a suitable FAK with you whenever you are out). I have done a 2 day day 'Wilderness First Aid' course, that goes a bit further than the standard 'First Aid at Work', but plan to do some more training soon.

Leather Owl

Jan 7, 2013
Arundel, West Sussex
Hi Guys, is there room for one more? Have not managed to get to your meetings before so would be a newcomer. Will arrive Friday and leave Sunday morning if that's OK.

Questions:
1. What is the earliest time too arrive on Friday?
2. Are there trees on site to pitch a hammock and tarp or is it tent on the ground?
3. What is the situation regarding food? Do I cater for myself or bring group grub? If the latter what do I bring?
4. Apart from general kit is there anything else that would be useful to bring along?

Tony (Leather Owl)

Leather Owl

Jan 7, 2013
Arundel, West Sussex
Hi Guys, is there room for one more? Have not managed to get to your meetings before so would be a newcomer. Will arrive Friday and leave Sunday morning if that's OK.

Questions:
2. Are there trees on site to pitch a hammock and tarp or is it tent on the ground?
3. What is the situation regarding food? Do I cater for myself or bring group grub? If the latter what do I bring?
4. Apart from general kit is there anything else that would be useful to bring along?

Tony (Leather Owl)

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
Yes please do come along. Here are some answers to your questions:

From about 1pm onwards is good. You need to be aware of the '24 hours' on site rules, as stated in the opening post; so if you come at 1p on Friday but leave after 1pm on Sunday then that is an extra day.

Yes it is part of Ashdown forest, so there are a few trees. Each pitch is different but there is always somewhere to put a hammock up.

Normally we self cater but sometimes we do a group meal

A chair for sitting round the fire on is good. Apart from that just your normal kit, teas stuff etc...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE