Surviving the Garden

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
The trouble with running away from home when you own it, is that you eventualy have to go back...

...And I think I am at that stage in my life...

I have no end of housing trouble, and am trying hard to work out what to do...money would be a help. I have not got that.

And the garden. Dad is complaining of Uncontacted tribes. Next door suspect a Muntjac.

(Next door have completley removed anything remotley green from their garden and its all gravel now...I fear a certain bias. However with the Muntjac increase in this country, -have been present in the village some time...I suspect a Muntjac too.)

What I need is a regular gardener, -even a one off.

I propose, when lockdown ends (at least no decision has to be made before then) a Garden Obliteration party.

Id like some people to come help me clear, maybe have a few bonfires, get rid of as much overgrown stuff as possible. you can bring and use what tools you feel like, and camp out.

(Or inside, I have lots of space there too)

That should make the place more civilised looking...and remove the Muntjac (if there is one)

As for the long term...I am not sure what to do?

Offer space to grow stuff in return for basic management? Is such an agreement feasible?

I am in North Wilshire.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Well, got a letter.

Its from Next Door.

They are sick of getting my weeds through the fence and want me to do something about it.

When lockdown ends, anyone want to come to a Garden Obliteration Party?

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Well, got a letter.

Its from Next Door.

They are sick of getting my weeds through the fence and want me to do something about it.

When lockdown ends, anyone want to come to a Garden Obliteration Party?

I think its fair that your neighbours are asking you to uphold some element of general garden tidiness.

As we are all in lockdown currently can I enquire what is stopping you from going out with the tools you do possess and doing some Garden Maintenance??

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Its a too big job for just one person

Clearing a suburban garden isn't too big for one person of normal fitness.
You might not finish it all quickly, but make a start at one end and just keep going.
Two half hours a day fair adds up, two hours a day, every day, adds up even more.
I ache from head to foot, but an hour a day every day and I get round mine and keep it in order.
You just need to make a start.
In lockdown like this you'll never have a better time to get it done, and the debris taken to the coup as soon as they re-open.

You might not want to do it, but that doesn't mean that you shouldn't.
A really unkempt garden lowers the value of property for the house and it's neighbours, it gives home to vermin and pests like wasps and ants.
Roots block drains, and leaves block gutters too, and that damages property.

Maybe you might think on it as money in the bank of the value of the house, and see if that helps your motivation ?

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
An hour in the morning ( to work up an appetite ) and an Hour in the evening ( to refuel that appetite ) are both nice cool times of the day to do work.

Unless you have full time study at the moment ( in which case you shouldn't be on the forum) as others have said , its all quite doable.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It can be a brilliant excuse to break out the tools !

Machetes, billhooks, laplander saws, et al. And look at the resources you'll uncover :) useful stuff for cordage, basketry, wreath making, etc.,
We've been cutting back overhanging willows this week. I've a bucket load of bark to play with :D
Besides, hard work's good for us and the really deep satisfaction of seeing the job well done is so worth the effort.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
There's something wrong with my back grass. It grows maybe 1" day. all summer. Mowed twice a week is just enough.
I built a compost box out of junk lumber. It's just an open box 5' x 5' x 3' deep. All non-woody back yard mess goes in there.

Coming up 20 years at the end of June and the box is 1/2 full.
Its been amazing what all disappears in there (rotten apples, etc).

I suggest that you consider doing the same.
Pack it all down, water it and let it rot at it's own chosen speed.

Reactions: Toddy

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Doing a big garden on your own is a chore and a lot of work.

Thats why I invited you along to help, get some tool use in, have a barbercue, throw a party.

it would be fun.

And incidentaly I am busy doing other things. Im looking for a JOB.

Put me down as a No , thanks for the opportunity however. :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You own the property, it needs upkeep to keep it in good order. The garden maintenance is just part of the upkeep of your asset.
If you don't do the upkeep then it loses value very quickly.

The difference in selling price round here for an unkempt and needing 'work' house vs one in good order starts at £50,000
That's got to be worth the work of a 'chore'. Especially if you don't have spare cash to pay someone else to do it for you.

Even folks who work an 8 to 10 hour day, with commuting time added on, manage to care for their property.
In lock down you are effectively time rich but cash poor. Do the physical work in the garden and it'll also up your own fitness. Invest in your body too :)

Heads down in a garden is great thinking and planning time as well.
You might find just the right strand to follow that leads to the kind of employment you want.

Best of luck with it :)

M

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
how-to-keep-weeds-down.jpg

Tengu,
Time for garden chores is possible.
Garden chores are like creating anything else...you can sink as much time into them as you can, there is always more. You can strim the grass once a month and call it good, or you can mow it every third day and wonder whether you should do it every other day. You can chop down any weed that gets more than 6" tall, or you can finger weed every week...or you can chop down the brambles once a year. A small garden, maintained to the nth degree, can take as much time as a big garden that just gets hacked into an uneasy truce once in a while.

If you do not have time to maintain your garden and keep on the right side of your neighbours I can't help but feel it is because you don't think it important so are filling your time with other things. Job hunting cannot take as much time as actually doing a job. Saying that you can't sounds like justifying not doing something you don't want to do. Some of us have seen you at the Moot and know both what you can do when you put your mind to it, and what you will do when you want something but don't want to have to do it yourself. ;)

Start by just working on the border with the neighbour. Little steps. Maybe this isn't the case, but stranger things have happened...showing willing and effort to clear your garden might make your neighbours look on you more kindly, and one day when you need help they might be more prepared to offer.

Of course, it doesn't help that we don't know what your garden looks like ;) Any photos?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE